Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hell you charge $47,000 for a new 2SS Camaro? GM are you kidding me?

I was at my local Stealership yesterday to schudule an appointment for my wifes car. Well after that I saw a bunch of Camaros on the lot. So the wife and I wanted to take a gander at them. Well after being bombarded by three salesman: Manager sucking up to me, a newbe and later a Camaro "expert":rolleyes:. Seems to be a big shake up at that dealer or GM:confused. But anyway looking at the almost loaded to the gills 2SS Camaro, I think the MSRP was $44k and dealer markup was $2.5k with some Xillen(sp) paint protection at $500, huh?:shutme Looking at some others(V8's) the price was around $40k.

Maybe one of you can set me stright but is this were the inflation should be? I had the window sticker for my 84 WS6 Trans Am and it was around $20,000 MSRP. My wife wants one but she may have to settle for a used one in a coulple years:lol:

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Humm, interesting.

I guess I'm use to seeing the 4th Gen F-bodys in the low $30k and also the GTO's in the $30k's. Those cars had little to no options available too.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I wouldn't even consider a 1SS, which seems to be 90% of the ones zipping around these parts. I gots to have me them 4 squirrely looking gauges below the radio that would probably get you killed if not drive off the road if you actually studied them too long. The cheapest 2SS I saw around here was 36 thousand, and that was with no racing stripes and standard 2SS rims. They do offer some wicked optional rims, (think it may of had a sunroof, not sure)but you're looking at like 4 or 5 grand, something ridiculous, for the option.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Local dealer to me, Kelly Cheverlot, is selling them at MSRP or even less. They offered me $10k trade in for my GTO over the winter for a 1SS but if I were to do it I would wait for year end so I can get 7%/72 months... plus I doubt I'll be buying a GM car anytime soon.

It is funny though that they mark cars up after we bailed them out... if anything, it should be customer appreciation and selling that at what they shoudl be. Online, they are priced all over the place. I've seen used ones cost more then new ones even.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't even consider a 1SS, which seems to be 90% of the ones zipping around these parts. I gots to have me them 4 squirrely looking gauges below the radio that would probably get you killed if not drive off the road if you actually studied them too long. The cheapest 2SS I saw around here was 36 thousand, and that was with no racing stripes and standard 2SS rims. They do offer some wicked optional rims, (think it may of had a sunroof, not sure)but you're looking at like 4 or 5 grand, something ridiculous, for the option.
I just wish cars came more barebone. I don't want alot of stuff that comes standard on most cars. Some of it you can't get rid of and some you are going to chuck anyway because you want to do your own customization. I'll take a new Camaro with steel wheels, no stereo, ect.
It is funny though that they mark cars up after we bailed them out... if anything, it should be customer appreciation and selling that at what they shoudl be.
:agree

·
Registered
81 Posts
there is a transformers edition in my city....think the only thing different about em is the badging (transformers logos).

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I saw a yellow one (yeah, I know, Bumblee go figure) at the Birmingham stop of the Hot Rod Power Tour. Even went the extra mile to have Bumblebee airbrushed onto the underside of the hood, along with 4 naked chicks on the underside of the trunk airbrushed standing around a giant airbrushed autobot symbol with lipstick marks on its cheek. Don't know if this badging was something he did himself or if it actually came that way. All autobot sybols where you would normally see bowties. Even in the interior (steering wheel, etc.).

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I just wish cars came more barebone. I don't want alot of stuff that comes standard on most cars. Some of it you can't get rid of and some you are going to chuck anyway because you want to do your own customization. I'll take a new Camaro with steel wheels, no stereo, ect.
I noticed that when I was looking and considering having one built. I wanted to have an orange one built, 1SS, and only wanted a few options from the 2SS(extra guages specifically and afew others that I can't even remember) but they couldn't have it built that way and buying the cluster separate was too much $$ for my tastes. Oh, and the V6 has an option for 18s that look like black steelies... cause that was something I wanted on the SS built(they could actually do that too!)

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
If I were to buy a Camaro, it would definately be a 1SS for two reasons.

Like was said before, most of the stuff that's on there I don't really want.

When you get to mid 40's I'd rather have a base Vette which they discount and you can get for mid 40's.

I'd probably order the dark grey color with no stripes. Sleeper effect to some sort, people think no stripes it must be the V6 model. Grey wouldn't make everyone notice it eother.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would never buy anything new.(edited) i just bought my GTO 2 weeks ago. the window sticker was in the clove box with a 34000k price tag. its got 32000 miles on it i got it for 18k. in a few years you will get a used one for probably around 25000.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
06SixOhGoat. said:
I would never buy anything used.
06SixOhGoat said:
....i just bought my GTO 2 weeks ago. the window sticker was in the clove box with a 34000k price tag. its got 32000 miles on it....
I'm confused. How can both of your quotes be true?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
That's what I thought you meant. I'm curious as to how the Camaro's value will hold up over the next few years.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's what I thought you meant. I'm curious as to how the Camaro's value will hold up over the next few years.
I dunno with GMs market now. and the economy. i don't see them holding there value well unless this economy goes back north. But hey that goes for everything else. i Know with are GTOs we better keep the miles down on them sense Pontiac is no longer in business i think the GTOs will have some nice value come the next 5 to 10 years. maybe?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just imagine if we put even half that much ($40k) into our goats, we'd have cars that would run circles around those overpriced cars. Imagine a goat with the Caddy CTS-V motor! (wonder how much....)
Personally, I don't much care for the Camaro's interior and gunslit windows. Felt like only my head was showing through the window. Test drove one and they are fast but not $47,000 fast, no way. You're gettin' close to Vette territory there.

·
Registered
944 Posts
No matter what you put into a car - it's still worth what it's worth or less with mods (short of bringing back a classic).

A Civic that runs with a ZO6 is still a Civic.

Oh, and I'd rather see GM sell less better cars than more garbage cars. If making a car that's solid means a sticker of 40G+, so be it.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
GM has been pricing cars $3-6,000 above what most people are willing to pay for the type of car offered for a long time. Ongoing problem, even with restructuring, it seems.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Wait a year or two and get a used one if anyone is serious about getting one. Let the sap who is willing to be gouged take the hit. Many of those who have the "have to have one" itch will get a serious dose of wallet misery and realize they need the cash and then make a deal to unload it. Same with the Challengers.

Remember when the 2005 Stang GT came out, customers were waiting in line to be raped by the dealer, same with the Shelby paying 20K "dealer incentive" for the "have to have one" itch. Now those guys who had to have one of those GT's unloaded it and took a royal reaming. No way would I pay more than what the car was meant to be.

I guess GM figures the Nostalgia factor is worth the MSRP. Like the new GTO priced for guys in the middle income level are now being driven by kids as the value came down in a hurry, I expect in 48 months or so to be seeing many of these Camaros in used car dealers lots priced to move. The economy right now is too shaky for many to buying it but hey, so were houses, foreclosures and repos is the "fad" now.

Just got up close with the 2 redone Trans-ams. 80K+ to buy one. HA. The wife is liking the black one, told her its a Camaro with a Pontiac Moniker... I don't see the rage over a "Trans-Cam" but others do.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts