Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 GTO that I want to replace the slider dust cover for the auto-shifter. I removed 2 screws and 2 bolts (from a bracket) and the console is loose but the shifter (with the knob off) still wants to come with the console. The shifter will even move side to side with the console (I'm guessing something is not connected ...).

·
Registered
221 Posts
I changed my stock shifter for a Dual-Gate in my 69 years ago, so I am kinda fuzzy on how the stock one mounts. I know the trim piece(chrome with woodgrain sticker on 69) that covers the shifter is held in with spring clips and pops out. I think the shifter is bolted to the console under there. It is also bolted to the trans tunnel with two brackets, sounds like yours may be loose.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a 1970 GTO that I want to replace the slider dust cover for the auto-shifter. I removed 2 screws and 2 bolts (from a bracket) and the console is loose but the shifter (with the knob off) still wants to come with the console. The shifter will even move side to side with the console (I'm guessing something is not connected ...).
pop off the trim piece and there are 4 bolts under there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Amigo

Did you end up having to remove the console or just the faceplate? I am asking because I need to do the same thing .

Tks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts