Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you went to the dealership on that great day that you bought your goat, and the goats had all suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth, and you couldn't order one (nor could you find a used one)...what would you be driving today?
I won't give my answer until later in the thread, I don't want to sway the results in any way.
This is something that I've thought about (and have discussions with others about) and have come to a basic conclusion on what I think some of the answers may be.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
-Scott

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SDSU_GTO said:
can i have a corvette? if not, i guess an EVO would be a lot of fun to drive.
hehe, you can have whatever you want as long as it was a viable alternative to the goat...meaning it must have been within your budget that you intended to spend when you went to buy a car. I looked at several other cars besides the GTO, any one of them could have been the vehicle I purchased.
That doesn't mean that it must cost the same or less than the GTO. If you didn't really have a budget that you were intending to stick to, then I suppose you could have bought a Maybach, or the McLaren F1...that all depends on YOU.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. :)
The Evo was one that I thought people might say, it's not too far off from the GTO performance-wise.
That wasn't one of the cars I personally considered though, mainly due to the fact that it is considered a "foreign" car, and most of the people I know and play poker with are american auto workers, so I'd have taken a LOT of flack over it. (yes, I know the GTO is "foreign" too everyone...but it still has a pontiac badge on it and it's sold at an american dealership hehe).
WRX is another one that fit into the same category, I figured people would consider that against the GTO. Thanks for your reply. :)

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I was headed for a Volvo S60R. I didn't even know the GTO existed until I brought my Denali in for service and found the GTO on the showroom floor.

Here is the list of cars I actually looked at. 4 seats are a requirement.
Subaru Legacy - Too small for me
Subaru WRX si - Way too small & ridiculous looking
Honda Accord V6 Hybrid - A nice safe car
Chrysler 300C - Nice V8 sedan but poor interior quality
Mustang GT - Really poor interior quality & no back seat
BMW 330xi - Nice but pricey and small
Cadillac CTS-V - $50K for a Caddy with a so so interior
Volvo S60R - Much more expensive than GTO but I like Volvos

Car's I can't consider because I live in the outback of America.
Infiniti G35
Infiniti Coupe
Audi A6

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, you really put a lot of time/effort/thought into your car purchase!! Some of these cars I didn't even think about when I wrote the question.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I traded my 98 Vette in on the GTO. If I had the money, a 2005 C6 Corvette. Otherwise I tried to get a Solstice, but my dealer said it would be six months before he could get me one. I said, I'll take the GTO, its faster anyway.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do like the solstice, especially that new racer version, that's cool. With a turbocharged ecotec, it'll also be mighty fast.
I'd probably have a Mustang GT in the driveway right now if I hadn't gotten the goat. Thank goodness the goat was available and hadn't disappeared from the face of the earth when I went to the dealership!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I was shopping for a car i knew i was tired of a 4cyl and I wanted at least a V6 if i could get a V8 for the right price then that would be all the better.
I considered the following cars:
V6 Category
G35 Coupe
G6 GTP Coupe
Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
Acura TL TypeS

V8 Category
Mustang GT
Lincoln LS

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I vowed I would never buy another V6 car that wasn't turbocharged or supercharged...they just don't have enough power. Even with a turbo/supercharger, they still usually lack low-end torque...which is a HUGE turn-on for me. Plus, front wheel drive is really no fun, and it seems like there are a LOT of fwd cars out there. So RWD was essential. I also vowed that I would never own another car/truck that wasn't supercharged when I put the supercharger on my last vehicle, but the GTO was so dang much fun to drive I had to go back on that vow. However, the GTO will be supercharged as soon as I get some vital engine building done. :party:

·
Registered
182 Posts
baron_iv said:
I vowed I would never buy another V6 car that wasn't turbocharged or supercharged...they just don't have enough power. Even with a turbo/supercharger, they still usually lack low-end torque...which is a HUGE turn-on for me. Plus, front wheel drive is really no fun, and it seems like there are a LOT of fwd cars out there. So RWD was essential. I also vowed that I would never own another car/truck that wasn't supercharged when I put the supercharger on my last vehicle, but the GTO was so dang much fun to drive I had to go back on that vow. However, the GTO will be supercharged as soon as I get some vital engine building done. :party:
See I had a 4cyl that was turbocharged.. it was fun but a PITA for maintenance when the modding began. I knew after going from a V6 300M to a 4cyl Protege,
then a V6 3000GT, finally back to a 4cyl Galant. I needed a V6 with over 250hp.
I never had a rwd until the GTO so I didn't know what i was missing until now.:D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Did the test drives BMW Z4 3.0 and was just waiting for the BMW Z4 M model to come out (Jun,Jul 06). If I didn't meet the Goat I would still be waiting. Did keep the Z3 because I gotta have a ragtop.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We were driving a 2000 supercharged Grand Prix GTP and loved the car, we decided to finally go drive the GTO, but we knew that would be the end and it was.

But if we had not gotten the GTO it would have been a 2003 supercharged Grand Prix GTP with low miles. Neither my husband or I like the looks of the new GTP's.

We love Pontiacs, we did however drive a Cobalt, but were not overly impressed.

And Baron_iv from your earlier post to my topic, I drive a school bus for a living. :eek: :D

Monica

1 - 20 of 88 Posts