Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've heard rumor and innuendo that a decent cold air intake increases fuel efficiency noticably. Any truth to that?

Personally, I have my doubts. Sure, you may net a modest HP gain and a cool whooosh sound, but...

I'd like to hear from you guys with a CAI fitted. Have any of you folks with CAIs seen better fuel economy?

·
Registered
27 Posts
exhuast and superchargers also help fuel economy, which is why i have them, or at least thats what i say. also i would invest in the tornado i know most people dont beleive in it but it is only 50 bucks and adds an extra mile or 2 per gallon becuase it makes the air swirl like it would with a supercharger and they claim it adds 35 rwhp i personally dont think it does maybe 2 or 3 but when you get the speed up it does feel a bit quicker with it than without

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
RiceEaterFordBeater said:
exhuast and superchargers also help fuel economy, which is why i have them, or at least thats what i say. also i would invest in the tornado i know most people dont beleive in it but it is only 50 bucks and adds an extra mile or 2 per gallon becuase it makes the air swirl like it would with a supercharger and they claim it adds 35 rwhp i personally dont think it does maybe 2 or 3 but when you get the speed up it does feel a bit quicker with it than without
I sell fuzzy dice that add 3mpg. Only $199.99. Plus tax.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tornadooooo

RiceEaterFordBeater said:
Our Local TV station did a long distance, back to back test of the Tornado,,and it actually reduced gas mileage on one vehicle and raised it less than 1 mpg on others which could be the error factor;;they deemed it a total waste of $50,,,,,pure Snake Oil!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
in order for tornado and non tornado equppied cars they need to be given the exact same amount of accceloration. when i had my tornado in i drove it harder than without and still picked up an extra mpg maybe it effects autos differently compared to manuals, i shift from first at 20 all the time and from 2nd to 3rd at 35 3rd to 4th at 45 4th to 5th at 50 and sixth anytime im at or over 45. and also with an automatic it always shifts at a different point so there are alot of things the news may have overlooked these are just some i could think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Groucho said:
I've heard rumor and innuendo that a decent cold air intake increases fuel efficiency noticably. Any truth to that?

Back to the question at hand. I installed my K&N CAI two days ago. I did not notice any mpg improvement for mine. I'm even a bit concerned it might have gone down a bit but we are having some stiff winds right now. I'm going 200+ miles to OK City tomorrow so I should get a good reading from that (if winds don't kick-up). Sound was not as loud a roar as I expected - had to get into it pretty good to hear it. I do feel it pulling harder. Others have talked how the stock intake system does a pretty good job of cold air induction - however, I'm still looking where it comes from. I thought it came from the grill area and around the headlight but that is all blocked off. Seems the primary inlet are the small slots in the radiator cover just behind the drivers-side headlight. With the stock box out, there were two more openings going into the fender well that were opened up. I think the engine may be choked and the CAI (along with being less restrictive) opens it up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
CAI mpg

I am still letting things settle in after putting in my Lingenfelter CAI. I am not sure yet if there is any mpg change. I am still having too much fun pushing the throttle to the floor any chance I get, as I have since I got my car. :D
BTW: I don't get a cool "whooshing sound," but I do hear more deep, throaty noise from under my hood when I push on the accelerator. :party:

Later,
Maximental

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'd like to know some comparisons between Lingenfelter's, New ERA's, and K&N's CAI systems. Before I purchase, I'd like to see some sort of comparison (I know there won't be very much difference, but there's just something in my brain that needs to know) :confused

·
Registered
410 Posts
79TA&04GTO said:
I'd like to know some comparisons between Lingenfelter's, New ERA's, and K&N's CAI systems. Before I purchase, I'd like to see some sort of comparison (I know there won't be very much difference, but there's just something in my brain that needs to know) :confused
You need to asks specific questions on what you want compared. Do you want 0-60 times, installation easy, MPG impacts, etc. I'm not sure you are going to get that unless someone has a lot of time on their hads and does this as a service to all us GTO owners.

I spent time reading as many forum comments as I could from all those installing CAIs. There are lots of varying opinions out there. I got the K&N for several reasons based on what I read.

1) The directions were clear and covered all aspects of the installation.
2) It came with a heat shield
3) The induction tube was one piece with no seams or steps from going from rubber tubing or elbows to straight tubes (smoother air flow)
4) The induction tube was made of plastic to minimize heat transfer
5) It had a heat shield

Now that I've had my own experience installing the K&N, I feel I made the right choice. The heat shield is not air tight by any means but I can easily make it that way with some pipe insulation from HomeDepot.

Keep searching the forums and read all you can.

BTW, on my run up to OK City today, I did not even average 24 mpg. However, there was at least a 30 mph headwind. I'm having to rely on the trip computer because the last to times I've filled up, the pump is shutting off before the tank is full (about 2 gallons short). I know this is a known problem but I haven't seen anything lately about why this is or how to fix it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Xman said:
BTW, on my run up to OK City today, I did not even average 24 mpg. However, there was at least a 30 mph headwind. I'm having to rely on the trip computer because the last to times I've filled up, the pump is shutting off before the tank is full (about 2 gallons short). I know this is a known problem but I haven't seen anything lately about why this is or how to fix it.

The same thing happens to me, but only when I fill the car from empty. :confused

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Xman said:
One of my customers had this problem and it wound up being the fuel level sensor, we replaced it and he didn't have any more issues. Hope this helps. :cheers
BTW, if you plan on running a larger maf or tb then get the New Era, the K & N is too small!

·
Registered
177 Posts
XMan, I'm leaning more towards hp and torque gains. 0-60 times don't matter to me, I'm more into cruising at 70-75 and downshifting and tearing someone a new one.

MPG gains are nice, especially since the gas prices keep rising, but my main point of interest is power gains.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There is a company here in the VA beach area called JTI that makes CAI's mostly for Mustangs but he is developing one for my 05 GTO. He averages 20HP to the wheel and in some cases there is so much extra air flow that a tune is needed meaning even more HP. I will post numbers as soon as we are done.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.