Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Group Buy

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Not an 2004, I don't want to assume they are the same and i srlsy didn't want to type it all outat that time

As far as cutting wires no, It is literally plug and play and I had HID's in mine before I started selling them..... Hence I don't have a pic by pic installation.

Here are some basic tools/hints

13mm wrench/socket
Flat head screwdriver
Phillips screw driver/Door panel remover
Double sided super adhesive tape OR bolt them to the car
Drill with a 25mm hole saw or a Dremel type tool

1.Unplug and remove the battery and battery holder 3 bolts iirc 13mm

2. Remove the radiator shroud. Use a flat head screw driver/Door panel remover to remove the 5 plastic clips holding it on.

3.Remove the DRL ( Daytime Running Light) RELAY located in the fuse box right next to the battery. If you look inside the lid it has a diagram of the fuses and relays

4.Remove the air filter box/should not apply if you have a C.A.I.

5.Remove the headlight if you have big hands like me or, if you feel you have enough room remove low beam light covers on both sides by twisting them counter clockwise.

6.Remove the low beam bulbs.

7.Take the 25 mm Hole saw or dremel and drill out the center of the low beam cover.(This will be for the hid bulb wiring and grommet). if you fell the hole is not tight enough apply a bit of silicone.(I didn't but I used a hole saw)

8.Remove the HID bulbs from protective casing and wiring, feed the bulb wires through the cap that you cut a hole in.

9.Put the HID bulb in the low beam housing, and make the wire connections inside the housing(Black/negative - Connector goes to red + wire with white stripe. Red Connector goes to red wire with blue stripe. You can put some electrical tape or Shrink tubing over it. I did not, since the light housing is weather proof.
) Than put the cap back on. The bulb and headlight part is done.

10.Find a location for the ballast (I put mine under the headlight) and attached to the frame (I’m not 100% certain)

11.Before fully reinstalling the headlights plus in all the wires (they only go in one way)

12.Put everything back the way it was

You can plug it in and test the light out. If you crossed the wires and the light doesn’t come on it will not hurt the ballast. Just remove the cap and PLUG THE CORRECT WIRES TO THE CORRECT WIRES.

Hint's/notes* You can test for +/- but using a Millimeter it will read negative the polarity is switched
This is all from memory and I did drop my bumper to swap out my grill, but I’m pretty sure it’s 100%
I hopes this squashes any doubts

IF YOU ARE LOCAL TO NORTH IL I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP YOU

·
GTOAA 04-06 Technical Advisor
228 Posts
ahh, ok thanks. Please remove 1 from the interested total. Item #7 IS NOT PLUG AND PLAY. Plug and play means I can undo this at any time to restore my car to showroom condition. Drilling holes kinda prevents that.

My car is probably one of the most modded GTOs on the planet, yet I have drilled no holes and everything I have done can be undone and I saved absolutely everything down to the original sparkplugs and air filter.

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think step 7 scared a few people off. I haven't replaced any bulbs on my GTO so I don't know what the back of the headlight assembly looks like. Are you saying there is a cover over the back of the low beam bulbs? And we need to punch a hole in this cover in order to run the wires for the HID's. If this is true, how do the wires for the halogen bulbs run through this cover?

I guess I'll just have to take a look for myself when I get home from work today.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I think step 7 scared a few people off. I haven't replaced any bulbs on my GTO so I don't know what the back of the headlight assembly looks like.

Are you saying there is a cover over the back of the low beam bulbs?
Yes.
And we need to punch a hole in this cover in order to run the wires for the HID's.
Well not punch... more like a perfect 25mm hole :)
If this is true, how do the wires for the halogen bulbs run through this cover?
They don't, the connections is made within the headlight(this is the power to the ballast) 12v Power goes out through the grommet and and High voltage power comes in through the grommet than straight to the bulb.

I guess I'll just have to take a look for myself when I get home from work today.
Read the quote.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I installed mine yesterday and they are great; I waited patiently for the sun to go down so I could test them out.

The difference is phenomenal. I cannot believe the difference; the 6000k light output was like daylight.

As for being plug and play; here is the best explanation: The plug and lay does not refer to the car specified; it refers to the bulb type. We all know that many different car types use different bulbs. To install them requires drilling a 1 inch hole in the dust caps on the headlights. If you are doing fog lights; there isn't even a dust cap to drill. This part is a three inch removable disc, a cheap replacement if you feel the need to go back to stock. After the hole is drilled, you run the bulb (the unit is already pre-wired) through. Attach the wires to the headlight harness inside the headlight housing, reinstall the dust cap, and plug in the unit. Ten minutes tops. The most time consuming part was hiding the ballasts.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I would like to note the use of a 3/4's Bit for the holes, this will provide the TIGHTEST fit and still will allow you to get the connections through. A bit of grease will help you get it in.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah, I'll second that. I used a 1 inch forstner bit and the grommets are not as tight as I would have liked. 1 inch is only 0.4mm larger than the recommended 25mm hole saw, but I think even 25mm would be a little loose fitting. I may seal them up with a bit of silicone to keep the moisture out a little better.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah, I'll second that. I used a 1 inch forstner bit and the grommets are not as tight as I would have liked. 1 inch is only 0.4mm larger than the recommended 25mm hole saw, but I think even 25mm would be a little loose fitting. I may seal them up with a bit of silicone to keep the moisture out a little better.
Right some bits are different the hole saw are usually a Lil smaller than the bits, but after about 10 pairs of holes I drilled the other day my hole saw lost some teeth. so I had to go get bit real quick. and 3/4 was the only single bit they had left.

but in all fairness when a bit is 25mm it's really just an inch(yeah i checked a few with a micrometers)

·
Registered
351 Posts
but in all fairness when a bit is 25mm it's really just an inch(yeah i checked a few with a micrometers)
1 inch = 25.4mm Since I used a forstner bit and not a hole saw, the hole is very precise and clean. I should have looked for something more like 15/16" or even 7/8" instead of 1 inch. The grommet would have a tighter fit and the headlight would have been better sealed.

·
GTOAA 04-06 Technical Advisor
228 Posts
OK, I am reversing here. I have made several undoable changes to the car in the past week that only purchasing new parts (which I am in process of for stowing away) will allow me to return to stock. so I am ready for some HIDs. 2 questions, what was the final cost and what about the brights?
People tell me I don't need them after installing HIDs but I don't buy it. I want close in light (lows) and then light up the next county (brights).

·
Registered
351 Posts
OK, I am reversing here. I have made several undoable changes to the car in the past week that only purchasing new parts (which I am in process of for stowing away) will allow me to return to stock. so I am ready for some HIDs. 2 questions, what was the final cost and what about the brights?
People tell me I don't need them after installing HIDs but I don't buy it. I want close in light (lows) and then light up the next county (brights).
My halogen high beams still work fine. It's not recommended to switch to HID for the high beams because the bulbs will prematurely wear out. I also removed my daytime running lights relay, as recommended.

Are we ready for round two?
Also at frank how did you buds go?
Marc, I have to agree with Rukee about the color of your font. My buddy's install went fine. He is very happy with his HID's. Thanks!

41 - 60 of 70 Posts