Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I guess the speed limiter on the 05's is at 160mph. Scary thing is that it was only in 5th at 6000 rpms. In 6th it was only at 4000 rpms. I have a feeling that these cars can do at least 180mph. I have a video but I don't no how to post it. So if anyone wants to see it then they need to help me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've read it's governed at 158. So you might have been going that.

Anyway, hypothetically, with the .58:1 6th gear ratio, and the differential ratio, with the 6500 rpm redline, it should go... 251... with 17 inch tires.

Air drag would prevent that, of course. Realistically, perfect conditions, no governor, it probably would go 170.

It would be insane to try on public roads, with civilian tires, assuming you bypassed the governor. You just don't know what the tires, suspension, steering and asphalt are gonna do at that speed. But, whatever it is, it'll happen fast!

·
Registered
556 Posts
6th gear is too tall to pull top speed in. You'd need a few hundred more horses to overcome wind resistance and drive train losses to top out in 6th. I don't know if I'll ever get the nerve to run mine up to the gov! Atleast on public roads.

:cheers

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yup.... I have personally been at 162 in mine, with a passenger. There seemed to be plety left and no governor kicked in. I am starting to think that this car really isn't governored. Many people have had these reportedly at the 160 - 165 range with ease. I heard in Europe they have driven these at 170+.... I will look for the post, and link it here.

G

·
you guys are funny. does no one take into consideration your speedo may in fact be off by up to 10mph???? What you need to do is calculate your speed based on rpm, trans gear you are in, tire size and rear end gear. Once you have all that figured out, you can go here http://www.f-body.org/gears to type in all the info, and based on RPM, you can see your TRUE speed that you reached.

-Mike

·
Registered
418 Posts
The UK 05 Monaro (non speedlimited) hit 182mph in the road test.
Coupleof the guys that have run the Silver State challenge with mild mods and no limiter have been radared at similiar speeds. The GTO has a low % of drag for its size. Should not be too hard to run 200mph with a turbo or supercharger...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
big_mike said:
you guys are funny. does no one take into consideration your speedo may in fact be off by up to 10mph???? What you need to do is calculate your speed based on rpm, trans gear you are in, tire size and rear end gear. Once you have all that figured out, you can go here http://www.f-body.org/gears to type in all the info, and based on RPM, you can see your TRUE speed that you reached.

-Mike

My speedo said 158 and my gps said 160. I think ill go with the gps on this one. My car has a limiter for sure cause it stoped at 158...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Same with mine... it stopped me just before 160 (indicated) as well.
And my friend Derek took his Kleeman Stage II E55 to 193 (IIRC) on street tires on a public highway (very late at night) and said it was rock solid up there, and at ~160 my car felt just as nice as going 90 so I think 170 wouldn't be "scary" or cause too many problems.

But yeah, 100mph closing speed on a car in front of you is not too safe, and hitting a deer at 170mph might ruin your day just a little, so I guess these experiments will be left to those of us who have more balls that brains!

·
Registered
410 Posts
slonlo_350 said:
100mph closing speed on a car in front of you is not too safe, and hitting a deer at 170mph might ruin your day just a little, so I guess these experiments will be left to those of us who have more balls that brains!
Well said! Let's not exercise the Darwin Theory.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yes... we really shouldn't do this on the street. my excuse :rolleyes: is that I was in the high desert on a plateu and I could see for miles... not a car in sight either direction. You folks in the east don't get to see that very often if at all.

·
Registered
418 Posts
LS2FAST said:
I was in the high desert on a plateu and I could see for miles... not a car in sight either direction. .
Guess that rules our deer and cows too..
:D

Gotta watch for Coyotes and Road Runners though..

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Top Gear tested the 6.0 liter and drove it just a hair over 185MPH. This is the exact car we have with the fuel tank moved to the trunk. Only difference is the ground effects.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Vedli said:
can you chip it and bypass the limiter .. if there is one?? :willy: :party:
I've been told there is one available.........

JET

·
Registered
165 Posts
big_mike said:

-Mike
I use on occasion a GPS when traveling and can attest to the accuracy of the speedometer of the GTO. In my car, it agrees within 1 mph of what the GPS says. At extreme speed (120 plus) tread creep under load from wind resistence begins diverging indicated MPH and actual MPH indicated by the GPS by a small amount (about 2 MPH @ 120). Never been anywhere near 160 in my goat but I would guess the speedo might be 3 MPH slow at those speeds.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.