Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles do you have and what's gone wrong so far (under "normal" use)?

At 88k~ I've replaced the A/C compressor at 80k~ and the radiator at 70k~.

The rest of the parts replacement have been related to aftermarket FI HP/TQ, detonation, mis-shift, etc. So these are not what I consider to be a reliability issue for the GTO.

Overall, I'm very happy with the GTO.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
06 M6 ill hit 42k this week ... paint issues (chipping on drivers side door handle and dark maroon spot on the hood were the latch is/ i have torrid red) and i have a rear seal leak which i need to replace asap.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Parts that failed at no fault to my self.... silver trip peice on e-brake handle had to be glued down, paint chips on door handle, and slight clunk in the rear somewhere but I haven't had a free weekend to check it. Car will be in the air Sunday though. Car has been amazing so far with 63k.

Broken stuff from my friends accident... radiator, full drivers side front suspensiion, passenger tie rod, rim, bumper support, lower grill

Parts that failed at my fault.... brakes, tires, brakes, tires, brakes, tires, tires, AC high pressure line

·
Registered
257 Posts
wait .... jason your friend wrecked you gto?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
wait .... jason your friend wrecked you gto?
I let him take it for a spin last year, and he didn't make it out of the parking lot. Insurance quoted me $8500ish to fix it. Found a front clip online and had it shipped on a palet. Ended up fixing it for about $2500ish. Wasted the rest of the money on a bike, vocation, ect... I kinda wish I would of bought a new front bumper but my paint is in bad enoguh shape if I were gonna do it I'd wanna repaint the whole car... and change the color.

He basically kicked the rear out and went up a curb at about 25mph.

Hmm, no paint chips on my door handle. Do you guys wear rings that could be contributing to this?
It is a very common issue but I don't wear any rings or anything.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Parts that failed at no fault to my self.... silver trip peice on e-brake handle had to be glued down, paint chips on door handle, and slight clunk in the rear somewhere but I haven't had a free weekend to check it. Car will be in the air Sunday though. Car has been amazing so far with 63k.
if you cant find anything wrong its that royal purple you use.. i used it once and changed it for torco. it made a HUGE difference.. also torco is cheaper.. win win. just my opinion:cheers

but i have 80k on my car and the only thing wrong with it is the steering wheel silver is bubbled and the radius rod bushings and strut bushings are shot also the rear tires wear really fast i think its a problem with the gas peddle:D

·
Registered
257 Posts
I let him take it for a spin last year, and he didn't make it out of the parking lot. Insurance quoted me $8500ish to fix it. Found a front clip online and had it shipped on a palet. Ended up fixing it for about $2500ish. Wasted the rest of the money on a bike, vocation, ect... I kinda wish I would of bought a new front bumper but my paint is in bad enoguh shape if I were gonna do it I'd wanna repaint the whole car... and change the color.

He basically kicked the rear out and went up a curb at about 25mph.

It is a very common issue but I don't wear any rings or anything.
O wow and this is y the only ass print in my driver seat is mine lol.

ok back on topic.

Yes the door handle paint chip is common. I wanna try and find some aftermarket ones and have them painted. or someone on here selling a pair.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
..... i used it once and changed it for torco. it made a HUGE difference.. also torco is cheaper.. win win. just my opinion...... the rear tires wear really fast i think its a problem with the gas peddle:D
I'm happy with my Torco swap from the OEM fluid. But the SGO is more $$$ than pretty much anything on the market.

GTO tires wear out better than my NSX which barely makes 10k on the rear since the dam thing pulls so much G's.

·
Registered
336 Posts
wow i got the rgo and didnt realize the sgo was that much more.. that is a lot but i only paid 9 bucks a qt and it still made a big improvement over the rp

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow i got the rgo and didnt realize the sgo was that much more.. that is a lot but i only paid 9 bucks a qt and it still made a big improvement over the rp
next time u might want to look into the SGO for more protection due to greater film strength.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just under 13k on my '06 M6. The driver window has been broken twice by the raising/lowering mechanism going too far and the cover has come off the clutch pedal twice.

·
Registered
249 Posts
At 42k miles had to replace key cylinder ($380 !) And went ahead and ordered a new key (nearly $200 !!). Normal paint chipping too. Optima battery and of course, tires.

·
Registered
76 Posts
35K. Door handle chips, seams behind rear seat pulling apart, steering wheel bubbles, passenger door lock pulls off, volume up button on steering wheel controls broke off, plastic tab on side of tail light broken so it pops out about 1/2" whenever I go through a carwash. Nothing major and 0 repairs so far just regularly changing fluids and keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
My CD player is shot, and some of the weatherstripping on the top corner of passenger door is messed up a little, but it doesn't leak. I do have to open the door to roll up the window if the door was opened and closed with the window down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
05 GTO Problems

2005 GTO - 3500 miles

Body Control Module (BCM) went bad. Trunk would not open from the remote or the button in the glove-box. We had to open the trunk using the pull cable under the passengers rear seat headrest.
New BCM installed plus was told we had to replace both of the key fob remotes which had to be reprogrammed.
Cost = $600+

Chipping paint on the door handles. Worse on the driver side than passenger side.
Cost = Quoted nearly $400 for the dealer to order replacement handles, paint and install them. I have not yet had this repair done.

Passenger seat belt wouldn't pull out or retract. Safety issue so paid for the repair.
Cost = $100

·
Registered
96 Posts
06 complaints

2006 - 16,000km;s
Only 2 complaints,
1-These cars should have come with Gauges for oil press./voltmeter!
2-I cannot turn off my Traction control - just boils the tires, if i do feather it out of the hole, hit 2nd & again, your sideways!
And Yes, i know how to drive!
Maybe crappy tires? 235/40 x ZR-18's Zexius -Japanese i think?
Other than this, may be one of the best built cars i;ve ever owned, very happy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
2004 Problems

Now have 9600 miles
Have had windshield replaced under warranty due to distortion
Had power steering pump replaced under warranty due to whine noise

1 - 20 of 36 Posts