Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys- Was wondering how far you would go on Mobil 1 between oil changes... Put the good stuff in at 1400 and almost at 4k now. NO I'm not very easy on the car but not running the snot out of it either... I'm thinking She should be good for a full 6000 miles or so, but should I change the filter (bought the best $9 one) sooner?

·
Registered
316 Posts
suppodesly the car will tell you when it needs to be changed based off of how it see's you drive. With these cars running as rich as they do your oil will be a little blacker so if car does'nt tell you to change the oil before you get 6k on that change that would probably be a good time. I dont drive my GTO very much, only about 500 miles a month so I do mine every 2500 -3000 miles and just keep an eye on the oil, if it is darker then I like I change it. There is definetly no harm in changing our oil more often.

·
Registered
674 Posts
the indicator is based on dino oil. with mobil1 you should be good for two cycles of the indicator. the color is not supposed to mean much. that is what my friend that works as an engineer at the general told me

·
Registered
316 Posts
im not entirely sure I would buy that, the change in color is due to carbon buildup from the combustion cycle. With the GTO running richer they build up more carbon from the unburnt fuel. While I dont know your friend I have worked with many engineers and unfortunetly half of them were full of sh1t. but your friend may be 100% right, but for us simpler guys this makes sense.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Tom said:
the indicator is based on dino oil. with mobil1 you should be good for two cycles of the indicator. the color is not supposed to mean much. that is what my friend that works as an engineer at the general told me
The oil life indicator for the LS2 is adjusted to synthetic. That is why they have the GM synthetic spec for it. You should not in an engine that specs Mobil 1 synthetic go double the cycle.
That is true for the non-synthetic factory fill cars, you can go a double cycle.
Time is more important than mileage in lower mileage cars. You should not go more than 6 months on dino and 1 year on synthetics even if you drive 500miles per year.
As far as filters go the AC delco is among the best. I've heard good about the Mobil one filter and the K&N also.

·
Registered
364 Posts
fergyflyer said:
As far as filters go the AC delco is among the best. I've heard good about the Mobil one filter and the K&N also.
Please don't forget the AMSOIL SDF filters which consistently outperform all of these in indepent testing:
AMSOIL SDF Oil Filter

In answer to the original posters question, Mobil 1 synthetic is a good oil that will last until your oil life monitor suggests to replace it. Also note that the owners manual will specify an oil change at least annually independent of what the oil life monitor says. I would not run any oil past the limit to which the oil life monitor suggests unless that oil had its own warranty because you are outside the limits of the manufacturers warranty requirements if you exceed the oil life monitor change recommendation. Mobil 1 does not specify warranty coverage for such use. AMSOIL does however.

AMSOIL makes three tiers of oils to match the longer oil change intervals the auto industry is going to.

AMSOIL XL Motor Oils are designed for 7500 miles/6 month oil changes or longer when using an oil life monitor (e.g. they can be used up to one year or when the oil life monitor requires an oil change).
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic Motor Oils are designed for 25,000 miles/12 month oil change intervals.
AMSOIL Series 2000 Motor Oils are designed for up to 35,000 miles/12 month oil change intervals.
:cheers

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Subdriver said:
Please don't forget the AMSOIL SDF filters which consistently outperform all of these in indepent testing:
AMSOIL SDF Oil Filter

In answer to the original posters question, Mobil 1 synthetic is a good oil that will last until your oil life monitor suggests to replace it. Also note that the owners manual will specify an oil change at least annually independent of what the oil life monitor says. I would not run any oil past the limit to which the oil life monitor suggests unless that oil had its own warranty because you are outside the limits of the manufacturers warranty requirements if you exceed the oil life monitor change recommendation. Mobil 1 does not specify warranty coverage for such use. AMSOIL does however.

AMSOIL makes three tiers of oils to match the longer oil change intervals the auto industry is going to.

AMSOIL XL Motor Oils are designed for 7500 miles/6 month oil changes or longer when using an oil life monitor (e.g. they can be used up to one year or when the oil life monitor requires an oil change).
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic Motor Oils are designed for 25,000 miles/12 month oil change intervals.
AMSOIL Series 2000 Motor Oils are designed for up to 35,000 miles/12 month oil change intervals.
:cheers
Sorry about this oversite.
AMSOIL is definately a top rated oil.
I also forgot redline and royal purple.
I think I would consider those super premium, and if I were to race regularly, especially road course, I would use the AMSOIL. Just about everybody that I know that races, and is serious about it uses AMSOIL.

·
Registered
674 Posts
fergyflyer said:
The oil life indicator for the LS2 is adjusted to synthetic.
Gm got rid of the oil cooler and put mobil 1 in the vette motor a few years ago.

the 04 gto comes with dino, what does the 05 come with? if it is calibrated for synthetic then dont double the cycles.

i used to change the oil in my legend coupe every 4k miles. my wrench would get pissed at me fir wasting his time because it was so clean. the car now has about 150k on it and the guy i sold it to took it to a acura dealer to find all problems. he wasted 62 bucks because everything was in spec.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Tom said:
Gm got rid of the oil cooler and put mobil 1 in the vette motor a few years ago.

the 04 gto comes with dino, what does the 05 come with? if it is calibrated for synthetic then dont double the cycles.

i used to change the oil in my legend coupe every 4k miles. my wrench would get pissed at me fir wasting his time because it was so clean. the car now has about 150k on it and the guy i sold it to took it to a acura dealer to find all problems. he wasted 62 bucks because everything was in spec.
05 has a factory fill of Mobil1 and has a GM spec for the oil that is basically synthetic.

·
Registered
674 Posts
fergyflyer said:
05 has a factory fill of Mobil1 and has a GM spec for the oil that is basically synthetic.
Not for 04.
The motor is the same as the vettes, the vette comes with mobil 1, but the 04 gto doesnt come with synthetic, and synthetic is not "recommended" for the 04 like it is for the vette.

Plus, I dont think my 04 has the oil cooler.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like changing every 5,000 miles with Mobil 1. I did that with my C5 Vette until I sold it at 70,000 miles. No problems. I've heard 7500 miles is totally acceptable. Engines are not the weak points, its the electronics, tranny, rear end. The engine will last.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Free Oil Changes

I was fortunate enough to get free lifetime oil changes with my new 05 GTO. I also double checked to make sure they used Mobile 1. I got my oil changed at 2980 and plan on keeping the 3k schedule.

I did not care about the free oil changes when they told me but now that I know that Mobil 1 cost over $6 a qt I am glad.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I didn't realize the '04 didn't come with Mobil 1. Out of habit, I immediately changed the oil when I bought the car at 4.5K and put Mobil 1 in it. Why they wouldn't specify it mystifies me since the same motor in the vette does; there can't be anything different in the motor. Only synthetic goes in any of my cars.

·
Registered
674 Posts
diverdan said:
I didn't realize the '04 didn't come with Mobil 1. Out of habit, I immediately changed the oil when I bought the car at 4.5K and put Mobil 1 in it. Why they wouldn't specify it mystifies me since the same motor in the vette does; there can't be anything different in the motor. Only synthetic goes in any of my cars.
i put mobil 1 in at 1700 miles along with a magnetic drain plug.

·
Registered
364 Posts
diverdan said:
Why they wouldn't specify it mystifies me since the same motor in the vette does; there can't be anything different in the motor. Only synthetic goes in any of my cars.
Mobil 1 coming in the Vette is marketing. The C5/Z06 owners manual (and I'm betting the GTO owners manual) doesn't actually specify Mobil 1. The C5/Z06 owners manual actually specifies an oil which meets GM Standard 4718M. The owners manual states that the factory fill Mobil 1 oil meets this standard (and it does obviously). But, many other oils do as well (including all of those AMSOIL lubricants I recommend for the GTO). They can get away with not putting Mobil 1 in the GTO as they probably don't have, or didn't have, the same marketing scheme for the GTO as they did with the Vette. :cheers

·
Registered
143 Posts
the UPS guy said:
Hey Guys- Was wondering how far you would go on Mobil 1 between oil changes... Put the good stuff in at 1400 and almost at 4k now. NO I'm not very easy on the car but not running the snot out of it either... I'm thinking She should be good for a full 6000 miles or so, but should I change the filter (bought the best $9 one) sooner?
I've done this on the last 5 cars I've owned and rran Mobil 1 in-chage the oil and rotate/balance the tires every 5K miles. Find a place that does both and you'll save yourself some time. Mobil 1 should easily last 5k under any circumstances.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.