Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as how my tire budget isn't unlimited, I usually drive with the traction control on. Even so, I've been really surprised (in a good way) at how much tire squeal I still get.

I'm not talking smokey burnouts; just the initial squeal upon launch, followed by that "cha-cha-cha" sound as the tires scrabble for traction and finally hook up.

I think it's cool that the t/c was programmed by people who understand that a hard launch in a GTO is going to involve a certain amount of tire slip. When I did a hard launch in my C5 with the t/c on, the electronic nanny kicked in embarrassingly early. Not so in the goat.

Shoot, I've even had the whole backend step sideways on me when I put the throttle down too hard while making a right turn after going through a puddle. Either my t/c isn't working, or it waits a gosh-awful long time to kick in. Better late than never, I guess . . . but better late than way too soon, too!

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
GM Kid said:
Seeing as how my tire budget isn't unlimited, I usually drive with the traction control on. Even so, I've been really surprised (in a good way) at how much tire squeal I still get.

I'm not talking smokey burnouts; just the initial squeal upon launch, followed by that "cha-cha-cha" sound as the tires scrabble for traction and finally hook up.

I think it's cool that the t/c was programmed by people who understand that a hard launch in a GTO is going to involve a certain amount of tire slip. When I did a hard launch in my C5 with the t/c on, the electronic nanny kicked in embarrassingly early. Not so in the goat.

Shoot, I've even had the whole backend step sideways on me when I put the throttle down too hard while making a right turn after going through a puddle. Either my t/c isn't working, or it waits a gosh-awful long time to kick in. Better late than never, I guess . . . but better late than way too soon, too!
I've tried several times at the drag strip to figure out how much it hurts your performance. My C5 was bad also, but this one is a tenth or two.
Just yesterday some guys at work said lets see what it will do. I went 2 parking spots, before I had to turn right. i figured the traction would kick in and keep the rear from coming around. I ended up doing most of a 180 before I let up and got the rear back under control.
IMO they almost have the traction control too loose.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well I auto-x my GTO and tested four laps with T/C on and 4 Laps with T/C off. The results were that the laps with T/C on were consistently 5 Seconds Slower per lap. So there you have it! T/C will hurt your performance when racing, however, on the street it could be nice.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have found in my driving that the TC can be very lienient..........it so much as it lets you test the limits more so, than in any other car I've had.

The 1-4 shift is almost non-existant in my car....I like that!

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
The TC is always on.... To turn it off you must depress the button. If you have the TC off and turn the engine off, it defaults itself to on when the engine is turned on.......

You must turn the TC off, otherwise it is always on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I raced a slightly modified S2000 through the canyons last week. Definitely had to keep the TC off to keep him off my butt. In the higher speed corners and straights I could beat it because of power but in the tighter stuff he had an obvious edge. The GTO is way soft and squishy.

Mods I can hardly wait for:
Hotchkis swaybars
Diablo tuner for the LS2
Lingenfelter CAI
Headers and cat-back

Should be good to go for a while after that until the superchargers hit production.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I personally feel the T/C is a waste. However, I have not had the opportunity to try it in snow. Mine goes off every time I start the car.

A guy on eBay sells a gadget for ~$30 which will automatically kick it off at startup.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Went out and tested (briefly) the T/C issue on long straight runs to 100 mph.

Found the car is slightly more "stiff" at 100 with T/C on than without. Without it feels more... relaxed.

Personally, I'd run the T/C around town and in rain, or on winding mountain roads.

But, straight out cruising down long highways, when the road's dry, turn it off.

That's my take.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.