Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
GTO's on the road

besides mine I have only seen 1 other in the 3 months I have had mine and I live in a very highly populated area. I also had to special order my touchup because the color is so new and Rare. only cyclone grey made in area

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The color of a car's paint can vary when viewed at different angles as the clearcoat can refract light like a prism -- thereby changing the wavelengths that are observed. Every paint does it -- some more than others.

Dupont had that Mystic Green metallic on the Cobra few years ago. The properties of that paint allowed a viewing spectrum from green to purple to brown to orange. The problem with that paint is that if you had damage to one panel -- the whole car had to be redone.

Also, the paint application process itself can vary -- thereby slightly changing the color -- given the atmospheric conditions that it was applied in, etc. Yellow Jacket, a pretty simple color, has four distinctly different variations in 2004 alone. Some other cars, like the Chrysler 300, have single paint colors that have a dozen different variations.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
b_a_betterperson said:
The color of a car's paint can vary when viewed at different angles as the clearcoat can refract light light like a prism -- thereby changing the wavelengths to the observed. Every paint does it -- some more than others.

Dupont had that Mystic Green metallic on the Cobra few years ago. The properties of that paint allowed a viewing spectrum from green to purple to brown to orange. The problem with that paint is that if you had damage to one panel -- the whole car had to be redone.

Also, the paint application process itself can vary -- thereby slightly changing the color -- given the atmospheric conditions that it was applied in. Yellow Jacket, a pretty simple color, has four distinctly different variations in 2004 alone. Some other cars, like the Chrysler 300, have single paint colors that have a dozen different variations.
So what you're saying is there could be noticeable variation from car to car? I saw one on a basically overcast day in a parking lot and up against a light grey (almost white) brick wall that appeared kind of a lighter purplish-blue, seemed strangely different (lighter) from others I've seen (mostly looked deep blue with an ever so slight tint of purple). Then again, the others I've seen under completely different conditions. I wonder if this color could vary that much depending on the amount of sunlight and surroundings, hmmm . . .

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pictures

Hi I would send you pics of my impuse blue and I use 100% carnuba with a teflon quickspray I get mixed for me. My color on the car looks like its wet. Amazing shine and I get so many reflections off it. It looks amazing at dusk.

Anyway I don't know how the hect to attach pictures onto this thing. Not a Javascript guy and when I click on the picture icon, it comes up with some http stuff. Any help you can give and I will post my pics.
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.