Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my GTO in to get its first state inspection (PA) yesterday and was shocked when they told me it wouldn't pass...because the rear tires had less than 2/32" of tread left on them! I couldn't believe it, I thought I had been keeping a pretty good eye on them, but apparantly I haven't looked at them in a while...one was down to the inner-tread nub that says "Please replace me" and the other was getting there.

Anyway, I have 6200 miles on the car. I have done 2 weak burnouts and other than that drive pretty normal. The car did have like 1200 miles on it when I bought, though, so it's possible test drivers were going crazy with it, but the tires didn't seem too worn when I got it.

So those of you who have had to replace your rear tires...how many miles did it take?

R

·
0 Posts
here here

my rt rear is gone 9,000 miles too much power not enough tire me too
at least the tire is inexpensive compared to trans am goodyears!!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yah, I think they're shipped with 60psi. I heard that this was done so the tires wouldn't get flat spots because they sit so long. Dealer is supposed to adjust them on delivery. Many people have had problems because sometimes the dealer forgets. This wasn't the case with mine, I run them at 32psi. The reason they wear so much is because of the small footprint and soft rubber. Discount Tire gave me a good deal on replacements, I think it was $400 approx. for the two after taxs, road-hazard etc. were added in. The ones I got have a much better tread pattern to. The old ones didn't make much noise when I burned out, now they make an awesomely oud 'SCREACH' when I smoke them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I think the overinflation was part of my problem. The car about 2000 miles on it before I read about that problem on this forum and checked my car to find all 4 tires up around 50 psi. The right rear tire that is the most worn is also terribly worn in the middle treads and about the same on the outer treads as the other rear tire, a pretty good indicator of overinflation.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Underinflation will also cause the tire to wear more in the middle, but only with highway driving. I'm ready to roll 10k miles and I'll be lucky to make 13k miles. :cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
WOW,

I bought mine used w/ 6,000 miles. It now has 11,500, and only about 1/2 the tread has worn away. The fronts might be a hair worse. I've only done one burnout (a hellacious one) since I've had it, and some days I baby it, and other's I drive the piss out of it. I can't believe yall's tires are gone so quickly?

wierd??? :confused

·
Registered
76 Posts
by the way, what's the replacement tire of choice?

I am thinking about the BFG KDW (in lieu of the KDWS) for just about $20 more a tire. The tread pattern is a LOT cooler too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Too many Tiresmokers??

:cheers You guys have got to be kidding! Less than 12,000 on a set of tires? Is it because of the z speed rating? If so, I'll get harder ones...like I will EVER need a z speed rated tire!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have 9600 on mine, and the rears are shot. I rotatated em, yes I know the front is supposed to be 4/32's, but I wanted to get a little extra life out of them. I was thinking of going with the Toyo Proxes 1s for the next set as well...any complaints? How's the wet and dry traction on the Toyos?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Vader953 said:
by the way, what's the replacement tire of choice?

I am thinking about the BFG KDW (in lieu of the KDWS) for just about $20 more a tire. The tread pattern is a LOT cooler too.
Thats what I opted for on mine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't think you're gonna get any more tread life on a set of our size tires than the ones that come stock. On tire rack it appears all the other options are even more hi performance and are softer/sticker

THe BFG KDWS will last a lot longer than the guys posted here if you don't do burnouts.

But then again.......thats all the fun!

·
Registered
432 Posts
tiresmoker said:
Any ideas on a set of tires you could get 30,000 miles or more out of??
:willy:
Stop doing burnouts and you should be able to get 25,000. I've gotten 25,000 out of Goodyear Eagle F1s, in my Vette.

·
Registered
12 Posts
bsmcall said:
Underinflation will also cause the tire to wear more in the middle, but only with highway driving. I'm ready to roll 10k miles and I'll be lucky to make 13k miles. :cheers
HI my first post, picking up my 05 next Monday, I've been doing alot of research on the tire thing after reading the terrible reports on toasting the stock tires in as little as 3-6,000 miles elswhere on this site. I planned to stop at the tire store right after picking up the new goat for some serious changes.

I have found some interesting things I would like to share.

Reading reviews at the tire rack for comparabler tires resulted in about the same mix of complaints and good reports as the stock BFG which are priced right.

The KDW and KD will help your launch but don't even try winter. Here in Michigan it will be inevitable a light snow will occur when I'm out in spring or fall. So summer tires and wheels are what I'm thinking is the best solution for my situation.

Until I get the tire / traction thing better under control I won't invest much in horsepower upgrades.

However please consider the following footnotes table from the BFG site on inflation at the bottom of the following link

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/gforce_ta_kdws.pdf

You need to increase pressure (up to 7.5 PSI) based on your anticipated speed to avoid wearing the centers out or risking blow out.

Normal passenger tires wear on the edge when under-inflated and in the middle when over-inflated.

Low profile Z rated tires require a little more attention to inflation. Low inflation causes the center to bow out wearing it out quicker, less gas mileage and less overall pavementcontact for cornering at high speed are the other results of underinflation.

Additionally, the MFR recomendation for PSI for the tire is with a cold tire. If you drive even a mile to a gas station to fill your tire it is considered hot. To compensate you need to add up to 4 PSI, recheck when it is cold and make the necessary adjustments.

This is an additiont to the BFG speed recomendations above. (I'm looking for the documentation, I believe saw it on the Speed channel)

I am sorry for the long post but very grateful to have access to this very active and informative resource.

Anybody going to the Woodward dream cruise Detroit, MI? I wouldn't mind being part of any Goat get togethers. Different thread!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts