Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 66 was hit by a car going about 40 and sustained a beat up bumper, minor frame damage and the gas tank took a decent hit.

The car is still at the body shop and is being finished up, but I am worried about rust coming loose from the original gas tank. I was going to get another tank, but we were close to the max budget insurance allowed and I forgot to follow up with it. No leaks or anything, but I'm worried about feeding the engine rust and other junk from the tank.

Should I just have a few fuel filters handy and change them every few hundred miles? Wait even longer (been over a month and a half already) and get the insurance guy out and tell them to authorize an order for a new gas tank? After a quick search I don't even know where to find a new/repro one.

The accident killed my whole summer restoration plans. I really just want my baby back already. If I tell the shop to get a tank, it will probably be another week and a half before she's ready.

What do you all think?

·
Super Moderator
5,754 Posts
I'd probably go for the tank replacement. I understand not wanting to wait or hassle with the insurance, but then if you get it back and have a problem then you're going to be out some money AND have to do without the car for awhile.

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Gas tanks have internal baffles, and the pickup, float, and sender need clearance, which is sometimes pretty tight. A hammered tank is no longer a safe tank, IMO. Replace it. Perhaps a used omne from the classifieds on the PY forums...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts