Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo, how fast are they?
How would they stack up against, say a C5?
How about an 03/03 Cobra Mustang?

Would it be safe to let your wife haul the groceries in one, or are they a bit too much to handle?

Or not wild enough?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
you cant compare a svt cobra to a gto, for starters the cobra comes with a blower and if you take that away the car gives even more disgrace to the name muscle car. the interior is bland and not even close to the comfort of a goat. power wise you slap a blower on a goat to compare the 2 and the goat blows away the best of "ordinary" cars (non supercars ie ford gt, saleen s7, etc.) with a manual, shifting is a pain in the @$$. the car has much less room than a gto for hauling groceries and it is sad that the trunk of a gto is actually bigger than a cobra convert.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
GTOMAN said:
I got the 05 I think its fast . I raced a few KIAs and wiped them up only got beat by a 05 stang





if you got an 05 goat and cant beat an 05 rustang gt you shouldnt be driving a gto. off the bat the 05 gto has 100 hp more than a rustang and with manufacturer specs you have 6 tenths of a second better acceleration to 60 and a higher top speed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
The GTO has the creature comforts that the Cobra and models alike don't have. The LS1 and LS2 are plenty quick enough stock. They compare all the cars across the board and many of these are not just a stock engine. They are turbo charged, blowers added etc. Put these mods on a GTO then you only can count on one finger how many cars are in that range of performance and at a much higher cost.
 
G

·
ya blower on a gto will just about smoke alot of stuff on da street :D i know i got 1 and its amazing who wants to race its funny i had a 04 cobra come up at a light i totally mauled him :cool the stang is quick but the gto will smoke it :party: ford =FOR OUR RETARDED DAUGHTER :seeya:
 
G

·
RiceEaterFordBeater said:
you cant compare a svt cobra to a gto, for starters the cobra comes with a blower and if you take that away the car gives even more disgrace to the name muscle car. the interior is bland and not even close to the comfort of a goat. power wise you slap a blower on a goat to compare the 2 and the goat blows away the best of "ordinary" cars (non supercars ie ford gt, saleen s7, etc.) with a manual, shifting is a pain in the @$$. the car has much less room than a gto for hauling groceries and it is sad that the trunk of a gto is actually bigger than a cobra convert.

:rolleyes:
C'mon man. We can all see where your blind loyalty lies, but let's call a spade a spade. The '04 cobras run really well -- who cares what happens if you take away the blower? Why would anyone take away the blower?
They have 390 hp stock, 1 $7 pulley mod adds about 60hp. Plus, they are lighter than the goat. Stock for stock, an '04 cobra and an '05 goat would be a good race. If you put that $7 part on the cobra, it will take $6000 worth of forced induction mods for the goat to keep up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
jterp said:
:rolleyes:
C'mon man. We can all see where your blind loyalty lies, but let's call a spade a spade. The '04 cobras run really well -- who cares what happens if you take away the blower? Why would anyone take away the blower?
They have 390 hp stock, 1 $7 pulley mod adds about 60hp. Plus, they are lighter than the goat. Stock for stock, an '04 cobra and an '05 goat would be a good race. If you put that $7 part on the cobra, it will take $6000 worth of forced induction mods for the goat to keep up.
But who prefers the sound of a hairdryer under your hood to the sweet note of an LS2 at WOT. :seeya:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
jterp said:
:rolleyes:
C'mon man. We can all see where your blind loyalty lies, but let's call a spade a spade. The '04 cobras run really well -- who cares what happens if you take away the blower? Why would anyone take away the blower?
They have 390 hp stock, 1 $7 pulley mod adds about 60hp. Plus, they are lighter than the goat. Stock for stock, an '04 cobra and an '05 goat would be a good race. If you put that $7 part on the cobra, it will take $6000 worth of forced induction mods for the goat to keep up.
Believe it or not the blown Cobras are only about 40lbs lighter than a 6M Goat (That's because they had to use an iron block to withstand the stresses). That's why stock vs. stock the '05 and the 'stang are fairly even. The pulley upgrade is indeed a cheap and effective mod, but that's what you get with FI.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
GTOMAN said:
Yes the GTO is more comfortable and why ----- because-------more and more retired people are buying them there made for comfort not speed and that extra 100 hp that still dont do anything still get the old people to the store faster to get there pills
2005 GTO stats (some I've seen are projected but nonetheless I don't consider it slow)

0-60 Pontiac lists 4.6. Have seen other listings of 4.7 and 4.8
Quarter mile in 13.3
Top speed- around 160 mph

All of this in a hefty 3700 pounds and you think the GTO isn't fast :confused?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
GTOMAN said:
Yes the GTO is more comfortable and why ----- because-------more and more retired people are buying them there made for comfort not speed and that extra 100 hp that still dont do anything still get the old people to the store faster to get there pills
So the car has to feel like a cheap, K-mart quality lounge chair for you to appreciate it's performance? An M3 may lose to a blown cobra in the 1/4, but no one would seriously consider comparing the two and calling the 'stang a better vehicle. Tons of Ferraris and Porsches get purchased by doctors and lawyers, so what's your point? :rolleyes:

The only reason the two cars even get compared is because of their historic muscle car names. It's the basic reason why the general populace "doesn't get" the new Goat. It's not a bare bones, archaic muscle car in the old tradition. It's a quality, modern sports coupe with an IRS, but with a great all-aluminum small block - the best of both worlds. A BMW comparison is more apt, much, much more (partly because, apples-to-apples, there just is no domestic alternative). The only thing keeping it from being seen as such is the name plate (and general preoccupation with image & labels), so don't even go there. . . . If you can't appreciate the vehicle for what it really is, step off. :eek:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Well said PWR_SHIFT. I agree with everything you said.

I was one of those who had to get over "images & labels". But I did, pretty quickly too. This is a nicely built car with great component parts and it's not overpriced for what it is. It's a bargain IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
the gto hands down is a better car than a cobra. $33,650 buys a gto, the last price i saw on a 03 cobra was $36,795 witha $1995 mark-up.
the cobra's are nice and i would take one over a ricer any day, but compared to a gto to it gets beat hands down. plus the extra $3000+ can go to some mods (I.E. supercharger) or to get my pills :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
GTOMAN said:
Yes the GTO is more comfortable and why ----- because-------more and more retired people are buying them there made for comfort not speed and that extra 100 hp that still dont do anything still get the old people to the store faster to get there pills
Normally I wouldn't but how many believe that "GTOMAN" is not the sharpest knife in the drawer? What a retard.
:rolleyes:
 
1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top