Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a Pioneer In-Dash DVD Screen to my GTO yesterday, it looks great and works great in the GTO, however, I did lose the 6 cd changer :mad:
I guess thats the price I pay! Anyway, I was just letting everyone know that they do make an In-dash wiring and mounting kit for the GTO, however they are only on special oreder right now(thats how I got mine). So know that when you go in to find one, make sure you tell them that they will have to order it, bceause they will not have it in stock!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Aren't screens that can be seen by the driver illegal? I know this gets "funny" with such things as navigation devices with map screens, but the driver is supposed to be watching the road 100% of the time.

On the other hand, I've always felt that smooth plastic at the top of the radio would be a great place for a pop-up screen.

---Larry

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LarryM said:
Aren't screens that can be seen by the driver illegal? I know this gets "funny" with such things as navigation devices with map screens, but the driver is supposed to be watching the road 100% of the time.

On the other hand, I've always felt that smooth plastic at the top of the radio would be a great place for a pop-up screen.

---Larry
You, Are Correct that having the screen up while driving is illegal, and most of the players will not let the screen up without the parking brake on. But a lot of shops will ground the wire that allows you to watch while driving which is what I did. I find it very hard to concentrate while watching obviously so I rarely have the screen up other than when im parked

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi

I want to get a alpine one with navigation and dvd and things all together when i get my car this week. I was just wondering if you know you are going to put in the dvd screen and when they install the system they will have to take the 6cd changer out, can you just tell the dealer to take it out and tell them to lower the price of the car?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Be careful with that. Not just for the obvious reason of traffic saftey.

A friend was taking a Xmas present wrapped up in shiny blue paper. The police pulled her over thinking she had a TV set on. I guess its something they watch for very closely.

---Larry

·
Registered
116 Posts
Any Type Of Tv Or Dvd Screen That Is Visible To The Driver Is Illegal. If You Get A Ticket For It A Judge's First Question Will Be Has It Been Removed? Followed By Some Type Of Proof That It Has Been Removed. Navigation And Mapping Devices Are Ok.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's not the screen being visible that matters but if you are actually watching something on it. Every single in-dash DVD player has a visible screen while driving that works as nothing more than a huge headunit display. You have to have the parking brake on for the actual DVD player to function. Most in-dash units can also work as a navigation system if buy the hardware. There's a difference between doing something criminal and having the means to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey, could you post the dash kit part number and wiring harness number. I'm sure when I go to buy one, they'll look at me like I don't know what I'm talkign about with the number in my hand.. Is the dash kit a single or double din kit? I know the single one is out, I didn't know about the double? Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I Agree With You To A Certain Extent Muohio. Just Becuase One Has A Dvd Player Installed In Their Vehicle That A Driver Can See Doesn't Mean They'll Use It While Driving. But The Means To Doing Something Criminal Still Exists. In My State If The Driver Can See It Even If The Passenger Is Watching It From Their Side Of The Car It's Illegal. I Say If You Want 1 And Can Be Responsible With It Then Get 1.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a double in-fact. I dont have the model nuber on it because when i got it installed the guys threw out the plastic that the unit was stored in! Oops. Also to clarify, things, you can get the screen wired to be up while driving, all the places will ask you to do is sign a waiver! I had mine wired like that, but It is impossible to watch anything while driving anyways, so I usually just save the movies for while I am parked and waiting for someone! The Pioneer that I have has an integrated navigation system in it, that I upgraded to, so if a cop ever pull me over for the screen I can just flash it over to the navigation! Ill Get picture for you guys soon.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Steering Controls actually do still work because when I had it wired, I told the guys to hook it up to the wheel! I have the Pioneer, and they were able to do it, so if you ask them they will tell you if they can do it or not! :cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
SasdawgGTO said:
My Steering Controls actually do still work because when I had it wired, I told the guys to hook it up to the wheel! I have the Pioneer, and they were able to do it, so if you ask them they will tell you if they can do it or not! :cheers
Pics please!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts