Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't get me wrong, I will purchase a '05 GTO. However, it seems to me that Pontiac has made a monumental blunder in its pitiful attempts to advertise the GTO and overpricing the car once it was introduced with relatively bland styling.

Despite that, no car maker will continue to market a vehicle that does not turn a profit in a short time-frame. GM is notorious for pulling the plug early on models that don't sell.

·
Registered
265 Posts
tskatz said:
As a GM shareholder I say kill the car and our value could go up over the long haul.
I don't think a raise in value is guaranteed. The car could be viewed as too much of an experiment/novelty.

Again, don't get me wrong, I love my GTO, but the styling is just not unique enough to be sure of any positive value change.

Besides, I didn't buy this car as an investment. If that were the case I'd have it sealed up and only drive it on nice summer days. That's missing too much of the enjoyment of the car for me. Cars are built to be driven, and I want to drive places.

So I really think it would be good for all of us if Pontiac sells a lot more of these cars and keeps building them for many more years.

---Larry

·
Registered
265 Posts
Neo-GTO said:
The current car is holding a place in Pontiac's lineup for the 2007 Zeta based GTO. They won't kill it.
Things come and go at the drop of a hat. Today's favorite son at GM could be tomorrow's scape goat. IF sales figures don't line up with projections there's no telling what they'll do. I'll believe a 2007 GTO when I take delivery.

---Larry

·
Registered
19 Posts
How can we find out the total sales of 2004 GTOs?

I want the GTO to be successful, but I also like the idea of having a fairly limited version, and since the '04 will look (and be) different than the '05, in effect, it will be unique.

I live in the Memphis area, and have only seen two other GTOs on the street.

I enjoy driving the GTO, but only do so on weekends. I plan to keep it for years to come.

·
Registered
590 Posts
EdwardC said:
Don't get me wrong, I will purchase a '05 GTO. However, it seems to me that Pontiac has made a monumental blunder in it pitiful attempts to advertise the GTO and overpricing the car once it was introduced with relatively bland styling.

Despite that, no car maker will continue to market a vehicle that does not turn a profit in a short time-frame. GM is notorious for pulling the plug early on models that don't sell.
You're right about "marketing" Almost zero on marketing on Fbody's = Camaros & Firebirds, but they continued to make them for several years after "quitting" on serious marketing.

Now, how do you consider the GTO being overpriced ?

Look at any manufacturer producing a V8, rwd coupe and cost thereof.

And considering price of 02 Camaro Z28 / SS, Pon's T/A / Firehawk, I'd say the GTO is most bang for the buck, but then I just like muscle cars since I was about 9 yrs old.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Westell,

GM didn't have to pour tons of money into marketing the F-bodies in the 80's and 90's since the Camaro and Firebird names had already been well established in the psyche of the average car buyer after decades of good sales.

The GTO, on the other hand, is essentially a new product on North American shores. Although the GTO mystic may reverberate with enthusiasts, most car buyers these days are clueless about 60's and early 70's muscle cars. They think 442 is a brand of malted beverage. :rolleyes: For this reason, Pontiac should have really trumpeted the new GTO's introduction on tv and in print.

With the initial MSRP price of ~33K, the '04 GTO was overpriced especially, in comparison, with other American midpriced V-8 coupes/sedans that are entering or have entered the market such as the new Mustang, the Dodge magnum/Chysler 300C. Only the Mercury Maurader is more costly and it is amazing that Mercury has continued production for a ~$35k barge that can has trouble keeping up with a Hyundai Tiburon. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
590 Posts
4 speed, 4 barrel, dual exhaust. I remember :D

your points well taken :cheers

·
Registered
98 Posts
A 300C with a "phake"Hemi=$35,000. Magnum "F" Hemi is $33,000 The cheaper magnums and 300's do not have a V8. Nor do they have IRS !!! The Magnum interior rivals the new Mustang for "KING of Plastic"!! As to volume the GTO was never meant to sell in big number ( even 50,000 units ) The plan I believe only called for around 16 to 18,000 a year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
GM really doesn't have a lot to loose on the current GTO. If the sell all of the cars for any type of profit, then they suceeded. The true test will be the new platform behind the GTO and possible Chevy offering.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Will the GTO last?

First off, GM planned to produce 15K GTO's for 04. Up till August they had only sold 30% of the projected sales. Not good, but when you take in to account that the GTO is actually built by Holden, in Australia, the car might be around for a little while longer. Since Holden builds this car, not technically GM, and the Monaro (Australia's GTO) actually sells well, the extra cost for GM is shipping the cars across the "pond". For these reasons, I think the GTO will be around for a few more years.

·
Registered
476 Posts
westell said:
4 speed, 4 barrel, dual exhaust. I remember :D

your points well taken :cheers
I had a '71 442 convertable...sniff..
I think that Pontiac was trying to recreate the GTO like they did in '64, but back then they didn't have to compete with 13 second Subarus.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually calender year sales are not that bad (meaning the 30% figure listed above). GM has sold 9,487 GTO's through October, per their own news release (link below). They had a max capacity for 18,000 a year so they are just above half, but we don't know what their realistic expectation was. If it was 15,000, then they have sold 63% of their volume in 10 months. Figure they will sell at the same rate for Nov and Dec and they will be left with about 12,000 in sales. Now, if they had the rebates on the vehicle all year, they would have gotten rather close to their production target.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The number one problem with the sales of the car is the lack or advertising. When was the last time someone asked you what kind of car is it, and once you answer saying it is a GTO you most likely get the same response as me "Did not know they made them anymore." The only time you see one is in the car magazines and that is about that. Some people even tell me they didn't know they even were sold yet. I don't think enough hype was brought to the attention of the public before the car went on sale. Plus with people knowing all the information about the 05 GTO that took some potential buyers of the 04 away to wait one more year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
GM really needs to restyle the GTO. It looks to much like a Grand Prix. I don't know about anyone else, but I think they need to restyle it to the 68 and 69 model years and introduce a high performance model- the JUDGE.

G

·
GTO marketing was a failure. First, the tv ads I have seen show like acloud and some unseen car behind the smoke screen. YOu cannot create expectancy for a car you never get to really see. Second, yes it needs a bettet look. Third, it has 350 hp which is very good hp; yet, not enough to take on a Cobra and too expensive to comapare to a Mustang GT or a Mach 1. Size up the GTO to imports from Japan and Germany and they all look much better, more bells and whistles and much, much, much more effective media adveretising.

I bought a GTO. Why? Because it is a 350 hp car which actually looks good for me and it is really well made inside out. Still, I wish I had waited for the 05'; nevertheless, that wish could change if the 05' is too expensive (then I would consider my 04' satisfactory). I don't drive manual shift so the 04' GTO A4 is the fastest, more powerful car I could possibly buy. You can give me a Cobra for free and I would not drive it because I will not bother with manual shift, nahhh.

I estimate the 05' will be much more exciting and will be received with much enthusiasm with its new hood, 400 hp and new brake system. Still, effective media advertising will be an important factor because if you look at the 05' GTO it's looks differ only on the hood and the rear from the 04' look. Consumer would have to more knowledgable to appreciate what 6.0 L, 400 hp and larger surface area brake system really means.

You and me know the difference between in hp between a GTO and a Crossfire, a 350 Z or a Mazada RX-8 but your everyday consumer may not. The fact that it follows a GTO legend means nothing to me nor to the average consumer other than the GTO name and logo sort of rings a bell and is nothing absolutely new to me like if it was named Monaro. In that sense, what is really happening is that the Holden Monaro is being imported into the US with a more familiar american name and logo, GTO.

I love my 04' and I would be even more excited if I was getting an 05' instead. The 05' is one hell of a car. Watch out Ford is cooking something really amazing for its next Cobra.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My understanding is that 04 GTO production didn't meet the projected 15k. It was more in the area of 13K. A local dealer had 3 more 04 GTO's on order for the last 5 months. They just arrived this week. Also the 05 GTO will only appear in large markets in late December. Some areas may not see them till the April/May time frame.

·
Registered
265 Posts
jordangto said:
GM really needs to restyle the GTO. It looks to much like a Grand Prix. I don't know about anyone else, but I think they need to restyle it to the 68 and 69 model years and introduce a high performance model- the JUDGE.
From Pontiac's perspective its called "Brand Identity" and is a good thing. (Again - from their perspective) The idea is that they make a hot, really desirable car, but not everybody can afford it, but since the model down from it looks kinda sorta similar, people will buy that instead.

I'm sure that's not the words a class in Marketing would use, but you get the gyst.

As far as "a high performance model" Holy cow! They come out with a car that's 2 to 3 times more HP than anything else they sell and that's not enough??? :rolleyes: Okay, but again from their persepctive, the GTO IS the high performance model - heck it is the fastest GTO they've ever made!

---Larry

1 - 20 of 31 Posts