Torque [email protected] RPM

0-50 4.00 sec.
0-60 5.20 sec.
0-70 6.80 sec.
1/4 Mile 13.69 sec.
60-0 Braking 109.00 ft.
Issue Apr-04
Slalom 65.00 mph

I have seen used, low mileage '03s for as little as $33k. Not as fast as the '05 GTO but it won't depreciate in value as fast either. There is also an aftermarket for these cars that can tune these engines to produce ~500 hp. I will have to mull over my decision for a while.

·
Registered
386 Posts
EdwardC said:

'03-'05 Jaguar S-type R

Standard Engine 4.2L V8
Standard Transmission 6 Speed Automatic
Cylinders 8
Horsepower [email protected] RPM

0-50 4.00 sec.
0-60 5.20 sec.
0-70 6.80 sec.
1/4 Mile 13.69 sec.
60-0 Braking 109.00 ft.
Issue Apr-04
Slalom 65.00 mph

I have seen used, low mileage '03s for as little as $33k. Not as fast as the '05 GTO but it won't depreciate in value as fast either. There is also an aftermarket for these cars that can tune these engines to produce ~500 hp. I will have to mull over my decision for a while.

Wait until you have to take it in for unwarrantied repairs. Woo boy, you'll be in for a treat.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sweet Car, I saw Nomar Garciaparra pull up in an S-type at fenway last year. Of course he ended up in chicago now so i dont wish that fate on you....

Haha just kidding Chicago is cool.

-Frank

·
Registered
267 Posts
EdwardC said:

'03-'05 Jaguar S-type R

Standard Engine 4.2L V8
Standard Transmission 6 Speed Automatic
Cylinders 8
Horsepower [email protected] RPM

0-50 4.00 sec.
0-60 5.20 sec.
0-70 6.80 sec.
1/4 Mile 13.69 sec.
60-0 Braking 109.00 ft.
Issue Apr-04
Slalom 65.00 mph

i love the nose but the rear end looks very low budget, the interior is sweet, and they run really good[for a luxury car] but would consider a 04 gto, with the rebates they are almost giving them away, and in 3 years i am sure they will be making somthing new that is a "got to have car" and you wont loose that much on the gto... just my 2 cents :cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
EdwardC said:
I have seen used, low mileage '03s for as little as $33k. Not as fast as the '05 GTO but it won't depreciate in value as fast either.
I think that statement is a little conflicted. You're hoping that $60k car won't continue to depreciate like it apparently has to date. It probably won't but I sure wouldn't want to be the guy trying to sell one out of warranty.

If you're willing to take the risk, they do seem like pretty cool cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good luck getting parts. At least with a domestic common brake pads cost about $20.00 at autozone vs $200.00 from blokes at Jag.

·
Registered
267 Posts
:eek: bnvus.. i would love to see your dance inperson?? :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
djdub said:
Wait until you have to take it in for unwarrantied repairs. Woo boy, you'll be in for a treat.
:agree What he said...Nice materials & design; poor execution. Quality control is non-existent on Jags & repairs are astronomical.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Used, the R type seems a lot of car for the money.

Someone else on this forum or the LS1 GTO forum had been considering one also and got a number of cautions relating to a common engine failure/replacement problem related to the linerless alloy block that they use.

This is only hearsay, but I know that BMW had a similar problem with their linerless V8 in the early nineties. The Germans hadn't figured on our high sulfur content fuel and the combustion byproducts were washing the silicon-nitride coating off the cylinder walls. Compression went out the window and your V8 became a V7 or 6 or 5.

Worth some cautionary investigation anyway. Wouldn't want to have to pay for an out-of-warranty Jaguar engine replacement.
:(

·
Registered
267 Posts
i cant belive they coat the aluminium cyl and expect it to last 200,000 miles , i remember 2 stroke bikes using it and it would wear after 80 hrs granted it was under more stress on the bike but...wtf its a 60,000 dollar car :shutme

·
Registered
56 Posts
Actually, it's well-accepted and durable technology now. That's why I was surprised to hear that Jag was having a problem related to it (but that's Jaguar for you).

For what it's worth, 4 stroke bikes use it too (at least Gixxers do)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Baron Samedi said:
Actually, it's well-accepted and durable technology now. That's why I was surprised to hear that Jag was having a problem related to it (but that's Jaguar for you).

For what it's worth, 4 stroke bikes use it too (at least Gixxers do)
yea. the last one was a 94 yz 250, so i am out of touch when it comes to 2 strokes bikes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
flht3 said:
yea. the last one was a 94 yz 250, so i am out of touch when it comes to 2 strokes bikes.
Linerless is certainly common on bikes nowadays, but for a car I was planning on living with for a long time, I'll take liners please!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts