Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Gto just had a new engine put in after it ran out of oil at 8000 miles. The dealer sent me this today..."The accepted rate of oil for engines used in the 2005 GTO is referenced is 0.946 liter(1qt) IN 3200KM (2000 miles)"

This would explain some of where my oil went. I did not check my oil. The dealer change it one month ago at 6700 miles before it blew. it also says.
"This rate only applies to personal use vehicles,under warranty, That are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintance schedule. Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds. Oil consumption for vechiles driven under these conditions will be more" It says that you must let the car sit at least 15 min before checking the oil and after putting oil in. Now I did this waited that is and my oil leavle did not go up even after 15 min. You have to start the car and let it run for a few and the check the oil again and it will be fine.
I have 2000 miles on my new motor and the car is down 1qt of oil today. I will keep checking it let you know... between the knock sensor and the oil I'm just not sure about the engine....

Anyone else with this oil problem I can't just be the only one?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Changed the oil/filter for the first time at about 3300 miles.....Level was still at the full mark with none having been added.

Now at about 4400 miles, it is at the full mark.

I don't abuse the Goat.....But I don't pet it either! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I check my oil every Saturday. I noticed that it does use oil at the advertised rate. I keep a spare bottle of Mobil 1 with me at all times. Glad to see it is normal. I thought something was wrong with my car.

·
Registered
214 Posts
FYI - Did my first change at 998 - no oil used and just did the second at 3350 and it was down about half a quart.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My '05 automatic when new used about 1 qt./2000 miles. Driving was "non-aggressive" except for a few full throttle romps thru two gear changes. Got a tad over 10,000 miles now and consumption has dropped to virtually zero. Guess the rings are slow to set in the LS2.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EEZ GOAT said:
did u have any mods done? if so they gave u hard time bout that. they will all ways blame on the mods first
Dealer ship was cool told me all the mods I could do, reprograhm did that, exhaust flowmaster,K&N air intake thats it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
gto500hp said:
Dealer ship was cool told me all the mods I could do, reprograhm did that, exhaust flowmaster,K&N air intake thats it.
my dealership was about the same, no headers, just intake and catback. i was hoping for more but, we'll see.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Cottonfarmer said:
My '05 automatic when new used about 1 qt./2000 miles. Driving was "non-aggressive" except for a few full throttle romps thru two gear changes. Got a tad over 10,000 miles now and consumption has dropped to virtually zero. Guess the rings are slow to set in the LS2.
Same with my 05 A4. Used 1 quart early and now (12,000miles) , even when I accept the urge to drive aggressively my LS2 doesn't burn oil. I run Mobil 1 and change it and filter every 4-5K. Seems crazy that they would talk about driving
"non-aggressively" in a GTO...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Completed my first oil change last week, with 992 miles, and the oil level was still at the full mark, FWIW. ... Now about the noisy drivetrain when it's cold, but that's another animal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EEZ GOAT said:
check my oil yesterday and found i was a qt low :willy: if it was not for u guys on the forum, i might have ran it dry b4 next oil change. now i have a back-up qt in the house
Thats good you don't want to go through the **** I did

B

·
0 Posts
thats the whole reason this forum exists, to help others out with what one person experiences.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine used 3/4 qt. in 1500miles, first oil change. I now have gone another 1300miles and used about 1/4 qt.. I like to do some full throttle accelerations and go through the gears at high rpm about 10% of the time. I think the rings are seating and oil comsumption was mostly break in for my car, time will tell.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Historically, synthetic oils were never good to use while the engine is breaking in, so I would expect to see higher consumption complaints (within reason). Mobil 1 used to recommend not being added to engines until after 3000 miles were on the engine. So, it would be interesting to see if engines with the consumption complaints saw a reduction after 3000 or so miles.

B

·
0 Posts
Ya know, I usually put synthetic in after 10k miles, then again none of my vehicles have ever burned any oil.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts