Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.. I'm replacing my rear bumper on my 69 GTO and noticed the rear cross member is pretty well rusted and the rear body mounts are cracked and fairly well shot. I'm thinking I should replace the cross member and body mounts while I'm at it but don't want to open a huge can of worms. It doesn't look like I can get at the top of the body mount bolts without cutting into the trunk pan. Anyone have experience replacing the rear cross member they can share?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
the furthest rear frame crossmember is often bent, some are badly rust pocked. Have zipped quite a few out of parts car frames with a sawsall. then carefully trimmed the old rear crossmember out and MIG welded it onto the frame. Welding can be performed with the body on the frame. rear bumper will have to come off, rear body bolts removed, along with gas tank.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the furthest rear frame crossmember is often bent, some are badly rust pocked. Have zipped quite a few out of parts car frames with a sawsall. then carefully trimmed the old rear crossmember out and MIG welded it onto the frame. Welding can be performed with the body on the frame. rear bumper will have to come off, rear body bolts removed, along with gas tank.
thanks.. sounds like more than I want to take on right now. The one I have is rusted, but its basically in tact and not bent. I might just wire brush it and coat it with POR 15. Although I would like to replace the body mounts. I'm just concerned if the bolts break or top nut breaks free I'm in for a whole other project cutting into the trunk Pan and then having to repair that. You ever have problems taking out the body mount bolts?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts