Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this should be fun. We all have our ideas of what we would like to own, and some of us do own it. BUT.....what if you could build your car knowing now what you know and knowing what Pontiac produced?

The rules are that it has to be between 1964-1974, all Pontiac and you can mix and match engines (production or over the counter), transmissions, rear ends, and all options into the body and style of your choice. And, you can add body modifications that are Pontiac, ie Trans-Am fender scoops, '74 GTO shaker scoop, Judge wing, etc..

My car, one of many I would have:

1971 GT-37 2 Dr HT.
Black with the gold spear stripes.
Black vinyl roof.
Judge Wing & front air dam.
'70-'73 Firebird Formula 400 hood scoops molded onto the hood.
Hood pins with lanyards.
Black painted front bumper
Ram Air V engine.
M-22 rock crusher 4-speed - no console.
3.90 12 bolt rear end.
HD suspension with front & rear sway bars.
Lowered 2".
15 x 7 steel wheels painted black & dog dish hubcaps, 60 series tires.
VOE dual exhaust.
Front disc brakes.
Tinted glass.
White interior.
Power windows.
Rally gauge cluster w/tach.
Tilt wheel.
AM-FM radio.
Dual sport mirrors - black.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
I expect the car I have now is mostly what I could have ordered back then, but for a few changes (no A/C, despite being in SC; no p/s, etc.)

1968 Pontiac GTO hardtop (or post)
Burgundy paint (like now, or the med. blue)
HD frame (like convertible)
HD suspension (like Olds F-41)
top Ram Air engine
4 speed
console
Parchment interior (like now)
Rally gauge cluster w/tach
Std headlights (no hidden)
quick manual steering
front disc brakes (preferably w/o power assist)
Like Jim: 15 x 7 steel wheels, painted, w/ dog dish hubcaps, 60 series tires
3.55 12 bolt rear end w/ posi
Tinted glass
HD alternator
HD cooling system

There's probably more I'll think of, but that does it for now.
Thanks, Jim, for some fun here.
AM-FM radio w/ 8 track player (I still have 8 track tapes)

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Probably would order my '65 as it is. I like the color combo and options. (blue charcoal/blue int./tripower 4 speed/gauges/posi/manual brakes/power steering(added)/soft ray glass (added). But, and I know this is off topic a bit, I always wanted to build a '65 GTO ragtop in '68 Verero Green with a parchment interior, white top, Hurst wheels, with redlines and a red pinstripe. And have a 421 powering it. I think that color would look KILLER on a '65-'67 GTO. Same color as a buddies Schwinn Sting Ray!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I couldn't narrow it down to just 1 !

I'll start with a Black '71 Judge 455HO. 4-speed for street only--TH400 for street/strip use. 12-bolt 3.55 posi. Rally 2 wheels, white letter tires. Disc brakes for street only--drums for street/strip. Power steering for street only--manual for street/strip. AC for street only--none for street/strip. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mix & Match

BUT, since the rules are that we can mix and match parts, I'd go with an SD455 engine, with RA4 cam and alum intake. I'd wanna race it occasionally--so I'd go with a '68-'70 TH400, with a 34 element Cadillac int sprag, and a 12 bolt posi rear, with 3.55 gears.

I'd go with the biggest Rally 2 wheels that were available, with the biggest white letter tires that were available.

My 1st choice of body styles would be a '69 Judge in either silver or black. If we are not allowed a CD player, I'd want an FM radio with the antenna on the rear--NOT the front. 2nd choice would be a black '67 or '68 Bird. 3rd would be a '65 GTO in either solid black, or silver, or silver with a black vinyl top. 4th would be a black '73 Formula. 5th would be a black '71 T-37 or GT-37, with a Judge wing. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You forgot the Speed Alert Buzzah !!!!!
I have that on my '68 Lemans, but thankfully it doesn't seem to buzz or someone pulled the buzzer. My brother's '68 Bonneville had it, and of course the pointer was set past the 120 mark.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's some nice black GT-37's. But I wouldn't want white interior. And, as mentioned, I'd want a Judge wing. :)
I like a white interior and would also consider red with a black car. Black interior is definitely a choice, but seems so many came with them that it is more common than other colors.

