Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to this thread but I'm excited to share my purchase. Today, I completed the purchase of a 67 GTO. It is an all original car with matching numbers. Although I grew up around muscle cars and dirt track cars and anything high performance - I never thought I'd be blessed enough to have a great car like this. Unfortunately, it came as a result of the passing of my neighbor. A great man, this guy was a perfectionist (and reminded me a little of my dad who I lost 12 years ago). I asked him one day what he had in his garage, and he responded "that's my baby." After his passing, at the young age of 61, his daughter told me that they were considering selling the car. I immediately made an offer after looking at it with two "GTO" guys. Both thought I'd be nuts if I passed it up, and both were interested in purchasing it too - if I didn't. Well I did. Today I transferred the title and received a great deal of documentation on the car. The car's odometer shows 7272 miles. I know - hard to believe. I looked at documentation showing that it only had 6189 nearly 22 years ago when they purchased in from an individual in Columbus. They have only taken the car out of their garage a handful of times in the last 21+ years. The two guys I took to see the car believe that the car has been garaged for the last 40 years or so. The documentation I got with it (lots of documentation) includes the original window sticker from Bud Meadows Pontiac in Seattle, Washington. I also got the original sales receipts with a breakdown of all of the goodies. This receipt is from Osborne-Mcann Pontiac in Tacoma, Washington. The vin on both match that on my car. Total purchase price $3,602.58.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the "congrats" gents. Does the fact that the "Body Plate" indicates that it was built in the 3rd week of January increase the value of this car? Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for the "congrats" gents. Does the fact that the "Body Plate" indicates that it was built in the 3rd week of January increase the value of this car? Thanks!
Nice find and buy. If it really is original miles and it's unmolested ( most all original parts still on) I would say that's what will increase its value not any dates. I hope you enjoy and if it is all original take pictures of everything . There are a lot of folks that need those for reference on rebuilds. I would have a real good gto expert look it over before you do anything .it crazy but just about every part on the car is date coded so be careful to keep every part you take offf. But that's up to you. I wish you the best. Doug

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Doug. What I know for sure (in reference to the mileage) is that the car only had 6,189 miles on it when it was bought in 1997. I also know that the owners only took it out of the garage a couple of times in those 21+years. Unfortunately, before 1997, I have little info. The two guys who I took to look at it (who know old cars), both believe that the car is clean enough to have that few miles on it. They believe it could have been stored by the previous owner for years without driving (which is what the wife told me they were told). How do you prove it though? Odometer works, stories from prior to 1997 match up, two knowledgeable guys believe in the chances, but what else can be done???? Can a title history of the car be found?

The interior is perfect ( needs detailed and is a little moldy, but no tears or issues). The headliner is perfect too. The roof is perfect and original. The chrome is extremely nice, with some minor pitting, The body is very nice, but the driver's door has been painted (prior to 1997 according to pictures). I believe the door was painted very early because I have the business card from an individual in Tacoma Washington who does pin-striping (where the car was originally purchased). Motor all original.

The documentation I received was also amazing. The original window sticker, which they laminated years ago, the original - hand written sales receipt that shows the customer paid cash for it. The original owner's manual and service book with the Protect-O-Plates on the back, and various receipts. I haven't found the build sheet in my records, hopefully it'll be in the car. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It hard to prove if original miles but the information you have is a great indicator . It really comes down to who sold the car and if you trust them which sound like it's not and issue with you. I bought a 68 in 2011 and had same in 1973 before entering military service . I love to drive mine now that it's up and running and hope you get that out on the road and enjoy . Im not sure how up to date you are on values but unmolested originals is where the money is. It yours now so do as you wish . Just so you know lots of info on PY forum also and my kids tell me facebooks is taking over. Take care Doug

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congratulations, I would love to own a '67. Maybe someday.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Post up a picture of the pedals. My bet is your car has 107,000 or 207,000 miles on it. These cars roll over at 100k and start new. My '67 only had 25,000 miles on it when I bought it in 1983. Showing on the odometer. The car in reality had 125,000 miles on it. Now it shows only 53,000 miles on the odometer. I've put 132,000 ;miles on it myself....the car really has 253,000 miles on it! Regardless, it's a very nice car, and I vote to fix what needs fixing and driving it. I would NOT 'restore' or 'upgrade' it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Being it may have spent time in WA state I'd say those wipers got a good amount of use ;)
It's not uncommon for the "electroplate" chrome to peel off those plastic bezels. Once the plating is fractured it becomes very problematic.

Looks like a good base to have fun with, More interested in knowing WHT is going on under that mound of goo above the air box in the engine bay?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A few more pictures of my GTO. It's the first car I've ever owned that random people stop by to see when the garage door is open. This could be a fun summer, and I can see why you guys are so passionate about these cars. Anyone going to the swap meet in Carlisle PA, and is it worth going?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would check for worn rubber and trim ring on the brake pedal and gas pedal, wear on the steering wheel, wear on the carpet by the gas pedal, and especially the drivers side arm rest. The carpeting has the wrong foot pad area and might have been replaced. There are many signs to look for just in replaced or worn parts, paint overspray, etc. Everything from interior to the drivetrain, when determining if it is a low mileage vehicle. Correct me if I am wrong but, is the drivers door a shade different and the pinstripe stops before the quarter panel? Or is it a reflection? Either way, she is a beauty, and most of all, it's yours. Love the color/vinyl top combo. You're gonna love it.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Congratulations !

·
Registered
11 Posts
MGB33, Headlight wouldn't be as worn. Headlight you pull out and leave it or push in to shut off lights and only at night. The wiper knob is twisted to activate wipers. No delay wipers back then so you had a fast/slow speed only, constantly adjusting according to how heavy the rain fall is, and shutting it off when there was a slight mist instead of hearing the wipers dragging across the windshield.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks CIJ 911 for the congrats. Autie - great info - thank you. I imagine carpet could have been replaced. Driver's door was repainted early in the car's life. I have a business card from the Tacoma, Washington area of the pin striper who re-pin striped the door. The car was garaged the last 22 years, and that owner only put just over a thousand miles on it in that time. I had a gentleman come up and look at it this past weekend. He has pretty good knowledge of these cars. He was impressed with the interior/headliner (no tears or real flaws), the top, and the tightness of the doors (no drop when opening). Although the paint is extremely dull, the body is extremely straight (except the left rear fender that has a slight crease). Everyone on here probably knows more than I do, but here are a few more pictures of the things you questioned. Thanks again for your feedback and input.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would check for worn rubber and trim ring on the brake pedal and gas pedal, wear on the steering wheel, wear on the carpet by the gas pedal, and especially the drivers side arm rest. The carpeting has the wrong foot pad area and might have been replaced. There are many signs to look for just in replaced or worn parts, paint overspray, etc. Everything from interior to the drivetrain, when determining if it is a low mileage vehicle. Correct me if I am wrong but, is the drivers door a shade different and the pinstripe stops before the quarter panel? Or is it a reflection? Either way, she is a beauty, and most of all, it's yours. Love the color/vinyl top combo. You're gonna love it.
GOOD INFO - Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts