Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, fellow GTO owners. On account of having a couple of young boys (seven and three), I traded in my '01 Corvette coupe for an '05 GTO last week, so I'm making the jump from the Corvette Forum to this one. I'm not as regular a contributor as some, but I'll be around.

My GTO is a six-speed Impulse Blue with blue leather. What a color combo! I really like it, as does everyone who's seen it so far.

"Impulse" really is a great word to describe how I feel about this car. Even though I had the C5 for nearly five years, I can honestly say that I'm more motivated to get into this Pontiac and drive it than I was with the Vette. It's comfortable, fast, muscular, and pretty well screwed together. And despite the razzing the Goat gets from the car magazines about its styling, I gotta think they did something right to make me walk backwards into the office each morning as I stare at it. This is a dadgummed good-looking car, unlike the sad-faced Mustang. Has anyone noticed how much that car's face resembles Brent Musberger, replete with droopy eyebrows?

The coolest thing that's happened to me so far while driving was a thumbs-up from a guy in a Mercedes. Can't recall which Merc model it was, but it was small and had fat tires on huge rims. On that same drive, a guy on a sport bike paced me just off the rear corner of the car for a few miles, duplicating all my moves through traffic. Corvettes are everywhere here in metro Phoenix, but you almost never see a GTO. It's nice not to see yourself coming and going.

Speaking of rarity, it's weird how many people still have no idea Pontiac revived the GTO. I've had blank looks from several people who've asked what kind of car I bought. I tell 'em a GTO, and they think I mean a used one from the 60s. Funny.

Anyway, I hope nobody minds if I chime in with a dumb question from time to time, or with an opinion or two.

·
Registered
590 Posts
welcome to the exclusive club of owner's

like you, got a couple of kids, so I've had Z28 + 02 SS, so I could have a back seat, and now the GTO.

i've had mine since 30 September, and now have seen only three others, 1 Black, 2 Yellow, here in Houston.

No, you won't see one on every street corner, like the vettes, fbodys, mustangs, etc...

one of the coolest things about the goats :cool

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also came over from the Corvette forum. I enjoyed the C5's but like the seats and interior of the GTO better. I like the fact that people don't know what you're driving and that you don't see many other GTO's around. The exhaust note is great to listen to when going through the gears. :cheers

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the exhaust note really is awesome. My C5 always sounded muted and refined to me, whereas this thing has that basso profundo rumble.

I also think the GTO is easier to launch than the C5. Maybe it's just that I've got a brand new clutch under my left foot; I don't know. But as soon as the clutch grabs, I'm moving forward. No hesitation. The Vette used to hesitate and bog a little unless I got it just right.

And I know this car weighs, what, 500 pounds more than a Vette? But I swear that extra 50 horsepower over my C5 more than makes up for the extra heft.

The gearshift seems a little more notchy than the C5's, but the more I drive this car, the easier it is.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome !! The GTO is a great car, I purchased mine as a weekend driver...everytime I get in it :party:

:agree I have been getting lots of looks and questions...It's just amazing how many people are not aware of the new GTO, but after they learn more about the vehicle, and note the fit and finish..they come to respect it. GM missed the boat on not advertising enough!!
:cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Impulse - Right On , mine is Pulse Red ( Monaro of course ).

Yep came from the Corvetteforum as well , still have the vette although not going for some time now due to a lack of lots of things including enthusiam & money - not cheap to fix 70's BB vettes over here.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If you turn your head now, take the rear spoiler off! I can't believe how much nicer it looks without it. I think it looks sportier without it. The line of the rear window is at the perfect fastback angle, but along with the nifty little lip on the trunk is visually hidden with the spoiler on.

My two year old loves sitting in the back. I think she sits higher in the GTO than the Aurora.

·
Registered
50 Posts
GM Kid said:
Hey there, fellow GTO owners. On account of having a couple of young boys (seven and three), I traded in my '01 Corvette coupe for an '05 GTO last week, so I'm making the jump from the Corvette Forum to this one. I'm not as regular a contributor as some, but I'll be around.

My GTO is a six-speed Impulse Blue with blue leather. What a color combo! I really like it, as does everyone who's seen it so far.

"Impulse" really is a great word to describe how I feel about this car. Even though I had the C5 for nearly five years, I can honestly say that I'm more motivated to get into this Pontiac and drive it than I was with the Vette. It's comfortable, fast, muscular, and pretty well screwed together. And despite the razzing the Goat gets from the car magazines about its styling, I gotta think they did something right to make me walk backwards into the office each morning as I stare at it. This is a dadgummed good-looking car, unlike the sad-faced Mustang. Has anyone noticed how much that car's face resembles Brent Musberger, replete with droopy eyebrows?

The coolest thing that's happened to me so far while driving was a thumbs-up from a guy in a Mercedes. Can't recall which Merc model it was, but it was small and had fat tires on huge rims. On that same drive, a guy on a sport bike paced me just off the rear corner of the car for a few miles, duplicating all my moves through traffic. Corvettes are everywhere here in metro Phoenix, but you almost never see a GTO. It's nice not to see yourself coming and going.

Speaking of rarity, it's weird how many people still have no idea Pontiac revived the GTO. I've had blank looks from several people who've asked what kind of car I bought. I tell 'em a GTO, and they think I mean a used one from the 60s. Funny.

Anyway, I hope nobody minds if I chime in with a dumb question from time to time, or with an opinion or two.

Great color Combo!! I held out for that combo with the M6 and almost did not get one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
westell said:
welcome to the exclusive club of owner's

like you, got a couple of kids, so I've had Z28 + 02 SS, so I could have a back seat, and now the GTO.

i've had mine since 30 September, and now have seen only three others, 1 Black, 2 Yellow, here in Houston.

No, you won't see one on every street corner, like the vettes, fbodys, mustangs, etc...

one of the coolest things about the goats :cool
Wesltell Where in Houston are you located.. I am in the Kingwood area and I finally ran into someone witha torrid red 04 yesterday with an awesome aftermarked hood.. Other than that I always see a yellow 04 parked at a Dominoes pizza, and the only other was a black with dark grey racing stripes.. That would not happen to be you would it???? Just curious looking for some other goat owners in my area..

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LS2Bluegoat said:
Great color Combo!! I held out for that combo with the M6 and almost did not get one.
Yeah, I really love the blue seats. My wife and co-worker rolled their eyes when I told them what I wanted, but then they saw how they actually look in the car and they agreed that they're really tasteful.

It's pretty cool that the only cars that get truly color-coordinated seats are the Phantom Black, Torrid Red and Impulse Blue ones. You can get red with silver and red with black, but I'm talking about matching exterior and interior colors. And of all those combos, the blue seats ONLY come with Impulse Blue, so it's probably not that common.

My dealer here in Mesa had an Impulse Blue/black car that I test drove a week ago Friday, but I told them to search for blue over blue. They found one in Yuma, of all places, and sent someone down there to trailer it back. I was pretty nervous about that, but it turned out okay. The only disappointment I've really had was that there was an ever-so-slight dent in the hood near the front passenger-side corner. The dealer agreed to fix it, so I bought the car. They sent a guy out to my work on Friday of last week, and he put a tool through the slot on the underside of the hood and pushed the dent out. It's virtually impossible to find now, although I can find it if I go looking for it.

But, then, you can always find trouble if you go looking for it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
My dealer here in Houston was great. They have a blue on back auto on the showroom floor and I told them I wanted M6 Blue on Blue. When I left the night of the deal they had secured one from a dealer in Dallas. They were going to send a porter to get it or charge me $300 to have it brought on a flat bed. I said that I would ride up with the porter and drive it back myself. So the next morning I got to the Dealer and my salesman told me there was a problem. The delaer in Dallas backed out on the trade becuase they were getting $3000 above sticker up there and I got mine for MSRP -700). So the hunt was on. I was at there all day while they were on the phone trying to find my car. Finally at 3:30 there was not my color combo to be found within 200 miles that would do the deal for them.. I almost settled on Cyclone grey but at the last minute a dealer just south of Dallas said they would gif there Blue on Blue up. this was at 4:00 they closed at 7:00 Myself and a porter hauled ass to this dealer and made it there by 7:15 (198 miles) I was so happy that I had the car in my hands but man was it a long drive home trying not to exceed 55mph or get rocks or bugs all over it. I was worried that I was not going to get it..

·
Registered
50 Posts
GTO-Quikls2 said:
I picked up my Impulse Blue 05 yesterday. And, like you impulse is a good word. I got rid of my 99 Trans Am after seeing the Impulse Blue but a quick test drive really sold the deal. One hell of a car.

Sweet!! :party:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.