Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had already seen this guy twice that day, he was a typical wannabe gansta, who obviously didn't pay for this car. He had his girl with him and I had a friend with me. He did a fly by, so when the road cleared I tried to pulled up to him and he floored it. At this point I got annoyed because he would never pull up even. I dropped it into 2nd and took off from behind him, he gunned it and I simply passed him a pulled about 4-5 five cars on him. I made it to about 130mph before i realized he had let off and was far behind. After that he never tried to catch back up, at the next stop light I had to turn left (I don't live in the big gated subdivision) he pulled up with his windows up and never looked over. I know it wasn't exactly a fair race but he wouldn't let me try and make it one. He probably thought he would just pull away. WRONG!!!!:lol:

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I'll play Deuuuce.

What are your mods, this could not possibly happen unless you are modded and the SRT8 was stock. Or the driver might not have known to push the 48 buttons and put it into special super mode. Most drivers fail to do this and that's why the SRT8 loses sometimes.

Nice kill.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are no mods to my knowledge, I bought it used and I'm almost sure that it has a tune or at least something along those lines but no mechanical things that I see. Oh ya add a Supra and an 03ish Stang Gt to the list killed them on the way home tonight! I Love this car!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'll play Deuuuce.

What are your mods, this could not possibly happen unless you are modded and the SRT8 was stock. Or the driver might not have known to push the 48 buttons and put it into special super mode. Most drivers fail to do this and that's why the SRT8 loses sometimes.

Nice kill.
Cute. I think it was the humidity and headwind myself.

Actually the kill was so bad I wonder if it was an SRT-8 DESIGN car and not the 6.1. Solid kill regardless.

Hey, big LX/Mopar day at Sears Point tomorrow, might have zero-DA conditions, could be very interesting.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
Beatin' on any SRT8 seems reasonable with the GTO's, since any SRT8 has an average curb weight of 4,000-4,150 pounds, that extra 25hp over the LS2 aint gonna do squat when the curb weight of the GTO is 3,725 pounds... but hey, let the Mopar guys have their daydreams :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Beatin' on any SRT8 seems reasonable with the GTO's, since any SRT8 has an average curb weight of 4,000-4,150 pounds, that extra 25hp over the LS2 aint gonna do squat when the curb weight of the GTO is 3,725 pounds... but hey, let the Mopar guys have their daydreams :D
Funny because it's always been a driver's race.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Funny because it's always been a driver's race.
Funny because less weight = extra hp by comparison.
Doing the ole HP/Weight ratio math:
I take 4000lbs to give the Mopar a chance:D and 3725lbs for the GTO. GTO 400hp and SRT8 425hp.

Mopar 4000/425=9.4 lbs/hp
GTO 3725/400=9.3 lbs/hp

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I take 4000lbs to give the Mopar a chance:D and 3725lbs for the GTO. GTO 400hp and SRT8 425hp.

GTO 3725/400=9.3 lbs/hp
This should have some interesting responses. :willy:

Just so were all clear, that 0.1 horsepower won't help a bit when our shifting is off by half an RPM... like mentioned, its as close of a drivers race as it can get.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
Let us also not forget that the GTO is much more aerodynamic (especially if you lose the wing) than a 300, Charger, or Challenger. Not a big deal off the line, but it makes a difference when you're doing 70 rolls.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Let us also not forget that the GTO is much more aerodynamic (especially if you lose the wing) than a 300, Charger, or Challenger. Not a big deal off the line, but it makes a difference when you're doing 70 rolls.
I'll agree with you that aerodynamics is an important part of performance, but it really doesn't come in to play much till you're above 100.

SRT8 versus a GTO is a drivers race with the edge to the GTO.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Funny because less weight = extra hp by comparison.
More hp, weight is less of an advantage from a roll.

GTO 3725/400=9.3 lbs/hp
Doesn't take into account gearing. Or rwhp. SRT-8s range from 355 to 380rwhp stock depending upon dyno, conditions and engine temps. Nearly identical trap speeds too....

What about the LS2 in the GTO?

70mph is the dead spot for the SRT-8. Both hit 150mph in about the same amount of time (30 seconds) and for the SRT-8 4th gear is 123mph IIRC up to 173mph. Can't speak for the Challenger - less aerodynamic.

SRT8 versus a GTO is a drivers race with the edge to the GTO.
Our only point of disagreement. I would say onus on the 6M owner to hit every powershift perfectly. How do the A4s do?

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I've been seeing the A4 LS2s dynoing about 330 to 350 RWHP and the M6 very slightly more.
As for gearing, the M6 fourth gear is from 100 to 144 and fifth from 144 to 171 MPH with stock size tires and gears.
( Sixth is from 171 to a theoretical 252 MPH @ 6500 RPM)

Larry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts