Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After hearing and reading so many positive things about the GTO, I had to test drive one yesterday.
What a let-down.
It could have been my neighbor's new Solara with a strong motor.
Where is that character I was expecting?
You can't see the hood, so there is no visual feed-back from that.
The funny hump in the rear blocks 15% of the view out the back.
The interior is SO generic.
Yeah, it's a great stealth car, but it's even stealthy to the driver. :mad:

Maybe my expectations were unrealistic, coming from the time when I rode around in buddy's new '65 and '66 GTO's. But I know that new cars CAN have pizzaz.....it's just that the GTO lacks it.
Might make a good high-speed, long-distance tourer for two and a little luggage? [It is a GT(O), after all!] Even then, the tiny trunk would just about take a medium duffle bag, so you have to use the rear seat for storage.
Sadly, a muscle car it is not.

Oh, well, one more legend vaporizes. (for me anyway)
I won't be looking at 2004 GTOs with lust in my heart any more.

Larry
:cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Larry,

I couldn't disagree with you more, but of couse that's what forums are for anyways.

Despite the fact I think you're taste in auto's is crazy, I have an old Corvette stingray, and am an avid fan of older cars. These new Goats would blow the doors off your buddy's old GTO, and I think they are the perfect blend of power and elegance. Just about every automobile magazine agrees with me too. And I think the interior is the absolute BEST attribute to this car, and it's the reason I bought one. If you want nice views out the windows and trunk space, go buy your damn Solara. Just don't get pissed when I blow by you doing 150. :D

Funny how you actually joined this forum to complain, not even owning a Goat.

P.S. I'll be happy to dump 5 grand on you at the drag strip too :cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
code5coupe said:
After hearing and reading so many positive things about the GTO, I had to test drive one yesterday.
What a let-down.
It could have been my neighbor's new Solara with a strong motor.
Where is that character I was expecting?
You can't see the hood, so there is no visual feed-back from that.
The funny hump in the rear blocks 15% of the view out the back.
The interior is SO generic.
Yeah, it's a great stealth car, but it's even stealthy to the driver. :mad:

Maybe my expectations were unrealistic, coming from the time when I rode around in buddy's new '65 and '66 GTO's. But I know that new cars CAN have pizzaz.....it's just that the GTO lacks it.
Might make a good high-speed, long-distance tourer for two and a little luggage? [It is a GT(O), after all!] Even then, the tiny trunk would just about take a medium duffle bag, so you have to use the rear seat for storage.
Sadly, a muscle car it is not.

Oh, well, one more legend vaporizes. (for me anyway)
I won't be looking at 2004 GTOs with lust in my heart any more.

Larry
:cheers
Theres always one: trunk space Larry comeon its a muscle car if u want trunks pace then buy a damn toyota! Then u want to compare it to a 65 or 66 GTO what did you think the 2004-2005 GTO was gonna be the same. Technology has changed just a wee bit in almost 40 yrs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Hey Larry, I can partially agree with you... But in the same sense, I can't.

The discounts on this car right now are absolutely amazing. You can't ask for a better car for the price, it DOES NOT EXIST.

If you want character from the car, buy it the cheapest you can. Keep in mind that the retail on the car is around $34,000 (I've seen some advertised for I believe $25,000). With the left over $9,000, install a supercharger, intake/headers/exhaust, get it tuned, and put a hood on it that "doesn't lack character".

There are many things that you can be critical of about the car, but like I said before, it's very hard to find a car this good for this price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Hi All! Its ok that that Larry does not like the car, thats his opinion. However to join this site inorder to crap on the car is wrong. The GTO isnt perfect but by the public response since I have had one, it sure seems that way!
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whiteshadow said:
There are many things that you can be critical of about the car, but like I said before, it's very hard to find a car this good for this price.
I couldn't agree more.
I'm not saying it's not a good car, I'm saying it isn't what I had hoped for (after all the hype).

Other than Whiteshadow, all the replyers are so defensive! What, you think only those who agree with your position have validity?? That's not how the real world works, kiddies.
Wow, someone voices a different opinion and suddenly the name-calling begins. I sense some insecurity here.....
Regardless, I wish you all the best and assure you that I'll look at the '05 version when it comes out (in seven months???!!)....maybe GM will put some 'raw edges' on it for guys like me.
Peace.
Larry
:cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
code5coupe said:
I couldn't agree more.
I'm not saying it's not a good car, I'm saying it isn't what I had hoped for (after all the hype).

Other than Whiteshadow, all the replyers are so defensive! What, you think only those who agree with your position have validity?? That's not how the real world works, kiddies.
Wow, someone voices a different opinion and suddenly the name-calling begins. I sense some insecurity here.....
Regardless, I wish you all the best and assure you that I'll look at the '05 version when it comes out (in seven months???!!)....maybe GM will put some 'raw edges' on it for guys like me.
Peace.
Larry
:cheers
So Larry u leaving and not coming back rite! If u want an old school GTO then stop bitchin and fork over the cash! Until then GO AWAY!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
code5coupe said:
I couldn't agree more.
I'm not saying it's not a good car, I'm saying it isn't what I had hoped for (after all the hype).

Other than Whiteshadow, all the replyers are so defensive! What, you think only those who agree with your position have validity?? That's not how the real world works, kiddies.
Wow, someone voices a different opinion and suddenly the name-calling begins. I sense some insecurity here.....
Regardless, I wish you all the best and assure you that I'll look at the '05 version when it comes out (in seven months???!!)....maybe GM will put some 'raw edges' on it for guys like me.
Peace.
Larry
:cheers
Oh, please. :rolleyes: Spare us the histrionics.

Let's get this straight. You test drive a certain car. You essentially hate it. So, instead of moving along to find a vehicle you do like, you take the time to register in a forum for owners / fans of said car. Having done this, you commence to yank down your panties, squat on down, and pee on our floor with a whiney thread about how little you like the GTO.

Then, when a few of us come after you with rolled-up newspapers, you snivel about what a bunch of intolerant brutes we are.

There is a thin line between constructive criticism and blatant trolling. Your post was nothing but an attempt to play a drama queen.

You do seem to be a funny little troll, though. Dance for us!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Looking over Larry's origional post, one thing strikes me funny. He is talking about the GTO missing the mark as a muscle car. If I remember correctly from way back when, "pizzaz" was not what the muscle car in the late 60's early 70's was about. Heck, most of the true performers came from the factory with gutted interiors, no radio, no heater, and vinyl seats.

Everything that Larry dislikes about the new GTO is exactly why I love it so much. It is the first performance car in the last 20 years that has the right combination to be considered a true muscle car......unassuming styling, and huge power.

DP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
You know, I wasn't really being defensive while agreeing with Groucho. I agree also that it makes no sense to take the time to register on a site just to dump on whatever said site is promoting. That'd be like me registering on a Mustang site just to tell them what a piece of crap the car is. That being said, what I DO take offense at, is someone inferring that I don't know what real life is. I figure this isn't the place to answer that and it really doesn't deserve any recognition to begin with, but I'm gonna anyway. How DARE someone presume to know me and try to tell me I don't know real life just because I'm defending something I'm so excited about. I've been a paramedic in a major metropolitan city (popul close to 1 million) for 14 years. Don't you even begin to tell me I don't know what real life is. Until you've seen a wall literally come to life and move cuz it was covered with **** roaches; or pronounced an 18 month old dead after his mama beat him; or held a crying mother in your arms after her 13 year old daughter blew her own brains out; or held in your own gagging puke while looking down at a blood spattered roadway with what used to be a human being lying there literally turned inside out after wrecking his crotch rocket; after you've been shot at, stabbed at, punched, kicked, spit on, puked on and **** on... then come back and tell me I don't know **** about real life. Kiss my ass whine baby and in your own words... CYA

Fellow GTO lovers and forum members... forgive me for my outburst. I'll put my claws away and get off the soapbox now. ;) Thanks for letting me vent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Larry,
I don't understand you at all, but you have a right to your opinion. I spent 21 years in the military to assure that right. Looks like I may be having my GTO in storage in the near future to return to Iraq. Your opinion is valid, for you. I just want to know if you took the car on some really curvy back roads and let go. The car handles like a dream totally stock. With a little work it will corner with anything out there. Yeah the car needs to go on a diet, but rear wheel drive, totally independent rear suspension and that LS1 power make this an awesome car. I guess you wouldn't have liked my 1970 Buick Grand Sport either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
You know, I absolutly love being an American! I really do. I have the right to go out and spend $30k on a car that really does not get the best mpg but runs like a raped ape. I love the fact that twits like the one who started this thread can freely bitch and moan about a car they do not even own. I love the fact that we can fire right back that he is a weenie and might even have sand where it does not belong.

So for all you who want to string this "gentlemen up" should instead realize that there is no law against being a pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
hm3to1stlt said:
You know, I absolutly love being an American! I really do. I have the right to go out and spend $30k on a car that really does not get the best mpg but runs like a raped ape. I love the fact that twits like the one who started this thread can freely bitch and moan about a car they do not even own. I love the fact that we can fire right back that he is a weenie and might even have sand where it does not belong.

So for all you who want to string this "gentlemen up" should instead realize that there is no law against being a pain.
Indeed. :cool

And for the record, I don't want him to be strung up...it's much easier to bitchslap him right where here is.
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top