Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows how hot the LS2 can get before any damage (long or short term) can occur? I was low on coolant and did not know it and the temp guage went up to the "H" mark - max. I figured out on the guage that is about 340-350 degrees F. By the time I could pull over and shut it off, probably about 2 minutes elapsed. Cooling fans stayed on even after I shut it down for probably 5-6 minutes. Then I added about 3/4 of a gallon of coolant, and all is well.

G

·
too hot is when the motor freezes up and everything is melted together. What happened to you was a good catch and everything should be fine. Change your oil as soon as possible and check for debris.

G

·
big_mike said:
too hot is when the motor freezes up and everything is melted together. What happened to you was a good catch and everything should be fine. Change your oil as soon as possible and check for debris.

LMAO .. please dont wait till it gets to that point.....

H is way too hot...did you check you cooling system? oil?

oh ya and never place anything cold on the motor when its hot .. alum/ceramic blocks crack .. LOL :willy: :party:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, if the fans ran after you shut it down, it was up to at least 241 degrees :willy: (assuming you haven't had a tune done that modified the fan turn on points). However, if you didnt get an overtemp warning it was below 252. Thats when the engine goes into overtemp protection mode, and should tell you on the DIC...not sure though never had it that hot. Just downloaded my car's tune with EFILive and thats what the defaults are.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
1337vending said:
Well, if the fans ran after you shut it down, it was up to at least 241 degrees :willy: (assuming you haven't had a tune done that modified the fan turn on points). However, if you didnt get an overtemp warning it was below 252. Thats when the engine goes into overtemp protection mode, and should tell you on the DIC...not sure though never had it that hot. Just downloaded my car's tune with EFILive and thats what the defaults are.
You can run the LS2 for up to 50 miles without any coolant without damaging the engine. The overtemp protection mode basically turns the car into an air cooled engine. It shuts down the fuel injectors to some of the cylinders. The engine then pumps air which cools that cylinder. It alternates which cylinder it shuts down to maintain an even temperature. It is recomended that you change your oil after this occurs, and from what it sounds like you probably should think about changing yours as some cheap insurance.

The next thing you need to do is find out where your missing coolant went to.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I changed the oil today - it did not smell burned, but I would not really know what to look for! The overtemp warning alarm was sounding when it happened. As far as the missing coolant, I neglected to explain - I had just put in a 160 T-stat, so it was still a little low after putting it all back together. I was driving it a little to get it circulated and get any trapped air out and I got stuck on a road where I had to turn around and go back.

Thanks everyone for the information. I figured it had some sort of protection mode, but was not sure. The car seems to be running fine. I just need to get a tune done now to lower the temp for the fans to kick on, otherwise the 160 does little good compared to the stock 187.5, because if you stop for a short time, the temp slowly creeps back up to the 190 mark until you get going again.

G

·
just a tip for next time,

Drill a small hole in the 'ring' of the thermostat, just through the metal, this will allow air to escape through it, and thus not get air bound when you refill it,

also, don't drive it until the coolant has 'burped' and gone down signaling that it's gotten a good amount of the air out of the engine. Just let it idle for a while with the heat on low, if you don't have heat, you don't have flow, and it's not ready yet.

G

·
b_a_betterperson said:
If you ever get into a situation where your engine's running really hot -- put the heater and fan on full blast. You're drawing heat out of the engine and dumping it into the passenger compartment that way.

hopefully your not in the texas summer heat while doing this.........

·
Registered
156 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
If you ever get into a situation where your engine's running really hot -- put the heater and fan on full blast. You're drawing heat out of the engine and dumping it into the passenger compartment that way.
I've had to do that a few times in my truck this summer. 95+ in Florida in traffic with the heat on full blast = no fun at all!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I HATE the Temp gauge on the GTO, why couldn't they put numbers on it. My Vette ran at any where from 192 degrees, all the way up to 230 240 idling in traffic in the summer heat, I have no idea what the GTO is running. Is the middle of the Temp gauge 200 degrees, I'm guessing. Does anyone know?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.