Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello in the middle of my first full resto on a 1966 gto have the car torn down and everything is in rough shape car was sitting for like 17 years anyway ,everything has been easy up to the dash panel having trouble removing the ignition and the cigar lighter been searching all over the web with no luck seems it would be an easer job just don't want to break anything any help would be great , I have a restoration guild has a breakdown but haven't found anything on how to remove it THANKS

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
The bezel on the front of the ignition switch should un-screw allowing you to remove the switch from under the dash, If I remember the cigar lighter is held in place by a screw on sleeve from under the dash, It's been a few years since I restored my 66.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ,tried that it seem to get loose but stopped it wont turn anymore and the cigar doesn't have a screw on it there is just a little nut at the end where the wire would plug in ,tried holding the bezel and turning the back of it and it just turns an doesn't loosen up at all,ill give it another try tomorrow thanks again for your help .

·
Registered
714 Posts
The ignition bezel cannot be removed until the tumbler assembly is removed. To do this, you need the key and a paper clip. With the key in the "accessory" position, insert the paper clip. there is a release down in that hole which must be depressed. when you depress it, turn the key and the tumbler should come out.

As for the lighter, the housing behind the dash threads around the part that's inserted through the dash. You need to hold the front and turn the entire housing. If you can find and look at a replacement lighter assembly, you will see how it works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all your help I got it for some reason the two holes were not lining up but I got it and I figured out the cigar two thanks again , now for the next project

1 - 5 of 5 Posts