Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of people I talk to are suprised by how aggrivated I become when discussing the new Mustang and GTO. I think a lot of this stems from the ridiculous comparisons of the two cars by the automotive press. I remember when the press criticized the F-body cars as crude, cramped and lacking in sofistication (never mind they were affordable and fast as he$$!). GM has now blessed us with a car that satisfies all those complaints and the press still isn't happy; poor shifter, no XM radio, no sunroof, ... fill in the blank.... I read an blurb in one magazines that praised Ford for keeping the solid axle in the Mustang as a cost cutting measure. WTF!!! That's exactly what GM did with the Camaro and Firebird in the `90's. Did the axle fairy forget to sprinkle some magic dust on differentials of GM cars? The press need to get it through their pointy little heads that GM really hit a home run with the GTO. They also need to understand that if you ain't got it under the hood then nothing else matters.
I don't own a GTO . . . yet. You can be sure I won't be getting a Mustang.

·
Registered
73 Posts
People will always complain:rofl:

if you have 2 million dollars ?

you give one person 1 million in cash

you the other one 1 million in coins

the bastard who got the coins is going to complain;)

Life is filled with complaints

Do what makes you happy Get a Goat

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually like the styling of the new Mustang but I wonder if it limits the design and styling of the car in the future (i.e. PT Cruiser & VW bug). What's next? A retro Mustang II? I love the clean, modern and simple lines of the GTO.

·
Registered
103 Posts
IMO, jealousy is breeding the animosity. I'm not wealthy, I've never owned a 'Vette, Viper, or Porsche, but this Austrailian-built 2004 GTO is the best car I have ever owned- Period. I also do not read Car and Driver and their biased reviews. I often go against the grain and I never follow any crowd. (Buying my GTO was a natural choice based on my attitude, I suppose) I don't care and will never care about what any other forum or individual says negatively about my car, because that's what it is- MY CAR. So for everyone out there who's criticized the GTO without even having driven one, keep looking, keep staring, and keep eating my dust.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In one comparison........

I saw mustang get a 24 or 25 under "GOTTA HAVE IT FACTOR" out of 25.

GTO got like 18 or something........

IN the end, GTO Lost by 1 overall point to Mustang.......

Gotta have it factor (IF IT MEANS) Everyone and their mama has one, I agree but i don't see it that way. I see it more rare, sophisticated....limited specialty car.......That ain't no mustang.........that's GTO

I am done ventin'

Rinku

·
Registered
63 Posts
hssaini said:
In one comparison........

I saw mustang get a 24 or 25 under "GOTTA HAVE IT FACTOR" out of 25.

GTO got like 18 or something........

IN the end, GTO Lost by 1 overall point to Mustang.......

Gotta have it factor (IF IT MEANS) Everyone and their mama has one, I agree but i don't see it that way. I see it more rare, sophisticated....limited specialty car.......That ain't no mustang.........that's GTO

I am done ventin'

Rinku
That was the car and driver review if I remember correctly....
Question: Why would you "got to have" a car that is mass produced by the hundreds of thousands and is inferior in terms of performance?:confused

·
Registered
162 Posts
What pisses me off the most is that, when I see a mustang owner I always find something nice to say about the new stang. Really I dont think its that bad. I do believe they underpowered it. I also believe unlike the GOAT many aftermarket additions have to be made to the Stang to make it look real good. Anyway the stang owners always kill the GTO, and never really have anything nice to say about it. If I have talked to 15 new stang owners 13 of then crapped all over the GTO. They are just pissed because the GOAT has more bang for your buck. Plus the GTO'S are not a dime a dozen like the Stangs are.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
t0ny said:
IMO, jealousy is breeding the animosity. I'm not wealthy, I've never owned a 'Vette, Viper, or Porsche, but this Austrailian-built 2004 GTO is the best car I have ever owned- Period. I also do not read Car and Driver and their biased reviews. I often go against the grain and I never follow any crowd. (Buying my GTO was a natural choice based on my attitude, I suppose) I don't care and will never care about what any other forum or individual says negatively about my car, because that's what it is- MY CAR. So for everyone out there who's criticized the GTO without even having driven one, keep looking, keep staring, and keep eating my dust.

:agree Very well said Tony!!!!!

Personally I loathe(breaks out thesarus), abominate, adhor, despise, deplore, and dislike the retro styling. I prefer something new and original that shares traits of its previous sucessors. There is no car in the price range with more class and power than the GTO. That coupled with the limited production makes it an instant collector item. In 5 years people will be clamoring to get one of our Aussy beauties.

Their are 5 mustangs at the red light in front of me right this instant(not being sarcastic). No one is even noticing them. Now put 5 GTO's there and they are turning heads. That I can personally vouch for.

Everyone criticizes the GTO's looks. But everyone comes out of the restaraunts to see them when there are 10 of them lined up. Why would they do that to a cavalier on steriods?

Bottom line ~
You will love the car. Its one of the nicest for the money. And once you have owned one for a year, your opinion of these car magazines (who have the GTO losing to every single car it goes against) will fall to the toilet. Becasue they have no sense of taste or class.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well as far as performance is concerned I blew the doors off my son's '05 'Stang last night........heads up, wasn't even close.

JET

·
Registered
491 Posts
Kingsford said:
A lot of people I talk to are suprised by how aggrivated I become when discussing the new Mustang and GTO. I think a lot of this stems from the ridiculous comparisons of the two cars by the automotive press. I remember when the press criticized the F-body cars as crude, cramped and lacking in sofistication (never mind they were affordable and fast as he$$!). GM has now blessed us with a car that satisfies all those complaints and the press still isn't happy; poor shifter, no XM radio, no sunroof, ... fill in the blank.... I read an blurb in one magazines that praised Ford for keeping the solid axle in the Mustang as a cost cutting measure. WTF!!! That's exactly what GM did with the Camaro and Firebird in the `90's. Did the axle fairy forget to sprinkle some magic dust on differentials of GM cars? The press need to get it through their pointy little heads that GM really hit a home run with the GTO. They also need to understand that if you ain't got it under the hood then nothing else matters.
I don't own a GTO . . . yet. You can be sure I won't be getting a Mustang.

Well, I pleased a nice lady yesterday :eek:

I was gettin' out of my car when she asked me if it was mine. I said yes. She said..."Wow! Boy it sure is a cute little car!"

Cute?:confused

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
ModBoss2 said:
I was gettin' out of my car when she asked me if it was mine. I said yes. She said..."Wow! Boy it sure is a cute little car!"

Cute?:confused

That is the absolute worse compliment a woman can ever say about a car. EVER!!!!! I got that one on my WS6 a couple years back. I started up the 600hp engine and that changed the smile on her face.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If GM would have brought the Monaro over from Australia and didn't call it a retro name like "GTO" and gave it a unique name instead, people would've probably liked it a lot more. Because of all the "retro-ing" going on, people expected something other that what it was, so they were disappointed. Beside that fact, this car is so unique people are always asking me questions like "did you get an exhaust system put in?", when in fact, it still has the factory exhaust. Or one time when I was giving a co-worker a ride home he asked if I got the interior redone. I guess it is too nice to be in a factory car. Must have been the red leather.:cool

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.