Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any ideas other than installing racing bucket seats in my 72 lemans gto clone. Im 6'5" and although i can drive it i would much rather find a way to lower the seats to give me at least two or three inches.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
a lotta guys are swapping the seats from 04' - 06' GTO's into the classics. I think they actually sit a little taller though. you could take a measurement from floor to seat cushion (while your sitting on it). and check the scrap yard for some nice buckets that will have a lower profile, either way you will need to fabricate the mounts (not too hard). welcome to the forum:cheers

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Send a PM to ppurfield....he is at least 6'5". he had some '04 buckets put in his 67 and is very happy with it.......eric:cheers

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
i'm 6'2 and with the La-z-boy 65' seats , i can barely see over the hood....lol, my 69' firebird had the tall back buckets though and another 3" taller and it would have been a tight squeeze. i like the look of some of the newer factory seats mated to the classics though.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Looking for any ideas other than installing racing bucket seats in my 72 lemans gto clone. Im 6'5" and although i can drive it i would much rather find a way to lower the seats to give me at least two or three inches.

Hello from a fellow "vertically challenged" guy. I'm 6'9" and the front bench seat in my 1967 GTO was not easy to get in, sit in or get out. Sooooo, I bought a set of 2005 GTO front bucket seats on e-bay (around $1,000), had my guy build a platform for them and he did the welding, etc. Very comfortable, the same color (black) and they each say "GTO" on them. I'm a resto mod guy and like these power seats with lumbar support. The best thing -- I had the seats moved back far enough so that I actually have to move them forward a little to reach the pedals. First time in my life with those physics in a car and a good laugh. Good luck with your efforts.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I'm exactly one foot shorter than ppurfield, and these cars fit me so well that I don't even want or need a tilt column...I can drive all day without getting a backache. that's the trade-off for needing a stepladder in the kitchen!! Funny thing is, even at my height, the seats in the GTO(s) need to be adjusted almost all the way back, and the headroom isn't great. I think the "average" driver was about my size 45 years ago. I can't imagine being a big strapper and trying to get in and out of these cars.....heck, I have problems getting in and out of the late model Firebirds/Camaros! I barely fit in my '15 Ford, I feel like a giant. Folks 100 years ago were enven smaller..... 6'9" in a GTO? WOW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts