Pontiac GTO Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,516 Posts
Your Dad was a wise man. Friends get sad when I don't let them play with my toys, but it's easier to deal with their hurt feelings, than it is trying to figure out where to hide their body, after they scratch the paint.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,516 Posts
BTW, your attachments dont seem to be viewable. Not sure if youre trying to post in the wrong size or format.

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
472 Posts
Dont feel bad I wiped a lobe on a camshaft helping my Dad jump start his truck. My kids break more than they fix when they help out. But I want them to have the experience and not be afraid of failure. The 14 year old caved in the deck on the Zero turn mower. I told him you cant mow over the fence. Hammer, pry bar and the welder was all it took to get it running again.

·
Registered
1971, '68 400, 4bbl, 340 hp, 10.5:1 comp, 445 ft. lbs. torque( says the brochure) m-22, 390 rear
6 Posts
My boyfriend urged me to rev his '65 GTO. I wasn't familiar with the car- first time driving it. It kept feeling like it was about to stall, and he kept telling me to rev it more. I finally took foot off gas and it stalled. Turns out I did something to a valve. First mechanic refused to work on it, afraid something was going to fall into the engine or something. He insists I did nothing wrong and probably saved him from blowing the engine. Now it sounds like the engine is being rebuilt. I'm feeling really guilty, like it is my fault, and I want to make things right. Any idea of cost to repair this issue? I feel so bad. Thanks for any input!
curious, i had a '72 350 in my '71 gto, with a lifter/ valve problem. would stick open, lotsa bluesmoke. tried to blow it up bc i had a '68 400 waiting to put in. the m-22 and 3.90 posi couldnt do it. when i took the 350 out, dropped the pan - there was about an inch and a half of rumpled pushrod and a few coils of a spring. whatever!

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's a beautiful car. Regardless of who's fault it is (not yours IMO and maybe not his, motors do get old)...not very many people can say they blew up a GTO.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts