Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I read a post about this a few weeks ago, but I could not find anything on a search. Any help is appreciated.

G

·

That metal like screen in the pic? Take a screwdriver to it on the sides until you pry it away just enough to get the screwdriver in there then pry it out.

Takes 5 minutes.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Big Mike. What's the advantage of doing so? I've had several other Fuel Injected performance cars and I have know about upgrading to a larger MAF, but I have never heard of descreening the MAF.

G

·
in all honesty, DONT! That screen is there to protect the filiments inside. That hunk of aluminum is VERY expensive to replace should you muff it up. The advantage is about 50 more cubic feet of air, not worth any real gain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
big_mike said:
in all honesty, DONT! That screen is there to protect the filiments inside. That hunk of aluminum is VERY expensive to replace should you muff it up. The advantage is about 50 more cubic feet of air, not worth any real gain.
Its debatable. I've removed them in every GM vehicle I owned. No ill effects. Is there anything to gain? Not sure. It does increase airflow, so with a tune there is probably some gain. The actual reason it is there is to straighten out the airflow for accurate MAF readings. The Z06 MAF does not have one. It has a more direct air inlet which is less turbulant.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's there for a reason. It's controls the turbulence in the air coming in through the MAF. It's not worth the 5HP to take it out. Just get a tune.

G

·
I stand corrected. I always thought it was there to protect the MAF sensors....

In all of GM's vehicles, only the Z06 dont have one. That should tell you something.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many after market MAF meters do not come with a screen either; however, as someone mentioned earlier they have a different inlet design which allowes a better airflow.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
big_mike said:
smart. lol
My wife works weekends, and when I get the kids in bed, I usually go out to the garage and "tinker" on my cars. Lately, my attention has been on the GTO, and I was thinking of removing the screen, but I think I'll leave it go and just wax the goat again for a lower cD. That should give me an extra 1/10 on Saturday.

G

·
nobody wants to take my advice but I will always give it in hopes someone takes it and realizes the gains I can offer them.

WHEN you get to the track, take out ALL crap that can be taken out, even your CD's and trash from lunch. Take out the spare and jack. Take out the seats if nobody is going with you. Air your front tires up to 45psi. Drain your washer fluid. Drain your overflow tank. Lower rear tire pressure to 28psi. This may sound like a lot to do but its all worth it when you get that timeslip.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
big_mike said:
nobody wants to take my advice but I will always give it in hopes someone takes it and realizes the gains I can offer them.

WHEN you get to the track, take out ALL crap that can be taken out, even your CD's and trash from lunch. Take out the spare and jack. Take out the seats if nobody is going with you. Air your front tires up to 45psi. Drain your washer fluid. Drain your overflow tank. Lower rear tire pressure to 28psi. This may sound like a lot to do but its all worth it when you get that timeslip.
Don't take this too personal. But a few times you have made comments in regards to no one taking your advice. What is your background in automotive performance? You tend to have some good info but if someone doesn't know the experience you have in cars, maybe that's why they don't take your advice. Like I said, don't take this personal because, as far as I see it, you know quite a bit. But maybe others need to know a little bit more about you before they move forward with your ideas that's all. So don't stop giving advice because more than you know may be using it :cheers

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
Don't take this too personal. But a few times you have made comments in regards to no one taking your advice. What is your background in automotive performance? You tend to have some good info but if someone doesn't know the experience you have in cars, maybe that's why they don't take your advice. Like I said, don't take this personal because, as far as I see it, you know quite a bit. But maybe others need to know a little bit more about you before they move forward with your ideas that's all. So don't stop giving advice because more than you know may be using it :cheers
As with most advice on the internet, mine and big mikes and groucho's and yours too, is worth every cent you pay for it. LOL.

G

·
My automotive background started when I was 15 years old and met a guy named Steve. He was 17 and had learned auto mechanics from his dad who had 40 years experience. Steve had a 68 camaro that I worked on with him, and his best friend was Tommy who had his own race car/business. So by hanging around these guys, I learned the old school mechanics and when I finally got my own car (91 mustang 5.0 vert) I started tinkering with it. Then I met Joe, who was an avid street racer and his best friend was Jesse who was a chemical engineer and also an ASE certified mechanic. So from these two guys, I learned how to take my automotive knowledge and apply it to the street. Then I moved on from the mustang to camaro's, then on to a vette (bad move). Through all 6 of my cars, I learned what does and does not work, what limit the street has, the track has, and how to win races without spending money.

I would love to know everyone else's background also, and although I never got any formal education from a school, I learned there is no better teacher than experience. And currently, at 32, I got 17 years of it.

-Mike

P.S. - thanks for the compliment 6QTS, it means a lot to me. :-D And I will never stop giving advice, not as long as I am breathing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.