Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your heart pumps Pontiac Metallic Blue like mine does, you'll love this article about the day Pontiac didn't just beat, but utterly DESTROYED the best the world had to offer.

"Taking off from the pole position, Goldsmith laid the hammer flat and the big Pontiac engine just sang. He pulled away from all of them, even the mystery 427s. As rain showers came and went (and the race continued) his lead continued to open wider and wider. As I stated earlier, he lapped one of the Ferrari GTOs eight friggin’ times before the end of the race. By the time the checkered flag flew, Goldsmith had lapped the second place finisher, some guy in a Corvette named AJ Foyt, twice. Yes, he won this race by five whole miles." ... and that's over a total race distance of only 250 miles, folks.

BangShift.com Super Duty Pontiac Tempest

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
If your heart pumps Pontiac Metallic Blue like mine does, you'll love this article about the day Pontiac didn't just beat, but utterly DESTROYED the best the world had to offer.

"Taking off from the pole position, Goldsmith laid the hammer flat and the big Pontiac engine just sang. He pulled away from all of them, even the mystery 427s. As rain showers came and went (and the race continued) his lead continued to open wider and wider. As I stated earlier, he lapped one of the Ferrari GTOs eight friggin’ times before the end of the race. By the time the checkered flag flew, Goldsmith had lapped the second place finisher, some guy in a Corvette named AJ Foyt, twice. Yes, he won this race by five whole miles." ... and that's over a total race distance of only 250 miles, folks.

BangShift.com Super Duty Pontiac Tempest

Thanks for that one, Bear. Great article. Never knew it. Another Pontiac piece of history revealed.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've known Paul Goldsmith for about about 23 years. I knew he raced Harley WRs on the beach at Daytona and then went on to race cars, but I had no idea about this part of his racing career. I guess I need to get over to see him. I'd have him autograph the article, but I can't get it to print. Oh well, maybe he's got an engine lying around that I can use in my 67 convertible.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've known Paul Goldsmith for about about 23 years. I knew he raced Harley WRs on the beach at Daytona and then went on to race cars, but I had no idea about this part of his racing career. I guess I need to get over to see him. I'd have him autograph the article, but I can't get it to print. Oh well, maybe he's got an engine lying around that I can use in my 67 convertible.
Oh wow... if it'd help I'll find a way to print it and send it to you. I'd love to just sit and listen to him tell his version of the story.

Bear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts