Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When changing out flat tappet hdy lifters and push rods and using the existing cam, is there a break-in procedure to follow? '65 389 CI Tri-power, cam specs unknown.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
When changing out flat tappet hdy lifters and push rods and using the existing cam, is there a break-in procedure to follow? '65 389 CI Tri-power, cam specs unknown.
Installing new lifters on an old cam could be asking for trouble right off the bat, but I know it is done. If me, I might take the cam down to the local machine shop and let them polish the lobes like they do on a crankshaft journal to get them smooth. They are not taking off any metal, just smoothing/polishing them up.

Then use a quality cam paste, not a runny liquid. I would want something to really cling to the lobes and bottom of the lifters. Use a little oil on the lifter bores, ends of the pushrods. Then break the cam/lifters in as you normally would and hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,839 Posts
I dont know the specifics of your job, but once you gat a Pontiac engine to the point that the lifters can be changed, it's only another hour of work to swap the cam. Maybe there's a reason youre not, but just an FYI.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,839 Posts
Jim, thanks for the info.
Army, my thoughts exactly after reading Jim's response!
I just did the job in November.

Once the intake, valve covers, and valley pan are removed to get at the lifters, the only thing left to do is pull the dizzy, timing cover, and gears to get at the cam.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,839 Posts
This was my cam swap. Plus, if your engine is ugly, you can give it a makeover!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts