Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend urged me to rev his '65 GTO. I wasn't familiar with the car- first time driving it. It kept feeling like it was about to stall, and he kept telling me to rev it more. I finally took foot off gas and it stalled. Turns out I did something to a valve. First mechanic refused to work on it, afraid something was going to fall into the engine or something. He insists I did nothing wrong and probably saved him from blowing the engine. Now it sounds like the engine is being rebuilt. I'm feeling really guilty, like it is my fault, and I want to make things right. Any idea of cost to repair this issue? I feel so bad. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This isn't your fault so stop feeling guilty! You didn't do anything to a "valve".... Sounds like the car needed major repairs anyway. Bake him his favorite cake or take him out to dinner.....in your car!
Thank you! That helps me feel a little better. He insists it's not my fault, but hearing from impartial party helps!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and say HE KNEW something was wrong and was coxing you to rev it up so it would blow.
Then he has you on the hook, well looks like that didn't work out.
He should be making a cake for you!
Just Sayin 😶

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
No damage. Now if you had revved it up to about 7,000 RPM's, that would have been another story. The engine was either tired or some one previously abused the engine or did not do a good assembly job if it was rebuilt.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,516 Posts
I don't like the sound of it, either... Text book.

Send a picture of the car and engine so we can better diagnose.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts