Pontiac GTO Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Registered
1,819 Posts
Do yourself a favor and don't attempt to start it until you lift the Cam Housing off and make sure the top end is in good order.
You may get lucky and find no wiped Cam Lobes and it will also give you an idea of the overall internal condition.
If you do find the Cam is wiped then you not wasting time attempting to get it running, you go right into rebuild mode.

As far as Belts there are a few offerings on EPAY that would work but I can't speak to longevity on them.
Reach out to Rob from the Cammer Forum he owns and operates Woodland Motorsports which is for OHC parts.

Cheers!

Link to his FB page;

· Registered
1,149 Posts
Great info thanks, and you were pretty accurate on prices. My first "new" car was a 1969 BMW 2002. First year for the 2 liter on the old 1600 body. It was $3,600 but I added black "rally" stripes on the hood, and Abarth exhaust which made it $3,600 out the door. VW's were selling for $1,800. I was earning $4.50 an hour but working up to 72 hours a week. That same year I bought my first house in Silicon Valley for $23,000. Down payment was $1,600 on an FHA loan.

View attachment 161242
LOVE the "rally" stripes AND the bell bottoms...heck yeah!

· Registered
1,149 Posts
The car is now registered in my name, and it has been moved to the shop for some cleaning and get the engine running. The engine isn't turning but we think its the valve train that may be frozen. We're soaking each one of the cylinders with some Marvel Mystery Oil. Tomorrow we'll remove the carburetor and pour some of the oil into to the head, and let it soak for a few days. I've ordered the radiator, gasket kit, 180 thermostat, tune up kit with plug wires, coil, oil pressure switch, and lotsa luck. I also plan to buy a set of Billet hinges for the hood, the ones on there now are in bad shape.
Bob

View attachment 161243 View attachment 161244
I'm not knocking billet hinges, but if you want to go original...contact Willie Wilson! He rebuilds original hinges and is the authority on the matter. They are pricey compared to the re-pops, but have none of the headaches associated with them. Don't get rid of your originals...they will save you some money to turn in as cores, should you do business with Willie. I had 3 hinges, all were wore out and 2 were questionable with respect to all the parts being reusable. Willie worked with me on the core values and I walked away with a beautiful pair for $350, plus shipping (back in '21).

· Registered
1,819 Posts
That Sir is indeed a 1967 Pontiac Lemans with Sprint option. (y)
If the line on those PHS sheets for STRIPE DELETE (Yes you could go without them) is not outlined then she would have had the Body Side Stripes as part of the package.

Deluxe Wheel Covers were very popular in the day, and you rarely see them anymore.

Tire Wheel Product Automotive tire Tread

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
As I mentioned on the Cammer page the Power top was Standard on LeMANS.
Optional on Tempest & Tempest Custom.
The LeMANS shared all trim levels with Big Brother GTO except Engine options.
Thanks for that info on the power top. The pistons look OK but I'd have to put 12 volts to the motor to see if it works. The lines are broken off. Replacement parts are available, but not looking forward to replacing pistons.
Gas Auto part Natural material Concrete Metal

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Do yourself a favor and don't attempt to start it until you lift the Cam Housing off and make sure the top end is in good order.
You may get lucky and find no wiped Cam Lobes and it will also give you an idea of the overall internal condition.
If you do find the Cam is wiped then you not wasting time attempting to get it running, you go right into rebuild mode.

As far as Belts there are a few offerings on EPAY that would work but I can't speak to longevity on them.
Reach out to Rob from the Cammer Forum he owns and operates Woodland Motorsports which is for OHC parts.

Cheers!

Link to his FB page;
Took the valve cover off. I didn't realize the cam was a part of the cover. With just an eyeball check, the lobes look in good shape, but we still can't get the engine to spin, so my mechanic is taking it iout and removing the head. I don't want to bend any lifters or score the cylinders. While the mechanic is working on the engine we'll be working on the interior. The seats look too far gone, especially the rear back rest. I'd like to find a donor for the seats, it would save me a lot of time and money just to get the car back on the road.
I also have the '67 Skylark I could use as a donor. It has PS and AC. I am cleaning it up today. I think it would be a great project car and it looks great when done.

Gas Cylinder Machine Metal Revolver
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread Wood
Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

41 - 51 of 51 Posts