Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Phantom Black GTO, with a 6-speed, with a K&N CAI installed. 7,000 miles. :eek:

What steps should I take to get 500RWHP? :party:
I want to build it right the first time. :cheers

I want to do a build that will last, as long as I don't drag race it every weekend. :shutme

I'm not completely against a supercharger or turbocharger, but I have concerns with consistancy of power because of things I have heard/read. Like as example that the MagnaCharger kit loses HP the more you pound on it :shutme , due to heat. I read that in HOT-ROD Mag. :confused

Please help.

B

·
0 Posts
To get 500rwhp in a MANUAL LS1 equipped GTO is quite easy with a simple head/cam package, long tube headers, catback, and good tune! It will probably rev to 7000rpm but as long as you make the power, thats all that counts. Or you can do a blower and cam, with full exhaust and tune. EVERY blower suffers due to heat which is why you get one that has an intercooler. The choice is yours really on how you want to make the power but whats important is that you DO make the power.

How big is your budget?

·
Registered
194 Posts
ATI + N2O (small shot) is probably the easiest as long as you have a good tuner available. You will have around 450 at your foot anytime and with the juice you could have 5-600 rwph as needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
big_mike said:
To get 500rwhp in a MANUAL LS1 equipped GTO is quite easy with a simple head/cam package, long tube headers, catback, and good tune! It will probably rev to 7000rpm but as long as you make the power, thats all that counts. Or you can do a blower and cam, with full exhaust and tune. EVERY blower suffers due to heat which is why you get one that has an intercooler. The choice is yours really on how you want to make the power but whats important is that you DO make the power.

How big is your budget?
about 5k total.

B

·
0 Posts
then I would strongly suggest heads/cam package from Cartek. They are making 500-600hp LS1's daily !!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
STS turbo, saw a post months ago about someone running one with an upgraded turbo and he was running low 10's. Not sure what else he had to do that. If I recall, base STS system should be under 5k though.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Procharger will get you around 440 rwhp, STS with LS6 cam and 8lbs if boost gets you 480 rwhp, you could get a small cam, underdrive, cai, l.t.'s, cat back, and a 125 shot you'll be there easy (and cheaply).

B

·
0 Posts
GTODEALER said:
proposed the following:

Procharger - 440 rwhp - $6000 installed
STS with LS6 cam and 8lbs of boost - 480 rwhp - $6000 installed
Small cam, underdrive, cai, lt's, cat back, 125 shot - $5000 installed
OR, you can go with a heads/cam package, 7000rpm redline, and spend about $3,000 and not worry about having to refill anything, or change your oil every so often, or have a custom exhaust run.

Its your choice though, these are just all your options.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
big_mike said:
OR, you can go with a heads/cam package, 7000rpm redline, and spend about $3,000 and not worry about having to refill anything, or change your oil every so often, or have a custom exhaust run.

Its your choice though, these are just all your options.
You honestly think that a heads/cam package is going to get it's advertised #'s without supporting mods (i.e. l.t.'s, cai, underdrive, cat back....)? If you go that route it's more than $3k!

B

·
0 Posts
from CARTEK? Yes, I do. Its been proven time and time again. Now, with intake and exhaust the numbers just get higher.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts