• Pontiac

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
..which front end do you like better. I have never been a big fan of the Pontiac grille. IMO, it looks too much like the Grand Am. I have been looking into replacing mine with a Holden or Vauxhall front end.

If you could have yours any way you wanted it, which front end would you choose?

Vauxhall..

Holden..

or the Pontac.

I would pick the Holden, myself, but, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Just for your info the Vauxhall front end is a Holden front end it is the HSV option. To answer your question I like the standard Monaro look but l like the agressiveness of the Vauxhall/HSV. I also think it looks better as a whole package not just a front end change but I know its boocoo bucks. So for just a front end change the Monaro looks better it flows with the body lines, I think the Vauxhall front looks better as a whole body kit package.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just for your info the Vauxhall front end is a Holden front end it is the HSV option. To answer your question I like the standard Monaro look but l like the agressiveness of the Vauxhall/HSV. I also think it looks better as a whole package not just a front end change but I know its boocoo bucks.
Yup, I could only see it happening if my original front end was damaged.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I hear you and agree somewhat about the Pontiac grill looking Grand Amish but...that's what it is and I'm a purist so I would stay with Pontiac.

If you look at styling history, car lines are relatives and have a resemblance for better or for worse. I'm driving a Pontiac developed by Holden but I still want and drive a GTO. Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
In 1959 Pontiac featured the split grille. It became a Pontiac trademark. That is what really distinguished Pontiac from other cars (along with the WideTrack but that's a different story.) Pontiac did deviate in 1960 from the split grille but in 1961 the split grilled returned and since then the split grille has been PONTIAC.

Many complain the GTO has the split grille and it looks like a Grand-Am or a Grand-Prix. Every GTO made had a split grille. The new age GTO's resemble a Grand-Am BIG DEAL. The 64-72's (disassociating the endura fronts) with their split grille resembled the Lemans, or Tempest. The Split Grille IS THE PONTIAC trademark. My car is a GTO, a GTO is a Pontiac. I want my GTO to look like a Pontiac GTO, not a Pontiac Monaro. I see GTO's decked out with Monaro badges etc. They are clones to a Monaro as the VIN reflects it as a PONTIAC GTO.

I brought my car because I am a GTO fan and it carried the GTO namesake. Had the car said Monaro, I would not have purchased it. It would have been my loss though. I wanted a GTO. Split grille or not and despite the resemblance to another Pontiac, it is what it is with Pontiac's signature split grille TRADEMARK.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The Vauxhall HSV looks a bit unbalanced to me, and the Holden Monaro looks too tame. I have the option to get either one of those as of monday... I'm going to stick with the Pontiac. Monaro would be my second choice.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In 1959 Pontiac featured the split grille. It became a Pontiac trademark. That is what really distinguished Pontiac from other cars (along with the WideTrack but that's a different story.) Pontiac did deviate in 1960 from the split grille but in 1961 the split grilled returned and since then the split grille has been PONTIAC.

Many complain the GTO has the split grille and it looks like a Grand-Am or a Grand-Prix. Every GTO made had a split grille. The new age GTO's resemble a Grand-Am BIG DEAL. The 64-72's (disassociating the endura fronts) with their split grille resembled the Lemans, or Tempest. The Split Grille IS THE PONTIAC trademark. My car is a GTO, a GTO is a Pontiac. I want my GTO to look like a Pontiac GTO, not a Pontiac Monaro. I see GTO's decked out with Monaro badges etc. They are clones to a Monaro as the VIN reflects it as a PONTIAC GTO.

I brought my car because I am a GTO fan and it carried the GTO namesake. Had the car said Monaro, I would not have purchased it. It would have been my loss though. I wanted a GTO. Split grille or not and despite the resemblance to another Pontiac, it is what it is with Pontiac's signature split grille TRADEMARK.
I see your point, but I guess I am just not that brand loyal. I wanted one of these cars before they were called GTO's. I used to look at the European magazines and wonder why they didn't sell them over here, so I fell in love with what the car was before it was a Pontiac.

I loved the old GTO's and had a close friend in high school that had a '69. We had many good times in that car, and I always wanted one, but I don't connect this car with the older ones as much.

I still want a '69:D

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I'm with Judge on this. I like the GTO as a Pontiac. When you start getting into turning it into a Monaro it's like the Ricers that turn 240SX's into Silvia's and the Infiniti G35 into a Skyline. It's just not what the car realy is.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm with Judge on this. I like the GTO as a Pontiac. When you start getting into turning it into a Monaro it's like the Ricers that turn 240SX's into Silvia's and the Infiniti G35 into a Skyline. It's just not what the car realy is.
What is really the difference? The grille and badges. Otherwise, it is a Monaro. Calling it a GTO was just a marketing decision. It's not like the car was built as one.

Man, I'm going to get flamed for that one:willy:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
What is really the difference? The grille and badges. Otherwise, it is a Monaro. Calling it a GTO was just a marketing decision. It's not like the car was built as one.

:mad::shutme :mad::shutme

:rofl:

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts

The VIN would be the difference.

When you are born you are what you are. You can have sex change but your birth certificate says you are either or. You can change out the car and do whatever you want to it, debadge it, rebadge it or do a complete sex change to it, it will forever read GTO. In the car market the name on the car states what it is. A namesake on a car will play a role in dictating it's worth. Is a mint GTO worth more than a mint Tempest? Is a GTO worth more than a clone?

The car was built for Pontiac as a GTO not a Monaro. For whatever reason, GM picked the Holden platform to base the GTO. It was built on the Holden platform. If you recall in 1964, 1965, 1972-74 GTO's were option packages off a Tempest, Lemans, and Ventura. Same car, but bigger engines, and with GTO badges. Basically the same car with a few tweaks to it making it a GTO.
Similar to the Monaro and GTO. Monaro, with a few tweaks now calling it a GTO.

The GTO was a homologization. The incorporation of many parts put into one to create one of it's own.

The Monaro and the GTO have different VIN's. Different badges, and different front's same platform. Very similar car nearly identical but different birth certificates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like the GTO front end, if I had to change anything about it... Id just change to the SAP GRILLS, which seems IMPOSSIBLE to find now. New to the scene with a 2006 PBM GTO with only 8400 one owner miles.............. Got tired of my 04 Mustang Mach 1.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts