Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Images of the car can be found here:

GTO - Imgur

Hardly any rust. Original 400 automatic engine although the carburetor has been replaced. The trunk pan will need to be replaced as it has rusted (I've heard this is common with older GM vehicles). Original seats are in great condition and the car run/sounds great.

The owner is asking 18k for it and I am thinking about making an offer for 12.5 and seeing if we can meet in the middle. Would this be a fair deal?

Thanks if advance for any advice, I've been lurking around this forum for a little bit and would like to thank all the contributors here for the great information.

·
Registered
714 Posts
First, I wouldn't agree with "Hardly any rust" and then, "the trunk pan needs to be replaced". Sounds like significant rust to me. The thing with rust is, what you see generally equals half or less of what is really there. I'd proceed with extreme caution, if I were you.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
What these gents said. IF no more rust, 12.5k car at the max. It needs a lot of TLC, and it needs door panels and paint. $$$$. Rukee is dead on: rusted out trunks are generally caused by the rear window rusting out first.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Yeah, I'd have to agree that 18K seems a bit much for a car that appears to need a full resto. Wrong wheels (Oldsmobile), no A/C belt, parts store cheesy hose coverings, aluminum intake, and I agree wholeheartedly with the rust analysis, what you see is only the tip of the iceberg with rust. I'd move on and find a better candidate for that money.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I will concur with the sentiment with the rusted trunk. Your highly likely to find significant amounts of rust around the rear window, inner rear wheel wells, full trunk floor and the filler pan between the trunk and the rear windshield. My LeMans looked very nice until I pulled out the glass, and oh boy, what fun....You better be able to have access to a welder and some shop tools and know how to fabricate, or have deep pockets to pay someone that can.

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Agree with everything that's been said so far. Plus, notice how there are no photos of the rear of the car or the trunk? That would concern me.

Bear

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
When I built my 67 GTO...I put all new floors in it....check the panel between the 2 roof 'wings', below the rear window..it is actually TWO panels with a space between them....also check the doors, front fenders, and quarter panels...RUST can be a major issue below the lower trim moldings....Rust is worse than DENTS....just sayin'....

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts