Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if a thread with a similar question has been posted or not but I thought I'd put it out there anyway.

Trust me, I have no regrets for getting my '05 Holden (How you like that Groucho? :D ). But I would still like to have a 405HP ZO6. I've owned Corvettes for the past 5 years and I think I will always have a soft spot for them. Maybe when I pay off my goat next year, I'll be able to have the best of both worlds.

So what realistic, attainable alternate ride would you get?

·
Registered
937 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
I'm not sure if a thread with a similar question has been posted or not but I thought I'd put it out there anyway.

Trust me, I have no regrets for getting my '05 Holden (How you like that Groucho? :D ). But I would still like to have a 405HP ZO6. I've owned Corvettes for the past 5 years and I think I will always have a soft spot for them. Maybe when I pay off my goat next year, I'll be able to have the best of both worlds.

Subaru WRX STi

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
Well...funny you should axe. The high gas prices and my long commute are making me cast about for the GTO's replacement.

I like the 2006 Audi A3 Sportback...I'll especially lust for it when the Quattro version comes out in '07.

Rumor is that VW is coming out with another R32. Suh-wheet.

Diggin' the Mini Cooper S. Always have.

The Honda S2000 is just a sweetheart of a car. A RWD Honda that a mere mortal can afford! Try as I might, however, I just can't stretch my needs for an economical commuter around that sweet body. Ditto on the Mazdaspeed MX-5 / Miata.

Since I put damned near 50k a year on my ride, however, I need to be realistic. I am actually looking for a low-miles used car...since I pound any resale out of a vehicle via my piling of the miles on it, it makes sense for me to let someone else take the depreciation hit. I also need something that gets better than the Goat's 19mpg average...netting an average of 27mpg, for example, would save me ~$3000/year in fuel costs alone.

However, it also must be fun to drive and get out of its own way.

What I'm looking at are the 2002-2004 Acura RSX-S, VW GTI or Beetle Turbo S, or Subie WRX.

In the mean time, I'm enjoying the hell out of my Holden.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Oh...when I bought the GTO (when I had a shorter commute and gas was cheaper), the also-rans were the VW R32, Mazda RX-8, used 330ci, and Subie WRX STi.

The V-8 and aggressive p[ricing won me over (and the fact that the VW guys weren't wheelin' and dealin' on the very limited edition R32s)...

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as my goat, it chills in the garage throughout the work week and I drive it between 60 and 150 miles on the weekend. I drive my '98 Olds Intrigue back and forth from Victorville to Edwards AFB. Even with 103,000 miles, it still average around 26 mph. I'm looking to replace it with a used 2000 to 2004 Maxima.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
As far as my goat, it chills in the garage throughout the work week and I drive it between 60 and 150 miles on the weekend. I drive my '98 Olds Intrigue back and forth from Victorville to Edwards AFB. Even with 103,000 miles, it still average around 26 mph. I'm looking to replace it with a used 2000 to 2004 Maxima.
I'm very familiar with that area- I worked at Mojave Airport for 13 years. Yours a fairly wide-open, flat drive.

Two differences with my drive is that I have a 4100' mountain pass and LA traffic to deal with on my commute...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes there will be a new R32. The A3 won't be coming out for some time in a 3 door platform. Audi doesn't want to hurt the sales of the new MKV Golf. Really sux.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Groucho said:
I'm very familiar with that area- I worked at Mojave Airport for 13 years. Yours a fairly wide-open, flat drive.

Two differences with my drive is that I have a 4100' mountain pass and LA traffic to deal with on my commute...
Yes sir it is wide open. Have seen 155 mph in my '93 Vette and 150 mph in my '98 Vette. Good thing is, it was 0430 in the morning and no other cars were around. So eventhough I was traveling at very unsafe speeds, I didn't put anyone else in harms way.

·
Registered
163 Posts
STi as well for me. Also maybe a Evo VIII but I didn't like it as much as the subaru. Also considered a used 01-04 vette in the same price range as my GTO. A used S/C Cobra 03-04 model was also considered as was the new GT (but only very briefly for the GT). :cool

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I limit my buying to brands owned by domestic manufacturers in order to keep the profits in the United States.

GM: Cadillac CTS-V (didn't get it because there weren't any good deals at the time, the interior wasn't that hot and why blow an extra $25K on a depreciating asset), Cadillac SRX-V8 (too big) and Chevrolet Corvette (wife would never have shut her yap if I brought one home).

Ford: Mustang (leftover Cobras and Mach 1s were rare and way overpriced -- the styling was outdated, too), Five Hundred (wimpy wimpy wimpy drivetrain -- otherwise outstanding), F-150 (stuff goes either in the back of the cab or banging around in the bed), Escape V6 (on days I can't fit squat in the GTO's trunk, I sort of regret not getting one of these -- might get one and add it to the fleet, anyway), Volvo S60R (not worth $45K plus and it's FWD -- but the baseball glove orange leather in a black car is awesome), Jaguar XJR (wife already has one) and Jaguar S-Type R (see CTS-V -- except it was something like $40K more).

When all is said and done, though, you can't beat this car -- especially at $25,999 plus wheels and tires.

·
Registered
674 Posts
i wasnt considering a GTO when I got mine. I read about the GTO, saw one at an autocross and liked the size of the back seat.

I was content with my 93 Z28 that had all of 41k miles on it. I planned on buying a used GTO or RX8 in a few years.

When I read about the changes for 05, and the quantity on the lots I started to follow the GTO. I planned on spending about 15-17k on a three year old GTO with 20k miles on it. When I got a new one for 20.5k and 3.5% and a 18.7 residual, I pulled the trigger.

With gas prices going up I am glad I did a smartbuy. I think the GTO will be replaced with a RSX or similar type four cylinder with a hatch. I loved my RX7s and love the versatility of my 944. a nice used cobalt may fit the bill too. it depends on my commute, which may be about 1 mile to a park and ride in a few months.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would have to say the Audi S4. I had an Audi A4 1.8T and loved it, until it got rearended.

Nothing like a 340HP All wheel drive V-8 in a small sedan :cool

·
Registered
115 Posts
When I was shopping for the GTO, I came across a 2002 Trans Am WS6 with only 2000 miles. This car would have been my second choice.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am currently shopping for my next car. The GTO and SRT8 300C are the two that have continued to get my attention.

I don't want a New Stang. Just too many of them, depreciate like hell, and I prefer the looks of the previous models.
Charger is cool, but I like the others more.

I want an American car with a Big Engine! :cheers

And I want something I can mod the hell out of! :party:

It has to have a back seat, and my son has to give me the Thumbs Up! He's 4 next week! :D

The GTO is way ahead right now!

G

·
would have been cadillac cts-v didnt want same hp for 25k more also wanted to keep my money in general motors had a ford once huge mistake never again and a chrysler product ouch!!!!!!!!!!!! the general has done a fine job on the last 5. :D

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.