Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's here...just in time to get my car back!



Woohoo!

The CHiPpies have been cracking down up on the I-5 in a big way...I will feel naked no more
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
When I moved to California in 1981 -- one of the coolest things about the place was that the CHP didn't use radar. So as long as you paid attention to everything going on around you -- your chances of getting a speeding ticket were pretty small.

Coming from Connecticut, where you were subjected to bursts of radar waves so frequently that hot dogs would cook themselves in the package on the way home from the grocery store -- it was like going to heaven.

Now it's all going out the window -- and that really sucks. We're just going to be another state where the cops sit in the weeds shooting radar all day -- and will no doubt write you up every time because they had to set their Krispy Kremes down for a minute.

I have respect for cops -- but the overgrown meter maid act stinks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
I wish radar detectors were legal in VA, the cops here run around with detector detectors, so what we realy need is a detector detector detector.
Anyone know where I can get a good radar jammer or maby some radar absorbant body parts for my GTO. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Braman'sGTO said:
I wish radar detectors were legal in VA, the cops here run around with detector detectors, so what we realy need is a detector detector detector.
Anyone know where I can get a good radar jammer or maby some radar absorbant body parts for my GTO. :D
http://www.speedzones.com/

http://www.radarjammers.com/

I've used the Rocky Mountain Jammer and it works from past experience. As I drove by the cop and watched him looking at his gun like something was wrong :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Active Radar Jamming is illegal...and carries a hefty fine. I did a bunch of online reasearch and found out there are some "jammers" offered, but they really don't work too well. As far as I know, there is a VG-2 system that detects radar detector detectors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Passive jammers are legal except in OK, MN. VA. CA. NE and DC.

Active "laser" jammers are legal except in OK. MN. VA. CA. UT. NB.

And as stated above 'Active' radar is a no-no everywhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JTYLER1604 said:
I have never heard of a Radar Detector Detector. I don't know how that would work since Radar Detectors only RECEIVE a radar signal as far as I know.
Detectors also transmit at very low power...some "leak" more than others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
ftlfirefighter said:
$399, only available from Valentine directly. Works great though, mines already paid for itself in a week! :cheers
Not bad considering I've lived here all my life and I know my money is personally responsible for at least half of the new streets in this damn city :rofl: !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh. My. Gawd.

The Valentine One kicks much in the way of ass.

On my way to work, it found and pointed out two CHiPpies who were broadcasting in Ka. One was coming the other way on a divided freeway and one was sitting on the divider shoulder around a blind curve...the sneaky bastard. That guy actually popped a Camry who hustled past me in the fast lane after I backed off upon seeing the single bogey singing out on Ka.

That bogey counter and arrow system is amazing. Some of these other radar detectors may or may not have better sensitivity, but the arrows (awesome as it pointed out the CHP cruiser moving in the opposite direction) and counters you get with the V1 are an incredible tactical advantage when you're trying to spot the revenuers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
Groucho said:
Oh. My. Gawd.

The Valentine One kicks much in the way of ass.

On my way to work, it found and pointed out two CHiPpies who were broadcasting in Ka. One was coming the other way on a divided freeway and one was sitting on the divider shoulder around a blind curve...the sneaky bastard. That guy actually popped a Camry who hustled past me in the fast lane after I backed off upon seeing the single bogey singing out on Ka.

That bogey counter and arrow system is amazing. Some of these other radar detectors may or may not have better sensitivity, but the arrows (awesome as it pointed out the CHP cruiser moving in the opposite direction) and counters you get with the V1 are an incredible tactical advantage when you're trying to spot the revenuers.
You definately bought the best. The Valentine is a must for any person that wants to travel a large distance in a sane amount of time. I just did a Pittsburgh trip and covered 1050 miles in 14 hrs and 10 mins. It turns into two days without the Valentine one. Set the cruise at 85 and relied on the detector to save my butt while I watched for nuts and stupid left-lane bandits.

Now this WOOT thing. That sounds like something Jeff Foxworthy might say...... You might be a redneck if you ever used Woot and WooHoo in the same post on the internet. LOL :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BTW- I lifted this from another Forum:

This is a list of what bands of what cops use on the HIGHWAY. Thank you all for contributing!

Alabama - X
Arizona - K, Ka, Laser, Photo Radar, Vascar
California - KA, Pacing, K, Airborn VASCAR, Laser
Connecticut - Laser, Pace Method (unmarked cars), POP, K
Delaware- Laser, Ka
Florida - Laser, KA, K
Georgia - Laser, K, X
Illinois - KA, K, Airborn Vascar, Laser
Indiana - K, X, POP
Indiana/Ohio border - Pace Method/Laser/Vascar (unmarked cars)
Kentucky - Laser, KA, K, X
Louisiana - K, KA, X, Laser
Maryland - K, KA, Laser, X, Pace with unmarked cruisers
Massachusettes - X, K, Laser, KA
Michigan - K, KA, Laser, X
Minnasota - K, KA, Pace method
Nevada - POP, Ka
New Jersey - X, K, Laser, KA
New Hampshire- K, Ka, Laser
New York - KA, K, Laser, Airborn VASCAR, POP
North Carolina - KA, K, X, LASER, VASCAR
North Dakota - K, KA
Ohio - Laser, KA, K, X
Oklahoma - X, K, KA, Laser
Pennsylvania - stationery instant-on K, VASCAR
Tennessee - Laser
Texas - KA, K, POP, X, Laser
Virginia - K, KA, Laser, Airborn VASCAR
Vermont - Laser, K, Ka
Washington - Laser, K, Ka, POP, Airborn VASCAR
Wisconsin - Laser, K
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
fergyflyer said:
So I guess that got turned back on me. You might be a redneck if you don't know that wOOt is l33t. LOL.

Hey congrats on getting you car back.
:lol:

Thanks.

The above list mentions "Airborne VASCAR" as a California Highway speed revenue collection tool. I saw a CHP Cessna 185 sauntering his way low along the I-5 today as well...I've been making this commute for 6 month now and I've never seen that before. No defense for that except the old Mark One Eyeball. Or a FIM-92 Stinger.

Good article on Airborne VASCAR here... http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=5500
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Groucho said:
:lol:

Thanks.

The above list mentions "Airborne VASCAR" as a California Highway speed revenue collection tool. I saw a CHP Cessna 185 sauntering his way low along the I-5 today as well...I've been making this commute for 6 month now and I've never seen that before. No defense for that except the old Mark One Eyeball. Or a FIM-92 Stinger.

Good article on Airborne VASCAR here... http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=5500http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=5500
We have them here in VA but damn if I have ever seen one. AAA and .50 cal is not as effective as a FIM-92 but it is a hellof alot more fun :shutme :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Groucho said:
Anyone ticketed by means of VASCaR should fully use the law of mathematics in their corner to rebut the system. The key word in testimony will be "reaction time".

Let's just say we're tooling along and the Five Oh pull up behind us with their blue and red flashing. You know it wasn't radar because your detector never went off, you ask him what was the reference points? 100 foot white strips, ok what was the time traveled? 1 second.

Ok, so in a vacuum you were traveling at 68.18mph in a 55, busted. But with the average "reaction time" of a human being at .300 seconds, this could either be 52.44mph, or 97.40mph. Do you see a problem with this?
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top