Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering this car for purchase. I would appreciate any feedback you might have regarding its originality, condition, pricing, etc.:

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
IMHO I would not buy any car without looking at it in person. If I was unsure of my evaluation abilities I would bring a knowlegeable friend with me. The old phrase about marrying in haste, repenting in leisure is so true.

Best of luck with your search.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course, if I got farther along, I would have a thorough inspection from an expert. I’m just trying to get some initial feedback.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree whole heartedly with 1968gto421. I'm pretty knowledable and also took a very knowledgeable friend when I looked at my 66 before purchase we both spent a couple hours mostly on our backs under the car with flashlights. I'd check every number and nit pick it all the way especially for that kind of money you should get the cream of the crop. The more originally restored the better. Hopefully it was a clean core to begin with as far as the body goes with original stamped quarter panel numbers inside the the trunk ledge along the rubber seals. Also check for reskinned doors. If you can't see the car yourself hire a gto or GM A body expert to inspect it. It does sound like all the money to me. Good Luck to you..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree whole heartedly with 1968gto421. I'm pretty knowledable and also took a very knowledgeable friend when I looked at my 66 before purchase we both spent a couple hours mostly on our backs under the car with flashlights. I'd check every number and nit pick it all the way especially for that kind of money you should get the cream of the crop. The more originally restored the better. Hopefully it was a clean core to begin with as far as the body goes with original stamped quarter panel numbers inside the the trunk ledge along the rubber seals. Also check for reskinned doors. If you can't see the car yourself hire a gto or GM A body expert to inspect it. It does sound like all the money to me. Good Luck to you..

What are your thoughts on the car?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It does look good in pics. An 8 year restoration is a very long and I'm sure very expensive undertaking. He probably installed new front springs as it sits too high. Looks correct under hood except the cheesy battery topper, nbd.. it also has the usually missing vacuum hose bracket on right rear of intake. Interior looks great too, aftermarket but era looking non pontiac radio, again nbd. I like the car as i said and although it's sounds a little high the money is irrelevant if its perfecto it will hold a good value anyway. That price of course is your call. It would be nice to see underneath as well.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
RUN! They are a consignment house and I would never purchase any car from a middle man. Only buy directly from the seller.

The car was originally from MI - salt used on the roads in winter if the car saw winter. Unknown has to how many panels would be original or repaired/replaced. No pics of the underside/frame.

I would have to have the PHS documents to confirm all is original at that price.

Quite a number of very bad reviews from this place. Scroll down a bit to begin reading. This is just one website. Had a BBB complaint on late payment to a customer who had to file with the BBB.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nevermind.... the seller sucks. I asked for a copy of the protect-o-plate (listed in the ad) and a photo of the engine serial number stamp?!?

Now they say the car doesn’t have a plate and the engine is not original.

Typical.....

·
Registered
216 Posts
$80k for any car that doesn't have the engine it was born with is really high. For that kind of money you should be able to find another in the same shape that's more legit. Good luck on your search.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Trying to learn some differences btwn 67 and 68. Is the in-dash - tachometer factory-correct w/ the adjustable red line?

·
Registered
30 Posts
O WoW. All bets are off..Be patient, with your budget you'll definitely find the right one with some stature and hopefully from a private owner. They're out there. Happy Hunting. Get on some Pontiac GTO forums and browse Hemmings etc.
Is a 67 the only year for you?
Also keep an eye on
Cars for sale.com
I found my 66 there 8 yrs ago. I look on there site often, many nice cars.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Trying to learn some differences btwn 67 and 68. Is the in-dash - tachometer factory-correct w/ the adjustable red line?
That caught my eye as well. I did find a diagram showing the 1966 tach having an adjustable redline in the Restoration Guide, pg138. I had a '67 and I do not think it had one or I would have remembered playing around with it. So maybe the tach, if it was even original seeing nothing else was, could have been installed if it was a very early 1967 build manufactured in 1966 and they were using up available left over parts on the assembly line. Never say never with Pontiac.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
O WoW. All bets are off..Be patient, with your budget you'll definitely find the right one with some stature and hopefully from a private owner. They're out there. Happy Hunting. Get on some Pontiac GTO forums and browse Hemmings etc.
Is a 67 the only year for you?
Also keep an eye on
Cars for sale.com
I found my 66 there 8 yrs ago. I look on there site often, many nice cars.

I’m looking for a 66 or 67 with the specs I mentioned above. My current 67 is an automatic and NOM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, now the seller just emailed me and said he “found” the protect-o-plate:

Not a chance I’m gonna proceed. But thought the forum might like to see it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Man, you dodged a bullet with that POS. Clearly not an NO Expense Spared Resto.
Flashy Red Turd at best.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you care, I have seen this car. They have 2 locations I have been to one in Fairfield and one in Pleasanton. It is actually not a bad looking car. But this place is a consignment center ( like you said ) and they don't know a lot about the history of the car aside from what the seller tells them... And they are always overpriced. You can certainly negotiate with them, but what I have found is that with consignment centers you can sometimes cut them out. I can tell you how to find the registered owner if you want privately.

So I was shaking my head when I saw that car in there with that price tag. I did not dive into it because I was not ever going to buy it. But you seem to be doing the right things. But I think your best bet is to check out all the forums and ask around to see if you can find one from a private seller.

Now the truth is and this sucks.... Original cars are just getting harder and harder to find and even harder to find done right. From what I have seen and experienced here is why. From my perspective

I stumbled into a 64 GTO Convertible. I literally tripped onto it did not know what I had until I called a guy about painting it. Lucked out again and the guy I had come look at it started out with the usual hew and haw but he started slowing down went to this truck pulled out this book he had went to the car looked at the top, then the interior, then the glass then the tires then the engine then the headlights then the convertible top motors and on and on. He then told me not to touch the car unless I had 50K. He told me that the car was largely original and that alot fo the parts were from the factory. He flat told me I would ruin the car by doing what I wanted and to start with something else. I had not experienced anything like that before. I had expected 15K for paint and body work and was ready to let him take the car. He flat refused and even told me I would be an ******* for changing the color. But to call him if I found something else.

So that got me started on a crusade to get this car back to bone stock original. And let me tell you I planned on 50K he suggested aside from the cost of the original car and I am going to blow by that. And I am getting tired. I am to the point where I intended to be stock like the factory and now I starting to say " well maybe I will have to upgrade the brakes." What did it for me is when I took the transmission in to get rebuilt and the guy looked at me like I was speaking Japanese with a southern accent from texas sprinkled with a little canadian. He called me twice asking me if I was sure because no one re-builds these 2 speed auto and that the parts were expensive and I could get something much much better for half the money. But original to the car is original to the car. So we pressed on. The next time it happened was witht he front brakes. I looked high and low for drum backing plates. Found a set of just the plates (used) that cost almost as much as a disk brake conversion for the front. So I changed tune and upgraded tot he disks because they are just more reliable.

My point it to do a car right costs a ton of money. And it gets old trying to hunt these Pontiac parts down. And when you do find them folks hoard them and want an arm and a leg for them. (1500 for a 64 hood. They just started reproducing them. But at the time you could get fiberglass or shell out 1500 for a used one. ) And folks sort of give up on making it original.

Anyway if you really wanted that one from Speciality I would not spend more than 52 on it. It is done and you can enjoy it immediately. And spending 9 years on it is not unreasonable because there not working on it everyday. Mine has ben going on 3 years.

Ask around. Or start one from scratch. If you have 70K to spend on that one, you can certainly build one proper for that amount.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts