Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the original owner of a 1966 GTO and I sometimes think that I might want to sell it. The problem is that I have no idea of what it is worth. From what I have seen on ebay motors I have a very rough idea but there are so many variables to consider I don't feel confident in my estimate.

Does anyone have any recommendations on other sources of data that I could use to get a better idea of the value of my 66?

389, 4bbl, 4speed, 99%original not rebuilt
repainted with some scratches (one large gouge) in paint
Over 180,000 miles
Garaged for all but 3 years.

Thanks

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
NADA or Manheim Gold on the internet will give you ballpark figures. The most accurate way to find out what it's worth is to find out what it sells for: on ebay! Put it on ebay with a reserve and see what the market will bear. Prices have softened a bit in this economy, but they have softened on everything else, too. My advice: Don't even think about selling the car unless you are certain you will never be able to drive it again or want to drive it again. I guarantee that you will regret it!!! It's a beuty, and I would hold on to it!!!
Jeff

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
NADA or Manheim Gold on the internet will give you ballpark figures. The most accurate way to find out what it's worth is to find out what it sells for: on ebay! Put it on ebay with a reserve and see what the market will bear. Prices have softened a bit in this economy, but they have softened on everything else, too. My advice: Don't even think about selling the car unless you are certain you will never be able to drive it again or want to drive it again. I guarantee that you will regret it!!! It's a beuty, and I would hold on to it!!!
Jeff
:agree:cheers

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
One big advantage you have is you are the original owner. This category of cars usually bring more money because you know everything about the car and pass that information along to buyers.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Don't ssell it ...you'll be sorry !! But If you decide to , let us know first! Seriously, alot depends on the true condition of the body, rust, dents etc are all fixable, but it is VERY rare to find one that looks factory. I have been looking. Post some pics, the car looks sweet. Eric

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ebay seems to have gone 'wholesale' and I am sure that is due to the economy. There are some muscle car/collector selling sites online that have a better representation as to market value. They are sites that cater to true enthusiasts that are willing to pay what Goats are really worth. I even read where a member of GTOAA paid either $53k or $63k for an original, excellent shape '66 or '67 if I remember correctly. I, too, would recommend you keep it and drive it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
help

i just got a 1965 gto from my grandfather in his will. im stuck in a hard place. i have no idea how much it would cost for insurance. and its not in perfect condition. i could never sell it unless it was th only way to save one of my children but i have no idea what to do with the vehicle because i have a suspended license that should be taken care of soon but i dont know if i could afford the auto insurance and to keep it running. anyone got any ideas/ suggestions:confused

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Park it until you can afford to run it..... If you have a suspended license, insurance may be expensive. Talk to your agent...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
:agree keep it ....it's money in the bank and will only increase in value if the economy ever recovers, if you have a son or daughter that shows an interest could be a good bonding experience and pass along the love for pontiacs to a new generation.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Keep it in storage, and keep it inside. Outside storage KILLS these cars. You are extremely lucky to have had a family member that thaought enough of you to leave you his GTO. That car will give you wonderful memories of your grandpa later on, believe me. After you get your license back, because you ARE going to "get it together", you'll find that speciallized "collector car insurance" is very affordable: I'm paying less than $150 per year for each of my GTO's, and that's full coverage, theft, and fire. Only thing is, there is a 5000 mile a year driviing limit. So take heart, store the car properly, and as said, it is way BETTER than money in the bank. Take care.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Insurance policies are also custom tailorable. You can inexpensively insure that GTO while it is in storage with conditions that it not be driven. That covers it from acts of God through theft.

Wish someone in my family had been thoughtful enough to buy a musclecar new and left it to me when I was old enough to appreciate it.

Good luck OP. :cheers

·
Registered
659 Posts
Look in the phone book for places that appraise classic cars. With being the org owner, it will be worth more. It is a good idea to do anyway to get an insurance value.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Don't sell it. I am 26 and just bought my first 66 GTO, and couldn't imagine parting with it especially if I were the original owner.

I have my 66 GTO insured through State Farm with an agreed value policy for $100 a month, but there isn't a mileage limit, and I have 2 at fault accidents which is why it's so high. I daily drive it when there isn't salt on the road, because they are supposed to be driven.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would keep it, I had to offers to sale my 65 and I really need the money, I was going to sale the car but my 17 year old daughter protested and pointed out that we may not be able to get another one,
GTOs just dont fall into your lap to often and they are a time machine that you can ejoy with the whole family.
Classic car issurance is a good deal. I would agree with Grundy, I am changing over to Grundy so my daughter can drive the car too, She loves to cruise the thing around when ever she can.
Good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts