Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my last set of points and have not bought any in years. I assume most are made in China or overseas somewhere. Can anyone recommend a brand worth buying? Thanks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Genuine Delco on Ebay, Ranging from $10 to $100. Most are between $10-25. I just bought a set for $7.50.
Delco-Remy D-106PS.

There are also BlueStreak points from Standard available..

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
x2

also the D1000 comes with the condenser,,, very important to have a quality condenser too

buy 2 sets 1 for the glove box

delco remy 1852129 D 1000

Scott

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good information. Based on my experience with old capacitors (condensers), I like the idea of finding a set of original points, but I would go with a good new condenser like Blue Streak. Capacitors have a finite life, and I'd be suspicious of one that is more than 10-20 years old. The first thing I always do with an old jukebox is replace all the caps, or you risk frying a transformer (my other expensive hobby).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been seeing reports of condensers being bad out of the box. Save the old condenser! You may need to go back to it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know this isn't the "accepted method" by at least 99% of mechanics but it worked well for me....

I used to do quite a few side jobs on cars (not a mechanic by trade but got certified by the state anyway) and had the philosophy that if the points were wearing evenly on both sides then I would NOT change the condenser because it was obviously just the right value for that car. I never heard of any customers having a failed condenser and many of my customers were regulars. I know one of my own condensers was used on at least 3 sets of points. When you buy a new condenser its actual capacitance can fall within a range of a values. If it's just the right value then the wear will be about the same on both sides of the points - keep it. If there's a big buildup on one side, change the condenser and hope that the capacitance on the new one is closer to the ideal for that engine.

The only guy I ever talked to that confirmed regular failures of condensers was the owner of a Ford Model T (A?) and those had the problem that the condenser was very close to the exhaust which meant they were killed by the heat.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know this isn't the "accepted method" by at least 99% of mechanics but it worked well for me....

I used to do quite a few side jobs on cars (not a mechanic by trade but got certified by the state anyway) and had the philosophy that if the points were wearing evenly on both sides then I would NOT change the condenser because it was obviously just the right value for that car. I never heard of any customers having a failed condenser and many of my customers were regulars. I know one of my own condensers was used on at least 3 sets of points. When you buy a new condenser its actual capacitance can fall within a range of a values. If it's just the right value then the wear will be about the same on both sides of the points - keep it. If there's a big buildup on one side, change the condenser and hope that the capacitance on the new one is closer to the ideal for that engine.

The only guy I ever talked to that confirmed regular failures of condensers was the owner of a Ford Model T (A?) and those had the problem that the condenser was very close to the exhaust which meant they were killed by the heat.
This I find this interesting as when I ran points in the 80s I was taught to always change the condenser with the points. Accept for one time when I got a bad new condenser, they always ran acceptable. I noticed in the old Pontiac manual, it says not to change the condenser.

“Under normal operating conditions, the condenser should not require periodic replacement. Do not change condenser when changing points unless there is evidence of failure, such as arcing and severe pitting in points.” Page 6E-26 Pontiac Service Manual.

Makes me think that you were on to something there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't recall ever looking at the service manual and since I don't have one I decided to check the Chassis Shop Manual instead. Sure enough, on page 11-36 it says, "Under most normal operating conditions, the condenser will provide many thousands of miles of service. Before installing a new condenser the existing condenser should be checked to determine if it is still serviceable." It then lists 3 checks on a condenser tester - and I'm sure we all have one.;) It also shows a photo of "Allowable Contact Material Transfer":

1 - 9 of 9 Posts