Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum......just a qq...I am looking around for a 400cui block.....only problem is that I am in Denmark.!

where would I find a rebuildable 400cui? Please recommend some breakers in the US that I can contact..........

If the breakers ship..fine. Otherwise I have a friend in the US who can help me...

There should be a sticky thread where all good Pontiac breakers are listed..........is there? I havent yet checked the whole forum...

Thanks again....

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Hello forum......just a qq...I am looking around for a 400cui block.....only problem is that I am in Denmark.!

where would I find a rebuildable 400cui? Please recommend some breakers in the US that I can contact..........

If the breakers ship..fine. Otherwise I have a friend in the US who can help me...

There should be a sticky thread where all good Pontiac breakers are listed..........is there? I havent yet checked the whole forum...

Thanks again....
I think it would be safer to have your friend try to locate a block. Once he does, then have it taken to a machine shop were they can evaluate the block by hot tanking & cleaning, magnafluxing to check for cracks, sonic test the cylinder walls for thickness, check bore size and roundness, check the deck for warpage, etc.. If all passes, then have it shipped.

These blocks/engines are now old and pretty worn out as many have already been rebuilt a time or two. Finding one in a junkyard is not easy as few junkyard have old cars anymore, so you will most likely find a block or engine in a "classified advertisement" in a local paper, car show/swap meet, or the popular "Craigslist" that would be in your buddies area. You don't want a block that has rotted away on the inside but looks good on the outside. There are those who would sell you a block and tell you it is good, but when you receive it over there in Denmark, it may be bad.......and what are you going to do about it?

You want a block that is 1974 and earlier as later blocks have thinner castings and will not hold up under higher horsepower. Engine block mounts can be different and some will not drop in without engine mount changes. So you want to be aware of this.

As suggested, to save you a lot of problems, you might want to consider purchasing an engine block from a reputable Pontiac engine machine shop/builder. They would not sell you a bad block. Might cost you more to do this, but if you get a bad block shipped to you, how many times do you want to take a chance and do it again hoping the next block is good? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don’t know what your schedule is on your build or where your friend is located, but I have a 400 motor that’s actually in a car and running right now. I will be changing the motor over next winter. So this is a block that your friend can actually see and here run while it’s still in the car. PM me if you’re interested and I’ll give you all the info. I’m just outside Chicago.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Also talk to Butler Performance Pontiac Group in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee south of Nashville Tn.

Butler has period 400 blocks sitting on their shelves and they ship to Europe. They do all the testing Pontiac Jim outlines, or can build the short block for you or any stage you want.

They are very helpful, give them a call and Check their website...Butler Performance.com.........phone.......866-762-7527

I have no relation with them other than they supplied and race prepped my short block. I have been to their shop many times for parts and they are a small family operation, ........some are great at Pontiacs, ......but nobody is better than Butler Performance.

Whatever you decide Good Luck!

:nerd:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow!...thanks for all that excellent info. I am on the case.......

I was hoping for a 68/69 block......

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Wow!...thanks for all that excellent info. I am on the case.......

I was hoping for a 68/69 block......
Put an ad in the 'parts wanted' section on this forum, and also on the Performance Years/Ames forum. That one gets a LOT of visits from a bunch of people. You should easily be able to get the engine you want. Good luck.
Jeff

·
Registered
186 Posts

Thanks again....
I think it would be safer to have your friend try to locate a block. Once he does, then have it taken to a machine shop were they can evaluate the block by hot tanking & cleaning, magnafluxing to check for cracks, sonic test the cylinder walls for thickness, check bore size and roundness, check the deck for warpage, etc.. If all passes, then have it shipped.

These blocks/engines are now old and pretty worn out as many have already been rebuilt a time or two. Finding one in a junkyard is not easy as few junkyard have old cars anymore, so you will most likely find a block or engine in a "classified advertisement" in a local paper, car show/swap meet, or the popular "Craigslist" that would be in your buddies area. You don't want a block that has rotted away on the inside but looks good on the outside. There are those who would sell you a block and tell you it is good, but when you receive it over there in Denmark, it may be bad.......and what are you going to do about it?

You want a block that is 1974 and earlier as later blocks have thinner castings and will not hold up under higher horsepower. Engine block mounts can be different and some will not drop in without engine mount changes. So you want to be aware of this.

As suggested, to save you a lot of problems, you might want to consider purchasing an engine block from a reputable Pontiac engine machine shop/builder. They would not sell you a bad block. Might cost you more to do this, but if you get a bad block shipped to you, how many times do you want to take a chance and do it again hoping the next block is good?
You can buy a great block after 1974. Pontiac went back to old casting in 76/79 I think, just stay away from 500557 blocks if your looking for high hp or stroking . If not it s good block cheap that most sell cheap. , plenty of standard bore 400 out there just keep eye on Craigslist . Doug

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 400 block from a 1970 Ram Air III. The block/crank have been machined. Bored .040 over. I have decided to put an LS in the car since the motor is not original (I have a 66 GTO). I would be willing to ship to you. PM me and I can send you some pics if you're interested

·
Registered
92 Posts
hello,

my experience is that you wont find any 68/69 Pontiac 400 blocks at junkyards anymore, they've all either been sent to the metal recyclers, or Pontiac enthusiasts bought them up during the 80's and 90's. I find people selling blocks on craigslist often, theres a guy down south ive spoken with by telephone last year, he had some older 9790071 400 blocks, I think he's got some 68 WT blocks, and various big car 400 blocks.
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/pts/d/talladega-pontiac-parts-1960s-70s/6824351451.html

by the way, I must say it would be diligent to have your friend checkout anything in person that you buy off craigslist, like I said I have spoken to that person but I never bought anything from him, buyer beware.

Viel Gluck !

chuck

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have contacted Butler and the fellow in Atlanta........should be interesting.

I am also looking on CL......

I can find an engine....but, inspection and shipping are my `headaches`.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts