Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
It’s really a shame because the have some cool looking rear drive models. Cops and Taxi would love that Caprice. I like the Elcamino type cars and Utes. I think the new Impala looks like a Holden. Holden says thy can build the same car rear drive front drive or all drive that’s cool.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The regulations have tightened up to the point where you simply can not bring in an intact car unless it's something like 15-20 years old. Same goes for Canada -- which is why can not they cross the border, buy a GTO, then go back home. You have to do crash tests and all kinds of other BS in order to get it in.

However, if the car's really old, then it's simply one of the biggest PITA projects you'll ever take on. The paperwork, state and federal regulations, and certification process are simply ridiculous. There are people who specialize in this kind of thing. A guy in Phoenix and another in San Diego. I can dig around in my files for their contact info if you're serious.

However, there is a loophole that you might want to exploit. If you bring a car over minus the drivetrain -- you could try to pass it off as a kit car. Just have the drivetrain shipped over separately then rejoined later. I haven't seen anybody do this with a production car -- but Noble does it with their supercars. The car's shipped over complete -- minus engine -- then you simply plop in a Ford powerplant.

The problem is -- if the state or feds get wind of what you're up to -- you could very well be ordered to get rid of your car, be told to never use it, or have it impounded forever PLUS get fines out the ying-yang. I wanted to bring over an HSV Avalanche -- but just don't have the bandwith to take it on at this time. Easier to just buy something already available.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.