The basic GT-37 body with the Formula 400 Firebird scoops was actually a car my friends cousin owned in high school. He said the car came from California where the custom hood was created. It looked awesome. He did not own it long before he wrapped it around a tree and totaled it. It was a great looking car and sticks with me to this day. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Here's some nice black GT-37's. But I wouldn't want white interior. And, as mentioned, I'd want a Judge wing. :)
Sawruk's '71 1/2 has a black interior in it. When I first met him in '90 @ POCI Nats, I was running the GT-37 Survey in Smoke and The Legend. Sawruk was looking for nice original door panels for the black car. Really nice original door panels were next to unobtanium even back then. Eventually, in the restoration of Sawruk's car, it gained a pair of sandalwood panels that were dyed black. Sandalwood looks good with some exterior color combinations, with other's it looks really...uhhh...bad.

Personally, am not a fan of vinyl tops on T-37s and GT-37s, just looks too busy. When I purchased my 455 HO auto '71 1/2 GT-37, I had the idea to add a rear spoiler on an extra '71 T-37 deck lid during the restoration. After seeing a white with blue stripe '71 1/2 350 GT-37 with rear spoiler driving in the Dallas/ Grand Prarie area, decided the rear spolier just looked too cheesy.

Bare bones performance with a little bit of flash was the GT-37's selling point. Most of the 70 1/2 GT-37's, along with over 90% of the 71's and 71 1/2's were base 350 2bbl cars. Today, adding a rear spoiler to one of the 350 cars, it's not going to hurt the value, many have been modified to owner's taste (some lack of laste). On the FEW remaining 400 stick cars, and ANY of the less than 10 remaining of the 54 documented 455 HO cars, its a sacrilege to modify their appearance. All I wish was different on my Adriatic/ blue '71 1/2 is that it had been ordered without an AM radio. have a gutted AM to put in place of its working radio. If I'd ordered it, would have prob not ordered variable ratio PS and the Formula wheel. The lighter the better.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
My ultimate Pontiac would be based on one of the 63 Super Duty Tempests, even the wagon which is super cool, that had the 421 with the transaxle in the rear.

Now let's update it to pro touring status with a more modern interior and set up to handle maybe substituting the rear transaxle for a C 6 Corvette 6 speed transaxle or even the automatic. The engine would be correct "looking" except for a fuel injection system utilizing 2 throttle bodies on the factory bathtub intake; otherwise looking stock. Of course it would be stroked - 500 inches or so .

I would paint it black with a tan interior, modern stereo system and Vintage Air AC. All the stock chrome, trim and emblems on the outside and maybe some widened (11" rear, 9" front) steel wheels in 17 inch diameters painted body color with factory dog dish caps on them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
65 convertible GTO. Black with Red interior.
1963 SD, 421 dual quad.
Modern 6 speed
3:90 or 4:11 rear
Power options
A/c
Hurst wheels
Tail splitters
Sport steering wheel
Quick ratio steering
Chassis components from 74 Trans Am
Bigger front rear away bar

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
918 Posts
Car - Pretty much stock for me...
'68 or '69 GTO, 455, 4 sp, Verdoro green (Sorry Nightshade) :), Parchment interior, bucket seats, center console, front discs, A/C, Posi, PS, PB, with unlimited fuel and tires (Red Lines)! wait for it................ white convertible!

For shitz-n-giggles...
Truck
'48 Chevy Pickup Resto mod, Willwood brakes, discs all around, 455, 4 sp, premium wood bed with stainless runners, 18" rear tires, 16" front tires, Bench seat for me and the Mrs., single combo-gauge cluster, chrome front and rear bumper and grill.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts