Pontiac GTO Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Premium Member
2,958 Posts
The VIN only specifies a V8 or six. The PHS will tell if it's a Sprint OHC or not.
PHS needs the complete VIN to search their database for your car as it was equipped from the factory. Any dealer add ons will not be shown.

· Premium Member
2,958 Posts
But...
Looking at your Fisher Body plate I noticed you have a 2B option code at the bottom. Thats for a Dearborn heavy duty 3 speed manual transmission which supposedly was only available on V-8s.
And IIRC the OHC 4 bbl was available without the Sprint option in 1967 only and the 4 speed was optional for that engine.

🧐

I'm not an expert with the early cars so take all that with a grain of salt. Just going by the '67 Saleman's Accessorizer booklet.

GTO Junior may have more input on what I wrote.

· Premium Member
2,958 Posts
W - Tinted Windshield
2B - Dearborn 3 Speed Manual Floor Shift Transmission
4H - ???

F-2 Tyrol Blue with Black Top

666 - Internal Fisher Body Sequence number

ACCESSORY CODES 1964-67

These codes are on the bottom of the trim. data tag found on the fire wall.
They primarily identify equipment or options installed.
Some codes only ID option and not specific equipment.
These codes are made up of a number (Excl #1) and are followed by one or more letters.
The number in front identifies group. Groups are 2, 3, 4 & 5.

This five group code system ONLY applies to the following FISHER Body assembly plants;
FRA, (Framingham, MA) KAN, (Kansas City, MO) & PON, (Pontiac, MI)
The BF, (Fremont, CA) used a UPC code system and the BAL, (Baltimore, MD) plant used no codes at all

Group 1:

D = Power convertible top (If not standard)
E = Soft ray tinted glass (All windows)
O = Two tone paint (w/ use of vinyl top trim)
O = Mirror Group (1965)
T = Power front seat (Bench or L.H. Bucket)
W = Soft ray tinted glass (Windshield only)
Y = Power windows

Group 2:

A= Foam bench seat cushion (Exc. GTO)
B = 3 speed manual transmission (Floor shift)
E = Air conditioning (Different ducting)
G = Console
H = Heater delete
K = Air conditioning
L = 4 speed manual transmission
N = Automatic (1964)
P = Back up lamps. (Listed incorrectly in many publication as Radio, 1964-65)
R = Rear seat speaker
S = Rear mounted manual antenna
T = Rear mounted power antenna
U = 8-Track (1967)
V = Verbra-phonic rear speaker
W = 2 speed automatic transmission
Y = Padded dash (1965)
Z = 3SPD M40 AUTOMATIC (1967)

Group 3:

B = Rear window defogger
C = Padded dash (1964-KC cars)?
K = Dome courtesy lamp
N = Roof rail reading lamps

Group 4:

F = Outside remote mirror
G = Décor Group (Tempest & Tempest Custom only 1964-1965 KC cars)
H =
Q = Full size spare tire (1967)?

Group 5:

B = Luggage lamp (Kansas City plant only)
J = Under hood lamp
M = Rear center seat belt (Framingham plant only)
N = GTO trim upgrade/option (1965-KC cars)
O = Seat Belt Delete (1965)?
P = Luggage lamp (Framingham and Pontiac plants only)
W = Custom retractable front seat belts
Y = Deluxe front seat belts
Y = Custom seat belts (1965)?
Z = Shoulder belts (Front seats)
Z = Seat belt delete (1964 -Pontiac Plant)

· Registered
1,819 Posts
Saginaw 3-Speed was standard, I think it was coded on the Trim Tag due to being a Floor Shift.
I hope it still has the funky Bench Seat Shifter Handle(y)
As far as Group 4 Code H I have never been able to find any info on this??

What a looker it must have been when NEW:cool:
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Kit car

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Saginaw 3-Speed was standard, I think it was coded on the Trim Tag due to being a Floor Shift.

View attachment 160990
View attachment 160992
Thank you. I think it's a looker now:cool:
So does the 3 on the floor, bucket seats, and 4bbl qualify it as a "Sprint"? I kinda like the red better.

View attachment 160990
View attachment 160992

Attachments

· Registered
1970 Pontiac
282 Posts
I am getting a 1967 LeMans project car. My first reaction was to clone it as a GTO. The LM has the OHC IL6 with a 4bbl, and the more I read on it, the more I'm tempted to stay with the IL6. The LM also has a factory 4 speed and I was wondering if I did clone it, can I use this 4sp with a trimotor V8?
Out of curiousity, I'm wondering if many members have cloned their LM's or Tempest into GTO's...I'm a new member by the way.
Bob
Is the car an automatic or 3 sp manual right now ? If automatic and you are wanting to put a 4 sp in.......I have bellhousing here for a 6 cyl. Just letting you know. 👍

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Is the car an automatic or 3 sp manual right now ? If automatic and you are wanting to put a 4 sp in.......I have bellhousing here for a 6 cyl. Just letting you know. 👍
I'm not sure yet but I believe it's a 3sp. I'm OK with that, but if it does have the 3.55 R/E I'll research an overdrive. Don't know if one was available.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Looking through all my lit, and it looks like the floor shift was part of the package. (y)

View attachment 161050
I have a spare 3 speed manual with overdrive that I have been saving in case the one I'm using in my '56 Chevy with a 327 craps out. It is very durable and I love it. Can this transmission be adapted pretty straight forward to the LeMans? It would need a pull cable to switch between 3 sp to 3sp with overdrive..

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
My '67 Lemans OHC 6 has a 4bbl dual exhaust, front sway bar, but no positraction or power anything or disc brakes. Could it still be a Sprint without the "Posi" or other stuff?
Was this car available with a center console with the 3sp?

· Registered
7,355 Posts
My '67 Lemans OHC 6 has a 4bbl dual exhaust, front sway bar, but no positraction or power anything or disc brakes. Could it still be a Sprint without the "Posi" or other stuff?
Was this car available with a center console with the 3sp?
Like the GTO, the Sprint would have what would be a "standard package" that included those parts that were of the GTO or Sprint option. After the base package, the rest were add-on options that were either built on the car at the factory and sent to a dealer to be used as dealer inventory, ordered specifically by a dealer, or options hand picked and ordered by a purchasing client who wanted specifics on his/her car as built - which usually could mean a longer lead time and it did not necessarily mean the option was available depending on when in the year the car was ordered. Dealers, like today, could search around at other dealer inventories and might find a car on their lot that was what you were looking for or close to what you were looking for.

Very few cars had posi - it was an option. Very few cars had disc brakes - it was an option. Each option had a cost added to the base price and adding options brought the prices up. You also have to consider that everything is proportionate - car prices were no more cheaper than today because of the nature of inflation. So looking back and saying, oh wow the RA IV option was only "X" dollars more, how cheap that was - not really. And then your insurance rates went really high just like today when you ordered a GTO or any other "super car" and it went up even more depending on the engine. If you think an LS7 Corvette or HellCat is unaffordable, there will come a time in the future when people will be saying, oh wow, how cheap those cars were back then, I would have bought 2 or three of them.

Selling tri-power set-ups for $35.00 - $50.00 WAS a good selling price as were $50.00 Muncie 4-speeds and $10.00 hood tachs. A posi rear end, IF you had one, was a little harder to find and could get you $75-100. A Dana 60 posi 3.54 gears out of a Road Runner was $125.00, and 409 dual quad engines were $150.00. But, that was big money when you were only making $4.25 and hour.

The PHS documents WILL point out the optional equipment installed on the car, as well as provide what the Sprint option included if it is a true Sprint car and not the 4 Bbl OHC -6 option on the car.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Like the GTO, the Sprint would have what would be a "standard package" that included those parts that were of the GTO or Sprint option. After the base package, the rest were add-on options that were either built on the car at the factory and sent to a dealer to be used as dealer inventory, ordered specifically by a dealer, or options hand picked and ordered by a purchasing client who wanted specifics on his/her car as built - which usually could mean a longer lead time and it did not necessarily mean the option was available depending on when in the year the car was ordered. Dealers, like today, could search around at other dealer inventories and might find a car on their lot that was what you were looking for or close to what you were looking for.

Very few cars had posi - it was an option. Very few cars had disc brakes - it was an option. Each option had a cost added to the base price and adding options brought the prices up. You also have to consider that everything is proportionate - car prices were no more cheaper than today because of the nature of inflation. So looking back and saying, oh wow the RA IV option was only "X" dollars more, how cheap that was - not really. And then your insurance rates went really high just like today when you ordered a GTO or any other "super car" and it went up even more depending on the engine. If you think an LS7 Corvette or HellCat is unaffordable, there will come a time in the future when people will be saying, oh wow, how cheap those cars were back then, I would have bought 2 or three of them.

Selling tri-power set-ups for $35.00 - $50.00 WAS a good selling price as were $50.00 Muncie 4-speeds and $10.00 hood tachs. A posi rear end, IF you had one, was a little harder to find and could get you $75-100. A Dana 60 posi 3.54 gears out of a Road Runner was $125.00, and 409 dual quad engines were $150.00. But, that was big money when you were only making $4.25 and hour.

The PHS documents WILL point out the optional equipment installed on the car, as well as provide what the Sprint option included if it is a true Sprint car and not the 4 Bbl OHC -6 option on the car.
Great info thanks, and you were pretty accurate on prices. My first "new" car was a 1969 BMW 2002. First year for the 2 liter on the old 1600 body. It was $3,600 but I added black "rally" stripes on the hood, and Abarth exhaust which made it $3,600 out the door. VW's were selling for $1,800. I was earning $4.50 an hour but working up to 72 hours a week. That same year I bought my first house in Silicon Valley for $23,000. Down payment was $1,600 on an FHA loan.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The car is now registered in my name, and it has been moved to the shop for some cleaning and get the engine running. The engine isn't turning but we think its the valve train that may be frozen. We're soaking each one of the cylinders with some Marvel Mystery Oil. Tomorrow we'll remove the carburetor and pour some of the oil into to the head, and let it soak for a few days. I've ordered the radiator, gasket kit, 180 thermostat, tune up kit with plug wires, coil, oil pressure switch, and lotsa luck. I also plan to buy a set of Billet hinges for the hood, the ones on there now are in bad shape.
Bob

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

21 - 40 of 51 Posts