Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
until I test drove a GTO! :party: I got an 05 A4 blk on blk. Looks so mean. My previous car was a brown 98 Grand Am SE 4 cyl so my goat is a HUGE improvement.

I've lurked on these forums for a while but I still have a couple questions. The dealer said I should keep the car under 55 mph for 500 miles (no fast acceleration either). Whats the best break in procedure for the GTO? Also, are there any special fuel or oil additives I should use? Should I get an early oil change? Thx, and I like this site!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Everybody has a different opinion on how to break in the motor. I think the best thing to do is vary your speed for about the first 500 miles or so. Don't go to fast (it's hard, I know) and definitely not running it into the red line. Also, I would recommend you to get an oil change at around 500 miles and then another around 2000. I use Amsoil and I'm happy with it. You might want to think about switching all of your fluids to synthetic. I use Royal Purple for rear diff. and tranny. Congrats on your car and welcome to the herd!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same problem about a month ago. I never seriously considered one (I always liked them), but my wife and I needed a new car and test drove one just for fun. Only difference is it took us two weeks with the car constantly on our minds before we got our 05 Midnight Blue Auto.
We took the car above 55 during the break-in period, its almost impossible to do that around San Diego, but not too fast either. No problems.
:cheers

·
Registered
910 Posts
Best way to seat the rings is to bring the R's up (but not hold them there) and then let them come down. I'm not saying bring it up to 6K, just around 4-4500rpm's intermittently. Considering car is under warranty I would stay with Mobil 1. God forbid there is an internal engine problem, anything other than Mobil 1 could give Dealer a reason to void warranty, as it specifically states Mobil 1 in engine compartment. I have used Mobil 1, RP and Syntech in race engines I have had. I see no significant difference in hp or the way the bearings looked after 2 hard seasons of turning low 9's and high 8's.
Beware of the notorious rear end whine. Let dealer take care of that if & when it happens. Other than that you probably know all the other quirks about the GTO , since you're not new to the forum. Good luck with the car...!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Welcome I personally use Royal Purple, I love it. I drove her easy for 500 miles. Then did her first oil change, at 500.:cheers

·
Registered
590 Posts
welcome to the "group" congrats on the ride. enjoy.

read your manual. change your oil as soon as you can. lots of little shavings come out first and second change.

·
1/8 7.63 at 89.14, 60ft of 1.61
260 Posts
Welcome, you made a wise choice,its hard not to buy one once you drive it,that power is addicting,we wern't looking either but the saleman insisted i test drive it....well that was it, haven't stopped smiling since!Love it!

·
Registered
454 Posts
congrats on the car and welcome to the forum
follow the owners manual for breakin and as far as fuel or oil additives goes ...don't use any!!! use Mobile 1 oil and premium fuel

·
Registered
228 Posts
SDSU_GTO said:
until I test drove a GTO! :party: I got an 05 A4 blk on blk. Looks so mean. My previous car was a brown 98 Grand Am SE 4 cyl so my goat is a HUGE improvement.

I've lurked on these forums for a while but I still have a couple questions. The dealer said I should keep the car under 55 mph for 500 miles (no fast acceleration either). Whats the best break in procedure for the GTO? Also, are there any special fuel or oil additives I should use? Should I get an early oil change? Thx, and I like this site!

You from San Diego???

·
Registered
364 Posts
johnebgoode said:
...Considering car is under warranty I would stay with Mobil 1. God forbid there is an internal engine problem, anything other than Mobil 1 could give Dealer a reason to void warranty, as it specifically states Mobil 1 in engine compartment...
The owner's manual does not, and can not by law, require you to use a specific brand of oil. Read your owner's manual and see what it actually says. The wording my my wife's Chevy Trailblazer, which has the 5.3L V-8, and my Corvette is slightly different, but neither requires a specific brand of oil (despite the Mobil 1 marketing on the car).

The Corvette owners manual requires an oil meeting GM Standard 4718M, a standard which Mobil 1 does meet, but so do many others including these AMSOIL products:
AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 10w30
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 5w30

Please don't take this to imply that I am saying you shouldn't use Mobil 1, as I'm not. All I'm saying is you have choices that do comply with the owner's manual.

As for break-in, here are my thoughts. During the first 500 miles, don't baby it, but don't use wide open throttle (WOT) either. Vary the speed, the gear and the load to help bed in the rings and drivetrain. I personally wouldn't worry about 55 mph as that number really has no meaning (is that 55 mph in 6th? Does that mean 55 mph in 3rd is okay?). I wouldn't drive around at high speed, but I certainly wouldn't sweat driving 65 in a 65 zone either. After 500 miles, gradually increase your use of the throttle until you are at the 1000 mile point when I would change the oil, then have at it. :cheers

P.S. Congrats on the new car. Enjoy it! :cool

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.