Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figure that its about time to make a move on a purchase of an '05 goat so I have checked with a couple of Pontiac dealers in the area. I have the money to buy the car at MSRP but I guess that its just a matter of principle to buy it for the cheapest price that I can.

Both salesman offered to sell at $500 under MSRP but they were adamant about selling for less than that. I walked.

Now today, I get a call from one of the salesman saying that he has two coupons for rebates on an '05 that magically appeared and that he can get me into a GTO for 1k under MSRP. But, he said that I had to make a deposit now for a new goat that would be arriving anyday now (they are currently out of stock) or the coupons would go to they next customer interested in the goat. :rolleyes:

Don't screw with me! That's still well above invoice and they will still make a killing on holdbacks and dealership incentives. I'll wait till the end of this month and take my chances with the new incentives posted then. :mad:

·
Registered
674 Posts
A salesman Joe from Arnold Buick/Pontiac in Bayshore NY posted on the other board that he has some in stock and is selling them for 500 over invoice.

I bought my GTO there, and am extremely pleased with the treatment I got. A first class dealership.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's just business - not personal. The salesman is there to make himself a buck selling cars for a profit for his dealership. You make an offer, he can accept it or not. The least painful way to go is internet sales - autobytel.com or something. You submit what car you want, and local dealers send you an e-mail with their price. Edmunds did a few comparison tests of buying that way vs the traditional haggling method on identical cars, and the internet route came out ahead every time. That's what I did on my GTO and got as much rebate as I could get right off the bat. I could probably have beat them down a bit more, but it was a pretty fair deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I test drove an 05, great car, But I overheard the sales person telling some one else, That he was at the track with the 05, that it does 160 and he was doing 120 in second gear! He was affraid to even go into thrid!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but the 120 in 2nd gear is a little much. These cars aren't geared to handle 120 in 2nd gear or else you'd be looking at the motor in the rear view mirror.

·
Banned
98 Posts
KISS said:
I test drove an 05, great car, But I overheard the sales person telling some one else, That he was at the track with the 05, that it does 160 and he was doing 120 in second gear! He was affraid to even go into thrid!
Maybe he defeated the rev limiter and ran the ls2 to 12,000 rpm. 120MPH in 2nd gear indeed! That is great stuff. I once heard a car salesman tell a guy who was with his pregnant wife that the Grand Prix they were looking at in the showroom would do over 180.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well, I'm an engineer that works with a lot of salesman. All of the salesman I know and work with consider those of the Car variety to be a scourge.

There is nothing more insulting to all the salesman I know to call them a "car salesman".

·
Registered
56 Posts
SJAndrew said:
Well, I'm an engineer that works with a lot of salesman. All of the salesman I know and work with consider those of the Car variety to be a scourge.

There is nothing more insulting to all the salesman I know to call them a "car salesman".
Yes, ALL car salesmen are scum. Just like all engineers wear pocket-protectors, thick glasses, short-sleeve plaid shirts, white socks and penny-loafers and live with their mothers.

Ease up.

While there are plenty of incompetent car sales people, there are plenty of serious, knowlegeable, capable customer-satisfaction driven sales people too (some participate in this forum).

Just like there are good and bad performers in any industry. Even engineering.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Baron Samedi said:
Yes, ALL car salesmen are scum. Just like all engineers wear pocket-protectors, thick glasses, short-sleeve plaid shirts, white socks and penny-loafers and live with their mothers.

Ease up.

While there are plenty of incompetent car sales people, there are plenty of serious, knowlegeable, capable customer-satisfaction driven sales people too (some participate in this forum).

Just like there are good and bad performers in any industry. Even engineering.
Hey now I resemble that comment. I don't think that all car sales people are SCUM. I know that I am not one of those guys. Hey EdwardC why don't you give me a try or did you already buy a GTO. My number is 800-350-8008 and ask for Jason Feuerberg. My dealership is Sewell in Dallas, TX.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe I have been too harsh but man it ticks me off when people are taken advantage of just because they are in the market for new wheels.

By the way, a dealer in Maryland just quoted me a price that is $5900 above MSRP for an '05 M6 - about the highest mark up I have ever seen on any vehicle. Put down the crack pipe. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.