Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have much to say or talk about tonight. I did get out and drive my Goat for a few hours today. Man...I love this car. I've improved my mileage on this tank to 18, but I'm shooting for the high 13's that I've heard tales about. :confused

Today, I found if I'm on a back road with nobody else around, that I can stop in the middle of the road, let off the clutch in 1st, and mash it...instantly setting me back in the seat, squealing, and counter-steering :rofl:

Damn, I love this car....or did I say that already?

Gerry
06 M6 on O-93

·
Registered
415 Posts
Good job on the mileage improvement!:cool At least you didn't have to
take it to the dealer! It's an ambitious goal but I do believe that
even 10 mpg can be achieved with constant attention given to
Tier one fuel or any good go juice 92 octane or higher, WOT when at
all possible, and of course, at all costs, avoid the 1-4 skip shift activation.
This of course is not a problem when you ensure that you get above
5k rpm in each gear. :lol: :cheers

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BV GTO said:
:agree I know the feeling! Mine isn't a daily driver(which is a Ford Ranger P/U 4 cylinder & 5 speed) and I love every minute I can drive it. :D
I actually forced myself to drive my Bonneville to work twice this week. That's the first time I've driven my "daily driver" more than once in a week since I got the Goat in May :lol:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
CPO's GTO said:
avoid the 1-4 skip shift activation. This of course is not a problem when you ensure that you get above
5k rpm in each gear. :lol: :cheers
If you've been following this forum, you might remember I whined about the skip shift a lot when I first got this car. Any guesses as to WHY I quit whining about that? :cheers :rofl:

I've also found that anything under 60 you're better off in 4th, below 100, just leave it in 5th. Keep the stereo off :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
ShoddyHog said:
If you've been following this forum, you might remember I whined about the skip shift a lot when I first got this car. Any guesses as to WHY I quit whining about that? :cheers :rofl:

I've also found that anything under 60 you're better off in 4th, below 100, just leave it in 5th. Keep the stereo off :D
Yep, I remember...Hardly anyone even mentions it anymore (1-4, shift light that is). And yes, keeping the stereo off/down is key I've found to many complaints about the GTO. LS2 volume must always be louder than stereo volume!:willy:

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Ya know, I don't understand how I am getting such good MPG... DON'T misunderstand me, I AM NOT complaining I am getting above average MPG's but based on many posts I am an exception.

I have posted my best MPG's in the past... 28.4 as best... I traveled from Lancaster PA to the Delaware beaches to see Foreigner at a local pub. I gassed up and took off.... 27 average mpg from home to a gas station in DE... this included stop and go driving no A/C.

The trip home was ONLY 25 MPG. These MPG's are typical for me when I drive highways. No highway driving with stop and go no A/C I log usually 18 or so MPG... I calculate it by hand as well as onboard computer and it equates the same.

I typically shift 1-3-5-6.. alternate 87 oct and 92 oct. I use barely no oil between 5 k oil changes. I drive usually 70 MPH on open road. And observe posted speed limits in town.

My 4-cyl 1988 Toyota 4Runner with a 22 R engines best MPG I ever got was only 25.9 mpg.

I guess I am lucky. I am sure I have the 6.0 engine. It sounds like it and moves like it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
burnz said:
:agree up early to. high ho high ho. I find that I drive 90% of the time in 4th down shifting to 2nd to pass a slow a** evey so often. off to work. heve a good one later.
Yeah, I'm working today too. Woke very early to thunderstorms, so I got up early to get some work done and files off to the boss. At least I get to work from home on the weekends.:D

Gerry

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CPO's GTO said:
Yep, I remember...Hardly anyone even mentions it anymore (1-4, shift light that is). And yes, keeping the stereo off/down is key I've found to many complaints about the GTO. LS2 volume must always be louder than stereo volume!:willy:
I'm going to have to do something to make the exhausts louder though. A little of that V-8 sound is very addicting. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Out here in Silicon Valley we've got computer geeks and granola eating nudists driving around in Toyota Priuses -- in the fast lane -- going 55 -- on the freeway -- oblivious to everything around them as they stare at the gas mileage gauge on the dash. Man-o-man I wish bump drafting or small arms fire was legal on public roads.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Out here in Silicon Valley we've got computer geeks and granola eating nudists driving around in Toyota Priuses -- in the fast lane -- going 55 -- on the freeway -- oblivious to everything around them as they stare at the gas mileage gauge on the dash. Man-o-man I wish bump drafting or small arms fire was legal on public roads.
Boy do I hear ya.... We have them here too, and the soccer moms in their damn mini vans yakin on the cell phone, eating and smoking at the same time. With a car full of kids. Some are reading and plucking eye brows and applying make up. All this in the passing lane at 40mph. The goat can't go that slow. One of the worse inventions for a car is the vanity mirror in the visor.

I really love the ones that have their dogs on their laps hanging out the window while wedged between their belly's and the sterring wheel. God for bid if they have to swerve in a hurry. It's no wonder road rage is alive and well.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
b_a_betterperson said:
Out here in Silicon Valley we've got computer geeks and ...
Hey Now! I'm a computer geek, and I guarantee there ain't nobody 'round here whining about the black GTO in their way :cheers

b_a_betterperson said:
Man-o-man I wish bump drafting or small arms fire was legal on public roads.
:shutme

Say the word.

·
Registered
96 Posts
ShoddyHog said:
Hey Now! I'm a computer geek, and I guarantee there ain't nobody 'round here whining about the black GTO in their way :cheers

:shutme

Say the word.
I must agree with you Shoddy, I too am a computer Geek and I have never been accused of driving too slow, most of the time it is the other way around.. Death to Rice burners and their 300 MPG. Polution is the solution!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm always at ~13 MPG. I kinda sucks to have my gas bill, but at least I have fun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Being new to the GTO, is there a mileage difference between Auto and Stick? I would have thought with the 6 speed mileage would have been in the mid 20's easy. I had a 95 Z28 with the 6 speed and drove it on a 1000 mile round trip and it got 27 MPG. Of course it was only 275 HP.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Eddie 70 said:
Being new to the GTO, is there a mileage difference between Auto and Stick? I would have thought with the 6 speed mileage would have been in the mid 20's easy. I had a 95 Z28 with the 6 speed and drove it on a 1000 mile round trip and it got 27 MPG. Of course it was only 275 HP.
I don't remember if there was a difference between the M6 and the A4 simply because I don't think I even glanced at the mileage figures :lol: I think they are pretty close though if memory serves me. I think in both cases, driver habits are the biggest factor, then terrain, then ambient atmospheric conditions.

Gerry

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Eddie 70 said:
I should have added that I've recently been on a crusaide to LOWER my MPG. For some reason, I sort of got hooked on how good the mileage is on the LS-2 and was babying it, and then one day I woke up. Now, I always run a gear lower than I need to...sometimes two. I mash the throttle when I pass any muscle car, muscle truck, or anyone else with the window down.

Heck...I even drive through town when I don't need to...same with parking lots :lol: If I see some folks that need to see a Goat, I've got to give them that opportunity :cool

Gerry

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.