Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I try not to hit stuff with them... :) Just messing, I wash them like any other painted surface. I try not to use anything abrassive on them and use a soft cloth to dry them off. I apply gloss with a towel to just the outside rubber and not the wheels and tread. Otherwise common sense. But that is just me on the painted wheels option. Anyone else?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Mickey21 said:
I try not to hit stuff with them... :) Just messing, I wash them like any other painted surface. I try not to use anything abrassive on them and use a soft cloth to dry them off. I apply gloss with a towel to just the outside rubber and not the wheels and tread. Otherwise common sense. But that is just me on the painted wheels option. Anyone else?
On my tires I use a product by Stoner. It's called More Shine Less Time. It 's a spray on tire dressing. I have used many, many, many tire shine products and NONE shine like this. If you like the wet gloss look on your tires, this will do it. Some guys don't like the gloss look, but I do... I figure if my car shines, why not the tires.

As for wheel cleaning, I use a wheel cleaning brush to get out the dirt and grime in the nook and cranies and behind the spokes using car wash soap. For polishing, I will use wax a few times a year. Between waxes, I will shine them with Stoner Invisible glass cleaner, or Maguires NXT speed detail.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I treat the painted wheels just like the rest of the painted surface of the car.
Gentle wash & dry…periodic wax…and a wipe down with a quick detailer & a microfiber towel in between washings. A wheel brush will get grime behind the spokes. For the dressing (usually Meguiars Gold Class Endurance Gel), I put the product on small applicator , then wipe the tire outer edge. The shine seems to hold up well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wash the car, and wheels, every week. Use a mild car wash shampoo. Use two buckets: One car shampoo and water, the other rinse water and DO NOT rinse in the fresh water/shampoo bucket.

Wax the wheels just like I do the rest of the car about once a quarter. Keep the car in the garage or otherwise shaded if at all possible.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well first thing I did was change the brake pads to GM ceramic pads. They make a lot less brake dust,wich helps the wheels stay cleaner a lot longer. Then like everyone else ,I just treat my wheels like any other painted surface on the car.:cheers

·
Registered
344 Posts
What about rust from brake rotors? I clean inside of rims only to find rust stains from vented rotors. Is there anything I can do to rotors to keep them from dripping rust stains on rims? 18” rims are ez to clean but the inside is ez to see also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.