Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm looking for a set of long tube headers for my 2004 GTO with a 6-speed, and K&N CAI. :cheers

I know I want them to be 300 series stainless steel, and 1-3/4" primary tubes. My biggest problem is that its very hard to find out who out there really makes the best ones, in regards to HP increase over stock. :confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Call a few tuners and see what type of results they have had with the various headers.

Also, if you are planning a blower later, you should make sure they know that as well. Heat can be an issue, depending on other mods. Size does matter if additional mods are added too.

Good luck! You will LOVE the sound of Headers and exhaust! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
Well, I have heard that Stainless Works and Kooks are the best... but, dyno #'s wise we have gotten the best out of SLP! The fit is awesome, they are very well priced (from me anyway...) and the finish is very nice! Pm me and I'll hook you up! :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
They are all close in HP and TQ gains. I went with Stainless Works they work and fit great. I went with Stainless works because of the random tech cat imo they are the best aftermarket cats for the money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Robw_29 said:
They are all close in HP and TQ gains. I went with Stainless Works they work and fit great. I went with Stainless works because of the random tech cat imo they are the best aftermarket cats for the money.

Good Point! :cheers: I forgot to mention the EASE of Install! Some will end up being MUCH easier to install than others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
GTODEALER said:
Well, I have heard that Stainless Works and Kooks are the best... but, dyno #'s wise we have gotten the best out of SLP! The fit is awesome, they are very well priced (from me anyway...) and the finish is very nice! Pm me and I'll hook you up! :cheers
Agree here. Now, doing what "research" I have, there's talk about cooking the starter (too close - no coating) and not being able to get the starter off.

Now, in the "other" forum I made reference to this in "Tejas" section and nearly got flamed and got the BS flag ran up on me, but I was just writing of what I heard from more than one person.

I'm just like anyone else that doesn't want to be cooking their starter and then find out you gotta take of the frikkin header to replace the aledged cooked starter. Still have no definative answer :eek: Oh, there's some pics of clearance there, too, fyi :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
westell said:
Agree here. Now, doing what "research" I have, there's talk about cooking the starter (too close - no coating) and not being able to get the starter off.

Now, in the "other" forum I made reference to this in "Tejas" section and nearly got flamed and got the BS flag ran up on me, but I was just writing of what I heard from more than one person.

I'm just like anyone else that doesn't want to be cooking their starter and then find out you gotta take of the frikkin header to replace the aledged cooked starter. Still have no definative answer :eek: Oh, there's some pics of clearance there, too, fyi :D
Thanks, I've got 11k miles on my car and no cooked starter! The ceramic coating does help, and the SLP headers only take around 3.5 - 4.0 hours to install (if you've done a couple...). Let me know if you're interested! :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
GTODEALER said:
Thanks, I've got 11k miles on my car and no cooked starter! The ceramic coating does help, and the SLP headers only take around 3.5 - 4.0 hours to install (if you've done a couple...). Let me know if you're interested! :cheers
With the SLP L/M on, and ceramic coating, I'm thinking that's the way to go.

And, I'm sure I can take any 4 hour job and turn it into 12 hours, or is that 12 beers :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
westell said:
With the SLP L/M on, and ceramic coating, I'm thinking that's the way to go.

And, I'm sure I can take any 4 hour job and turn it into 12 hours, or is that 12 beers :cheers
That's exactly what I have - cats.... and I believe it's 24 beers..... or is that a keg?????
 
1

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
GTODEALER said:
Well, I have heard that Stainless Works and Kooks are the best... but, dyno #'s wise we have gotten the best out of SLP! The fit is awesome, they are very well priced (from me anyway...) and the finish is very nice! Pm me and I'll hook you up! :cheers
^ this guy will hook you up somthing ferce i get all my stuff from steve he's 1 cool ass mofo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
THEHERDER said:
If put on a set of long tube headers but leave the rest of the exhaust stock what will happen.
I would say, that you will muffle the sound a bit and waste a bit of potential power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
so,,,if a person could not fund both at once, it would be better to go with catback first?? or headers??? or does it matter as long as one follows the other?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Here's what it would sound like... With Stock muffs..

http://media.putfile.com/2K4GTO61

Westell, you won't be disappointed. I was thrilled poopless when I installed these.

As far as a power loss is concerned, there is a definate difference (in a positive way)...

Edit: Thanks GTODEALER for the compliment. I was going to take a lot of pics of the install but I just got to wound up in what I was doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
Longtubes first, if you can afford it. You will loose a little flow with the stock cat-back but you can always remedy that. I sell the l.t.'s from SLP with cats and coated for 999.00 and the SLP Loudmouth cat back for 489.00, let me know! :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
I worded that wrong… It should have been “As for a power loss, there is none, there is a definite difference (in a positive way). “ I write in a Word file and sometimes I make changes afterwords and forget to proofread….

Anyway, I have never noticed any loss of power....

It is indeed the SLP LT with highflow cats and stock muffs.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top