Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been drivin a stick for about a month now..... I love drivin fast and I have no problem with "normal" drivin....but I want to expierence the FUN that everyone is talkin about when they say..."You have more fun with a stick than with an auto." If you could....

could some one tell me how to
launch these babies right (cause I have tried and I always end up smokin the clutch).....
and how to Spin the tires......(thats probably a duh...but just let me know)

thanks....

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you are trying to launch for traction then starting to slip the clutch while bringing the rpm's from 2k up should work well. You are trying to keep it on verge of wheelspin. If you are trying to sit in one place and do a burnout then take it to 5k, drop the clutch and get on the brake as quick as you can and the car will sit there as melt those KDWS'.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If you're on a track dump the clutch and sit back and wait for the horrible banging sound of the rear wheels hopping.

·
Registered
48 Posts
PEARL JAM said:
If you're on a track dump the clutch and sit back and wait for the horrible banging sound of the rear wheels hopping.
That's when ya put it in 2nd. She'll settle down at the back and you can ease of the gas a bit and keep spinning. Work the brake with the left foot. Smoke screen here we come.

For "ChuckDaGreat", just dump the clutch, don't be scared we all know you can do it. You should be no where near smoking the clutch because it should be either in or out. I know that there isn't much room in the foot well but to avoid smoking the clutch try pushing the clutch all the way in and sliding ya foot of to the left instead of riding it out.

I usually go up to 3-4K in revs, little insurance to make sure ya breaking traction, in the wet its obviously easier, as people know how easy this thing will break lose when ya want it.

Enjoy!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
ChuckDaGreat said:
I have only been drivin a stick for about a month now..... I love drivin fast and I have no problem with "normal" drivin....but I want to expierence the FUN that everyone is talkin about when they say..."You have more fun with a stick than with an auto." If you could....

could some one tell me how to
launch these babies right (cause I have tried and I always end up smokin the clutch).....
and how to Spin the tires......(thats probably a duh...but just let me know)

thanks....
JATO kit. Great launch with zero wheelspin.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You dont want to blow off your tires but alittle wheel slippage is a good thing. You'll get the best traction with around 10% wheel slippage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Probably a silly question but are you guys launching with traction control on or off? Its been a while since I put a car on the track and no cars had it back then.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been wondering that as well.....I turn T/C off and I can have big fun drivin this thing...but with it on...Its kinda limited I think...I think in order to launch properly you have to have the T/C off....Well at least that is how I have been practicing it....Am I wrong?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Smokin' the tires is fun, but its expensive and definitely NOT the fast way off the line. I'd practice keeping the power down on launch, cause once you are at the track adrenaline will kick in and you are likely to cook the tires. At least that was my experience the first few times down the 1/4 in a really fast car. I haven't done it for a long while but I plan to head to the track this fall after I get a few thousand miles on my new goat.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I know that ChuckDaGreat started this post about the m6 transmission, but any advice for launching the a4. I have asked before, but with no replies. The main question I have as of right now is why I can't bring the rpms past 1400 while trying to power break. Is there some kind of governor preventing more rpms, or is this the torque management system that gets removed in a tune.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
the best thing i have found is to NOT rev her up past 2k rpm and don't "pop" the clutch. just let the clutch out quickly. with this method i've gotten 1.985 - 60ft with my KDWS and 1.882 - 60ft with my Nitto DRs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.